When are you a language-learning junkie?

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

When do you consider yourself a language-learning nerd? Do you have your MP3 player filled with podcasts in foreign languages instead of music? Or more apps on the phone for language learning than social media apps let's say? :)) Have you made a specially decorated case for your dictionaries, textbooks, grammar books that you consult very often? Do you read the manuals of your new products in all the languages available? I do! :)) Do you try to decipher them and spend hours noting down words and looking for pronunciation? Guilty! :))) 

I also switch languages when I am taking notes or writing down translations 

What is a sign to you of becoming a total language learning nerd? Do you catch yourself spending a lot of time focusing on language learning and grasping new languages? How much time do we spend on this forum for example? :))) 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I was reading the exhibition display at the Kigali Genocide Memorial in French, but was holding up the line a bit (and getting annoyed looks), so I decided to switch back to English. 

I used to write most of my daily to-do list in whatever language I was learning at that time. 

Recently, I have been thinking about word-of-the-day toilet paper in foreign languages.  

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I remember my phone was filled with Pimsleur and Minna no Nihongo lessons lol. I used it everyday going to and from the office. 

Posted 
Native
Macedonian

Thank you for your answers! 

Toilet paper is a useful word @meifeng! May be of use knowing it in lots of language :)) so, what did you find out? How is it called in the languages you're learning? 

Yeah I guess we're definitely language learning junkies! :))) or sometimes just a small obsession at the beginning :):):) 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Mai wrote:
Thank you for your answers!
Toilet paper is a useful word @meifeng! May be of use knowing it in lots of language :)) so, what did you find out? How is it called in the languages you're learning?
Yeah I guess we're definitely language learning junkies! :))) or sometimes just a small obsession at the beginning :):):)

@Mai, I am thinking of this, but instead of Sudoku puzzles, they will print a new word in a foreign language so you can learn a new word while sitting in the bathroom. Efficiency!

https://www.amazon.com/Fairly-Odd-Novelties-Sudoku-Novelty/dp/B00FQIKZ4C/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_201_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3GD7302J624ZRQRT0Q6J

Posted 
Native
Macedonian

Oh! Omg :))) 

Ok, seems effective :))) 

:wave:

Posted 
    Feedback