Some words displayed wrong in self-uploaded texts

Posts10Likes4Joined27/4/2021LocationDE
Native
English
Learning Catalan, Chinese - Mandarin, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Croatian, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Portuguese, Spanish

I've noticed that sometimes one word in a text I'm reading will appear as a completely different random word, sometimes in an entirely different language. See the attached screenshot for an example; the indicated word on the left is supposed to be "activerait" but it looks like "luurankosi", which seems to be a Finnish word from what I can tell.

The interesting thing is that when I go to edit the text, the Finnish word no longer appears in this spot – instead, the proper French word "activerait" is there, exactly where it's supposed to be. (See second screenshot.)

When I click "Save and open" and go back to that spot in the text, however, the Finnish word is still there. It also remains when I refresh the page, and when I open a different text and then return to this one. Any ideas what could be going on?

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jinx wrote:
Any ideas what could be going on?

Hi Jinx - we're really sorry about that. I've never seen this before - can you give me a link to this passage, or any passage where it seems to happen repeatedly? Also, can you remind me of your browser/version/platform?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Catalan, Chinese - Mandarin, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Croatian, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Portuguese, Spanish

Hey Leo, thanks for the response :) Here's the passage where that was happening (the spot in question is on p. 1 of the passage) – let me know if you need me to make it public.

https://languagecrush.com/reading/21844/read

I'm on Mac OS Catalina, using Firefox version 104.0.

It's not a big deal, because this has only happened twice that I recall (and I use the site a lot, because I love it!) – I just thought it was a particularly interesting bug ;)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Thanks very much for providing that - strange indeed! I was able to reproduce it, and have written a ticket. We'll keep you posted.

Posted 
Native
English

Thanks very much Leo, I appreciate it!

Posted 
Native
English

Just FYI, I've found another one, from a different passage – but both passages came from the same original text. See screenshots below; the word that's supposed to be "déroutante" appears as "Admata" (no idea what language that is).

Here's the link to the passage in question:

https://languagecrush.com/reading/21849/read

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Thanks! The ticket is in work, but this additional passage may help them.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Jinx wrote:
I've noticed that sometimes one word in a text I'm reading will appear as a completely different random word
Hi Jinx, we think we've fixed this. Our technical team says "she'll need to edit slightly/save again to see the update". Can you please verify that it's working now?

Posted 
Native
English

Hi Leo, this is very strange. I went back to the first passage (the one with the word "luurankosi") and tried all the following things:

- I deleted and re-inserted a space, and then clicked "Save & Open". Result: no change (the Finnish word was still there).

- I added an extra space at the end of the passage, and clicked "Save & Open". No change.

- I deleted the word "activerait" from the sentence and manually typed it back in, and clicked "Save & Open". No change.

- I deleted the word "activerait" and did not replace it, and clicked "Save & Open". Result: the sentence appeared with that word missing, as expected.

- I then opened the passage for editing again, manually typed in the correct word again, and clicked "Save & Open". Result: the Finnish word was back.

- I deleted the word again, clicked "Save & Add Another", then navigated my way back to the passage in question again and edited it to include the correct word again. Result: the Finnish word was still there.

- I also tried refreshing the page after several of these attempts.

- I tried editing "activerait" to be intentionally misspelled "activarait", and clicked "Save & Open". Result: the misspelled French word appeared exactly as I'd typed it.

- But when I edited the passage again to fix the "typo" and clicked "Save & Open", the Finnish word was back once more.

- I tried restarting my computer. No change.

- I tried clearing my browser cache and all site data. No change.

- I tried using a different browser (Chrome). No change.

I am honestly just chuckling at this point. What a stubborn little bug this is!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Oh wow, thanks for checking so thoroughly! Sorry that it still isn't fixed. I forwarded your post to the technical team. 

Posted 
Native
English

No problem, I've been on the other side of the tech support "table" before, so I like to try to supply y'all with as much helpful data as possible :)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Jinx wrote:
No problem, I've been on the other side of the tech support "table" before, so I like to try to supply y'all with as much helpful data as possible :)

Hi Jinx,

I think it's fixed now - can you please verify?

Posted 
Native
English

Well, this is odd. The two links I originally posted, to two different passages where this error was occurring (sections 09 and 14 of the book "Et si c'était vrai"), now lead to two identical copies of the second passage, section 14. Or rather, I guess the text content of section 09 has now been overwritten with the text content from section 14? If you open both links, you'll see that, although one is labeled as section 09 and one as section 14, they are identical in terms of content (they both start with "Il la vit de loin"). This was not originally the case when I uploaded them.

In any case, there is also good – if confusing – news. When I opened the link to section 09, I saw the original "weird word", "luurankosi", appearing as the very first word in the passage. It was immediately followed by all the text that makes up the content of section 14, including the word "Admata". But when I went to edit the passage, I was able to delete the word "activerait" from the very beginning of the passage (appearing as "luurankosi"), and also deleted an extra space that hadn't been there before from after the word "déroutante" (appearing as "Admata") – and when I hit save and opened the passage again, both "luurankosi" and "Admata" were gone. And "déroutante" does appear correctly, exactly where it's supposed to be! Yay!

I can't check if the first passage (section 09, the one that's supposed to contain the word "activerait") is fixed, because that passage has been overwritten with the content of section 14. But this does seem to suggest that the problem has been fixed, even if something a little odd happened along the way. (It's no big deal to "lose" a section – I'd already finished reading that book anyway.)

Thanks very much for the help, Leo!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Thanks Jinx! I copied one of you passages to test this out, so that may be the overwriting issue; not sure about that though. If the original issue happens in any new texts, please let us know.

Posted 
Posts11Likes6Joined11/9/2022LocationES
Native
Catalan, Spanish
Learning French, Japanese, Russian

Hi there, I've experienced the same bug

In my case, if I create a French passage with the text "Brandon avait péri à l’âge de vingt ans", it switches péri (to die) to prié (to pray)

This can be a game changer in terms of the story events, hope the devs kill Brandon once and for all (joke)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Jori wrote:
if I create a French passage with the text "Brandon avait péri à l’âge de vingt ans", it switches péri (to die) to prié (to pray)
Thanks - ticket written.

Posted 
    Feedback