The 4 stages of learning

Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I watched a Jiujitsu video on YT and one dude mentioned the 4 stages of learning as a guide to one's journey in learning anything. Basically there are four stages of learning that everyone transitions through when learning a new skill. 

Stage 1: Unconscious Incompetence.

Stage 2: Conscious Incompetence. 

Stage 3: Conscious Competence. 

Stage 4: Unconscious Competence.

I thought about my development in Japanese and I'd have to say that this is an accurate representation of my learning path. I think I am still at Stage 2 and I'm totally fine with it. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

Omg, such an awesome description! I totally understand this and it is so true! 

I especially understand the unconscious competence, like for example when musicians, or dancers, real professional performers of any kind, simply play or dance but the whole memory is in their body and mental. That is how dancers can smile and act and feel like their consciousness is actually elsewhere, in joy and bliss for example, while their performance or body is extra strenuous, so it seems absolutely effortless! You just let the whole knowledge and practice take over you. 

I love this categorisation. If I am taking on a new activity now, I usually start or try to start with the second already, conscious incompetence, since as adults I believe we make conscious decisions, so we already now where we are. And it's great to start by knowing you actually have zero knowledge about this, but let's try it! :))) 

And in performance, or sports, the bow to unpredictability is also important I believe. You never quit, but you also never know what will turn out. It's super exciting, when you're doing what you genuinely love doing.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Thank you for sharing!! I feel so identified with those stages, great way to describe the learning process! 

Posted 
    Feedback