fixed - Passages being broken up into smaller readings

Posts36Likes21Joined8/6/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Dutch, Russian, Vietnamese

I noticed that passages are now broken up into smaller readings much more often. What is the reason for this? Can we have any decision on when it gets broken/vs not or in what part it gets broken up? Or at least at the end of a sentence? Just curious on your thoughts.

- bbyj

Posted 
Posts1658Likes1103Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Italian
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

There's a ticket on this already - we were trying to fix the slowness some users were experiencing.

bbyj wrote:
Can we have any decision on when it gets broken/vs not or in what part it gets broken up? Or at least at the end of a sentence? Just curious on your thoughts.
I didn't know about the end of the sentence issue. Size wise, I think it's a bit short now. It's based on amount of text. I'd like it to allow at least as much text as the longest "LC Conversation" passages. They are 6-min conversations, but probably speak faster than most videos, so I’m guessing it would be roughly equivalent to a 10 min video. What do you think?

Learning Italian every day!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Italian
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

fyi - it's back to where it was before. Since there will be far fewer breaks now, the sentence break issue will be less common. So we'll save budget for now and delay this possible improvement.

Posted 
Posts36Likes21Joined8/6/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Dutch, Russian, Vietnamese

leosmith wrote:
There's a ticket on this already - we were trying to fix the slowness some users were experiencing.
bbyj wrote:
Can we have any decision on when it gets broken/vs not or in what part it gets broken up? Or at least at the end of a sentence? Just curious on your thoughts.
I didn't know about the end of the sentence issue. Size wise, I think it's a bit short now. It's based on amount of text. I'd like it to allow at least as much text as the longest "LC Conversation" passages. They are 6-min conversations, but probably speak faster than most videos, so I’m guessing it would be roughly equivalent to a 10 min video. What do you think?

It would be nice to allow the user freedom to choose what they break things up by. I know some websites like this have a "sentence mode" where they view each sentence as a single page. That may be useful for languages you don't know that well, but for languages you know well, I think it's better to have a longer passage. 

Thanks for fixing this for us!

- bbyj

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Italian

Ok, we'll put that suggestion on the backlog. Locking this topic.

Posted 
    Feedback