Kimchi?

Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

What is Kimchi? This is a Korean dish made of vegetables. I came across this word in my android phone where saying "Kimchi" will capture pictures. Interesting :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I really like kimchi. Sometimes, my wife and I will go out to the nearest Korean diner and order some kimchi chigae or kimchi stew. Here's how it is made!

On rainy mornings, we sometimes feel too lazy to make breakfast. So I just chop up some kimchi, dump it in a wok of leftover rice and then make it into kimchi fried rice!  

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I eat it cold for it's probiotic effects. Cook it, and that goes away.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

leosmith wrote:
I eat it cold for it's probiotic effects. Cook it, and that goes away.

Mmm, true. You wouldn't get the gastrointestinal benefit anymore, but you'd still get a nice anti-inflammatory effect from the dead bacteria. Or so these guys say.

We like cold kimchi too. It's a great companion to a lot of stuff, especially ramyeon with mushrooms :D

Posted 

Honestly speaking i did not know that it was a dish. I came across this one through my mobile phone camera app. By the way i will try this one :

)

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Kimchi is really good but is an acquired taste. My mother in law is Korean and at first I died like it. I found that the smell was too strong. But I gave it a try and now I love it. Plus as Leo stated is a great source of probiotics. I like it raw or Kimchi soup which is one of my favorites. You should treat yourself to a Korean restaurant dinner.

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

I really like kimchi. Sometimes, my wife and I will go out to the nearest Korean diner and order some kimchi chigae or kimchi stew. Here's how it is made!

On rainy mornings, we sometimes feel too lazy to make breakfast. So I just chop up some kimchi, dump it in a wok of leftover rice and then make it into kimchi fried rice! :grin:

Yes, yes and yes to all those ways to eat kimchi, specially the soup :grinning::ok_hand:

-Ari-

Posted 

Now i think i am the only man on this planet who was unaware of Kimchi :)

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Ari wrote:
Kimchi is really good but is an acquired taste. My mother in law is Korean and at first I died like it. I found that the smell was too strong. But I gave it a try and now I love it. Plus as Leo stated is a great source of probiotics. I like it raw or Kimchi soup which is one of my favorites. You should treat yourself to a Korean restaurant dinner.

Everyone should try a Korean restaurant dinner. Holy crow, it's all delicious and healthy and bountiful and... omg.

I'm especially fond of the little side dish appetizers they serve at the beginning before your meal arrives.  

Posted 

my mouth is watering now lolz

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Ari wrote:

Everyone should try a Korean restaurant dinner. Holy crow, it's all delicious and healthy and bountiful and... omg.

I'm especially fond of the little side dish appetizers they serve at the beginning before your meal arrives. :heart_eyes:

Everything is great, I have a weakness for their dumplings, Kalbi, Bulgogi, heck even the simple rice alone tastes great. Lol

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

imran.khalil0000 wrote:

my mouth is watering now lolz

Mine too, please tell us when you go.

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Remember, everyone! Kimchi Day is on November 22nd. Mark your calendars.  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Oh god, I just added kimchi to my bucket list. I know there is a Korean restaurant in my city, I'll try to go.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Oh god, I just added kimchi to my bucket list. I know there is a Korean restaurant in my city, I'll try to go.

Go!!!!! If you are not that adventurous start with the meat bulgogi or kalbi. They usually come with little side dishes that might include kimchi. :grinning:

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Ari wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Go!!!!! If you are not that adventurous start with the meat bulgogi or kalbi. They usually come with little side dishes that might include kimchi. :grinning:

Do they have vegan dishes? I might go with a vegan friend

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

I recommend asking the specific restaurant before you go. There don't seem to be many vegans in Korea, so although there are many plant-based dishes and side dishes, who knows if they meet vegan standards.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

leosmith wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

I recommend asking the specific restaurant before you go. There don't seem to be many vegans in Korea, so although there are many plant-based dishes and side dishes, who knows if they meet vegan standards.

Thank you, I will! 

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Ari wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

They have a lot of vegetarian dishes. Lots of tofu and vegetables. I am pretty sure they are vegan friendly.

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

leosmith wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Vegetarian standards, please illustrate me. Like no cross contamination?

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Ari wrote:
Vegetarian standards, please illustrate me. Like no cross contamination?

Ok. First google the difference between vegetarian, plant-based and vegan. Then google the term "vegan standards", and you should be good to go.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

I love it. For Pinoy, it's pantanggal umay.  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

I eat kimchi with pork barbecue. I like how they taste together.

Edited 
Native
Tagalog

Frederick.Dizon wrote:
I eat kimchi with pork barbecue. I like how they taste together.

Yeah those go well together. At least, I think it's better than atchara.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I eat kimchi for its *ahem* cleaning properties haha. My buddies on the other hand love it and eat it on almost every meal they eat.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Mel.Palogan wrote:
I eat kimchi for its *ahem* cleaning properties haha. My buddies on the other hand love it and eat it on almost every meal they eat.

Yeah, kimchi is always great for a good cleanse. :D Also, it's got phenomenal anti-oxidant properties! I bet your kimchi-eating friends all have great skin.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Mel.Palogan wrote:

Yeah, kimchi is always great for a good cleanse. :D Also, it's got phenomenal anti-oxidant properties! I bet your kimchi-eating friends all have great skin.

Yeah man, I heard good things about kimchi's benefit for the skin and overall gut health. Great stuff :)

Posted 
    Feedback