Is Immersion Really Necessary?

Posts7Likes11Joined25/4/2021LocationI move a lot :p / IS
Native
English
Learning Greek - Modern, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili

Is Immersion Really Necessary?

If you’ve ever tried to learn a new language, you’ve probably heard about language “immersion” – probably touted as the best way to learn a new language. Maybe as the only way!

So what’s that all about?

“Language immersion” – what is it, anyway?

Maybe you’ve heard someone roll off the virtues of this method. Experts constantly tout the advantages of learning a language through full immersion. It’s also championed by students of the method. All in all, it’s generally agreed by the language-learning community that immersion is an effective way to learn a new language.

So what is it? In case you’re not 100% familiar with the terminology, here’s a refresher. The term “language immersion” means that, rather than study a language within your native language (L1) environment, you enter settings where the language is a necessary means of communication. An example of this is a home-stay with speakers of your target language (L2), where the L2 becomes a necessary part of survival.

The term “immersion” is also used in environments where, rather than being studied as a subject per se, the target language is used to convey other information. This commonly can mean using the target language for instruction in other subjects (such as a maths class taught in French). Particularly for kids, this method has gained widespread utilisation.

So that’s immersion. It changes a target language from being a subject of study to a necessary means of communication – pretty much how you learned your first language!

Why is language immersion so great?

It’s a highly-effective method of language acquisition. Here are some of the recognised advantages:

But is immersion the only way to learn a new language?

However, maybe you don’t have the time or resources to go and live for six months in China. Maybe you have ailing parents, or little kids. Maybe you’re lucky to get two consecutive weeks off work! If, for whatever reason, you’re not able to enter into a full immersion programme, are you cursed to never fully learn your L2?

Of course not! There are actually quite a few ways that you can immerse yourself in a new language without having to actually travel to a country where it’s the only thing spoken!

• Join an online group where ONLY your target language is spoken. These don’t have to be certified language teachers (though obviously it’ll help if they are!) but there are plenty of groups – through WhatsApp and such – dedicated to sharing new languages and cultures. These are often geared towards speakers of other languages (often English) so you’ll receive plenty of help and support from the native speakers of your L2 – but ideally without resorting to translations into English to explain things!
  • Label things in your house. It sounds silly, but this is a great way to learn vocabulary. As you walk outside, if you’re learning Russian you’ll remember that you’re walking through the дверь, turning the ключ in the замке and checking the ручку to make sure it’s locked! And if your language, like Russian, has different forms depending on the word’s position in the sentence, include these on the card, along with any genders. e.g. “замок (м.) в замке” or “ручка/ручку (ж.)”. Do not write any English on these, though!
  • Watch TV shows (or movies) in your target language. Here is one method of doing this: watch it three times. The first time, watch it with foreign audio but English subtitles, so that you understand everything. The second time, watch it with audio AND subtitles in your target language. You’ll be able to follow it because you already know what happens, but you’ll be immersed in your target language. Then, if you have time, watch it a third time, cutting the subtitles completely. It’s as immersive an experience as you can get from home!
  • Then team up with someone in your language-learning community, and do the “24 hour” challenge of only speaking in the new language. The advantage of this method is that it’ll move L2 acquisition from the “want it” to the “need it” category in your mind. Temporarily forget English, and you’ll be forced to express yourself and communicate entirely in your L2!

All of the above methods are great ways to have a language-immersive experience without having to travel far – or at all!

But that’s still all immersion. Are there other ways to learn?

Granted, all of the above-outlined strategies, while achievable at home without travel to China, are still, fundamentally, methods of language immersion. Are there other ways to learn a new language?

Yes, there are. And, furthermore, depending on your preferred mode of learning, and the time you have, they might be more effective! Immersion might not be the best way to learn a new language if you’re just starting out.

As an article from the Go Overseas website states, even people with the means to travel may want to opt for a tutor. “Trained, experienced teachers know how best to structure a class so that students can make progress in steps. They’ll teach you the necessary grammar so you understand why you say things the way you do” (https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/language-learning-immersion-versus-classroom). Granted, we all learned our L1s through immersion. But it takes babies years to learn how to speak effectively. As adults, we can use well-guided study to shorten that time frame.

In the end, immersion is a good way to learn a language, but it may not be practical. Having an experienced second-language tutor may be a better option for you. However, if it is an option, combining tutoring with an immersive experience, such as a language-immersive classroom, would be even better. This will get you both the exposure and guidance that you need to become truly fluent in a second language.

So let’s go, allons-y, and empezamos!

Jane/Juana/Joana/Иванна (she/her/ella/ela/она)

Edited 
Do you want to crush your language goals? Sign up here.
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Beautifully written and super informative. I wholeheartedly agree with immersion being a sure-fire way to learn, I find you throw the books out the window once you visit the country and find the people do not speak the language presented educationally any way.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with immersion being a sure-fire way to learn

That's interesting. I think that being immersed while studying a language gives one a big advantage over not being immersed. But I also believe immersion by itself does not guarantee success in language learning. For example, in any foreign country, you can find large groups of expats who make little effort at learning the language, and as a result don't learn much.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
Beautifully written and super informative. I wholeheartedly agree with immersion being a sure-fire way to learn, I find you throw the books out the window once you visit the country and find the people do not speak the language presented educationally any way.

Yes, immersion a wonderful way to learn a language. But it's important to have a knowledgeable tutor too!

Posted 
Native
English

leosmith wrote:
Jade.Xuereb wrote:

That's interesting. I think that being immersed while studying a language gives one a big advantage over not being immersed. But I also believe immersion by itself does not guarantee success in language learning. For example, in any foreign country, you can find large groups of expats who make little effort at learning the language, and as a result don't learn much.

This is very true, and good observation. This is why having a native tutor is essential!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

janestrut wrote:
having a native tutor is essential!

I think it's a matter of personal preference, provided you can get enough conversation practice with non-tutor native speakers. For example, I prefer to study everything but conversation on my own. If I were immersed, I would converse with locals a lot.

Posted 
Native
English

leosmith wrote:
Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Oh we have plenty of British here in Spain with no intention of ever learning more than gracias and porfavor for their cervezas but I think You have to be willing to learn and want to learn. Then I think immersion works like wildfire my children were almost fluent in 6 months out here little sponges

Edited 
Native
English

leosmith wrote:
janestrut wrote:
having a native tutor is essential!

I think it's a matter of personal preference, provided you can get enough conversation practice with non-tutor native speakers. For example, I prefer to study everything but conversation on my own. If I were immersed, I would converse with locals a lot.

I feel like I only improve and expand with exposure. You have to speak back if someone is talking to you, the topics vary in a natural conversation more than in a textbook etc

Posted 
Posts10Likes4Joined30/4/2021LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Spanish

Thank you for sharing this article. Totally agree with you.

I try to immerse as much as possible. What I do is listen and watch 

youtube videos. When I watch a movie, I try to find something that has 

more dialogue time. Turning on the annotations in Netflix is helpful.

As for interacting with a native speaker, I believe I average around 3 hours

through a language exchange every week.

What I lack is the writing part but oh well. jaja.

Nunca pares de cuestionar y aprender

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined17/10/2021LocationAtlanta / US
Native
English
Learning Spanish

Regarding this topic - Has anyone heard of Refold and their immersion method? 

Posted 
Posts42Likes23Joined4/5/2020LocationGH
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Swahili, Chinese - Cantonese

Aprender.Espanol wrote:

Hadn't heard of them until you mentioned it, but upon Googling, it doesn't seem like anything special. As soon as I got to the section on "How Do Children Acquire Language?" I tuned out. I'm not a child, I'm not interested in learning how children learn, children aren't particularly efficient learners either. Any method that uses children as a guide for adult learners loses me quickly.

???

Posted 
Posts10Likes4Joined30/4/2021LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Spanish

Aprender.Espanol wrote:

I believe this is just the comprehensible input method (as a base) with a cool sounding name.

I believe exposing yourself to the language as much as possible will lead to favorable results.

I like to investigate all the methods available and see what value I can pick up from them.

For me there is so much more to learn without having a purist attitude.

Nunca pares de cuestionar y aprender

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Animefangirl wrote:
I'm not a child, I'm not interested in learning how children learn, children aren't particularly efficient learners either. Any method that uses children as a guide for adult learners loses me quickly.

Although some people like it, I agree with this. Another thing that surprises me is strong suggestions all over the internet to use children's books to learn. I've tried this, and there was always some strange vocabulary (ferries, wizards, shrinking, weird lyrics to songs, etc.) and/or they weren't interesting enough to keep me motivated. But to each their own.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Raymond.S. wrote:
For me there is so much more to learn without having a purist attitude.

Yup. It used to be more often, but every few years I read something or try something new that radically changes the way I learn. Keeping an open mind is very helpful.

Posted 
Posts1Likes1Joined18/8/2023LocationUS

Are there effective language-learning methods other than immersion? While immersion is often hailed, could well guided study with a tutor be more practical for certain learners?

How do these approaches compare in terms of fluency development?

Levi😊

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

levi.taylor wrote:
Are there effective language-learning methods other than immersion? While immersion is often hailed, could well guided study with a tutor be more practical for certain learners?How do these approaches compare in terms of fluency development?
There are many effective language-learning methods, guided study with a tutor being one of them. It's hard to compare them in terms of fluency development - I don't know of any studies that do this, but would love to read some. Your best bet may be to try various methods and stick with the one that works best for you. To get a list of methods, you can google or ask chatgpt.

Posted 
Posts1Likes0Joined18/10/2023Location

janestrut wrote:
Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Yes, immersion a wonderful way to learn a language. But it's important to have a knowledgeable tutor too!

Exactly! Without a proper tutor, you can not make it fast though. It's better to keep up with a proper tutor. 

Posted 
Posts1Likes0Joined26/3/2024LocationUS
Learning English

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Absolutely spot on! Immersion is key And the reality check you get when you're there is priceless. It's like discovering a whole new language within the language!

Posted 
Want to learn more? See the other blog posts
    Feedback