Are you learning similar or different languages?

I have learned one or more foreign languages to an intermediate level or better that has (compared to my native language):

18.2%

18.2%

63.6%

0%

This poll will run forever.

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

There is a lot of interesting discussion here regarding learning methodology, but I often find myself thinking “that won’t work very well for hard language”. I chalk up this feeling to the variety of languages I learn. I was just wondering if there are any like minded people out there, so I created the poll.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined29/6/2022LocationStrasbourg / FR
Native
French
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, English, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Maori, Spanish, Swahili, Turkish

Am I the only one thinking different languages are easier than closer ones? I'm French. I hardly can remember anything from my Spanish, but despite of this I can understand Spanish, Italian and sometimes Portuguese. I'm so lazy learning these languages, even if I find Italian a beautiful one. I find the learning boring, there is no surprise and whether I remember pretty well the word as it looks like French, but there are a lot of false friends and about the gender of nouns it's awful as they are not always the same as in French.

On the other hand, exotic languages are much more interesting to learn I think. The learning is always surprising, fun, and sharp my mind (I rethink my habits, my way of cohabit with the reality and the word). Furthermore, I remember pretty well the words. Moreover, it's because I find the language I learn *lovelyer than Spanish for instance. 

kävelämä

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Antlers.Kvl wrote:
exotic languages are much more interesting to learn
If you are more motivated to learn "hard" languages than "easy" ones, then it makes sense to me that you find them easier.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts16Likes9Joined18/10/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Swahili
Other Chinese - Mandarin, Hindi, Russian, Spanish, Thai

I almost deliberately chose different languages, because I felt I would get the languages mixed up. For instance, although I can understand about 70% of portugues when they speak, when I tried to learn it, it just seemed to close to spanish. So I just went with something different, therefore, in my mind learning them all simutaneously, i wont get them mixed up. 

I guess its all about the way we approach the language. 

Posted 
    Feedback