Roshane.Brooks's recent posts

Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationKingston / JM
Native
English
Other Spanish

edz.conde wrote:
wrote:
LOL, weird question. Do you know Bretman Rock? He's Filipino but he lives in Hawaii, I don't get it.

LOL, That's really a weird one.
Do you mean to say that you don't get it why he is Filipino but he's residing in Hawaii? Maybe he has a very personal reason? Or maybe he has the same reason with the many Chinese and American people living here in our country despite not being a Filipino?
Actually I just know him a while ago after searching the net. He is indeed a Filipino and resides in Hawaii since 7 years old. The reason of his staying there is not given, but is he so important that we should know the reason why? heheh

HAHA, I'm sorry I don't mean he's so important but it was just a thought. I actually didn't know he was Filipino until yesterday.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

[quote name="edz.conde"]
That's cool. So do different places in the Philippines have a different dialect?
[/quote]

Yupz!... We have more than 100 that is why when you go to different places here, you will hear them talk in their dialect, though our universal language is Filipino (Tagalog). :)
[/quote] LOL, weird question. Do you know Bretman Rock? He's Filipino but he lives in Hawaii, I don't get it. 

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Same

Edited
Native
English
Other Spanish

Elso.Martinez wrote:
Bisexuals sometimes feel that way because in many cultures people don't believe in bisexuality, some straight people believe bisexual people are just closeted gays who are trying to "look better" for society, and many gay people think bisexual people are just confused or not brave enough to be openly gay or there might be jelousy or resentment concerning "straight priviledges" that bi people are perceived to have, when in reality some people just do happen to be bisexual and that's a valid sexual orientation in and of itself. Another thing is that some bisexual people think the community doesn't talk as much about the b than the g or l. There might be other things but those are the ideas i've come in contact with, I don't necessarily agree with these views and i'm not bisexual myself but I do fall under the lgbt umbrella.
Edit: there's also the idea that some people think bisexualityI is just promiscuity, or that they can't be faithful or commit or any other stereotype concerning the orientation.

I do agree with you on some of your sentiments but some aren't entirely true and can be challenged. The majority of bisexual people especially the men (phew, chile) they don't want to be apart of the community or be identified as bisexual, they don't even want to ever disclose. Meanwhile a bisexual woman will disclose it to her partners you'll almost never find a bisexual man doing the same. I so do agree that bisexuality is a valid sexual orientation when the person isn't doing it privileges or to steer away judgement. 

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Jeralen.Borja wrote:
Mostly here in the Philippines.
I think bisexuals whether male or female tend to be very critical of people who are gay. I also think that the insult you speak of is self inflicted. 

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

This is just a suggestion.

I think having a key or a description for the schedule could be really useful. 

For example, where is greyed out means that it's not available or the teacher is booked for that time. 

White means whatever 

Blue means its available. 

It's just a suggestion that I think could be useful.

Edited
Native
English
Other Spanish

Khadijah.Davis wrote:
I live in the United States. The native language is English. In schools we have a wide variety of languages to choose from - Spanish, French, American Sign Language, German, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Arabic, Korean, Russian etc...
Wish I had that many options back in high school. What languages did you study?

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Greg.Jones wrote:
I'm from the UK, most schools will teach French as a minimum for 5 years, my school also did German for any of the advanced French classes, and Latin for advanced English language classes.
Other schools in my area offered Spanish, Russian, and Mandarin, but usually students had to specifically request them as a subject.
LOL, well I didn't have a choice of the language. Besides, the only foreign languages that were being taught in high school were French and Spanish but they were just like "Hey, you're advanced and as such you'll be doing two foreign languages. Have fun!"

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

edz.conde wrote:
Hi! I came from the Philippines. Our native language is Filipino (referred by others as Tagalog but the correct one is actually Filipino). We have a hundred more dialects in our country, but I speak the Bicol dialect from my hometown. The English language is introduced to us as early as toddlers that's why there are many Filipinos who are very fluent (diction and pronunciation) in English. Other Asian countries preferred hiring Filipinos as their tutors in English because they could be easily understood.
That's cool. So do different places in the Philippines have a different dialect?

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

What country do you live in and what languages are spoken there and/or taught in school?

I live in Jamaica. Our native language is English; creole/patois is considered our dialect. In many schools, as early as Kindergarten kids are taught Spanish up until High School. I began learning Spanish in High School and had to do it for 4 years because I was "advanced". I also had to study French for two years in high school for the same reason.

How about you?

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

leosmith wrote:
We think that you can edit and delete your own posts and topics, if they are less than a day old and nobody has responded to them. Is there anyone who can't do this?

I can't or I just don't know how to.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

leosmith wrote:
Roshane.Brooks wrote:
I have on two occasions got an error message while trying to preview a forum post after completing.

We haven't been able to duplicate this. What error message are you getting? What OS and device are you using?
Roshane.Brooks wrote:
When you try to backspace it only takes you back to the previous page and not to your post leaving you to start over. Luckily, this time I had typed the information into MS Office and copied it into Language Tools as I went along.

It sounds like you expect backspace to close preview, rather than go to the previous page. Instead of trying to make it do that, we're working on a warning if you try leave the form without replying (same sort of warning you get when filling out your profile).

I think it's fixed. Initially when I tried it just went to a blank white screen and nothing would happen and if I went back it would take me to a new form or when I refreshed it would be on the same white screen.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

leosmith wrote:
checking preview. it works fine for me. what OS and device are you using?

I'm using a MacBook Pro, OS High Sierra.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Aileen.Cortes wrote:
Roshane.Brooks wrote:
I used to work in a call center too.

Hello!

Hi

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

leosmith wrote:
Roshane.Brooks wrote:
it would be much easier if you were able to just click on the link and the page opening in a new tab without doing to whole copy and paste.

This is in work; should be fixed in a day or two.

Great!

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
Its related to the amount of posts I believe everyone starts as a hobbit and progresses to dwarf not sure what's next !

I think Elf comes next

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
Also you can add your own tags

I'm trying to figure out how to do this one on my own lol

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

While responding to a comment on a post just now I realized I don't have the ability to delete the reply or there's nothing to prompt you when you're making duplicate responses. I was clicking reply to topic and the comments were being submitted but the text box and text wouldn't disappear until I click on the button in blue. If the other two don't work, what are they for? I just want to know.

Edited
Native
English
Other Spanish

leosmith wrote:
Roshane.Brooks wrote:
Lately I made an observation that a lot of people are opting to learn easier languages such as Spanish as a second language.

If you're comparing Spanish to Chinese, I think it's fair to say Spanish is much easier for a native English speaker to learn. But Spanish and French? They are approximately the same difficulty level. Please check out this chart from FSI.

It's said that French is easier to learn in terms of remembering the vocabulary because it and English have a lot in common then once you've learned French it's easier to learn Spanish. I do agree that Spanish isn't a hard language to learn.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

ikaymoreno wrote:
Roshane.Brooks wrote:

That's interesting. I wonder what causes it to change.

Points/XP earned through activity, I think. Forum posts, essay submissions, corrections, etc.

Makes sense.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

ikaymoreno wrote:
No problem. :) Is multilingual support big bucks in your country too?

Yeah, it is but there isn't a high demand for multi-lingual people.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

ikaymoreno wrote:
Roshane.Brooks wrote:
Hey, totally off topic but I've obsevered that there are little tags below our usernames like "Hobbit" or Dwarf" etc..
Am I the only one that's curious about what these tags mean?

I think Leo is a Tolkien fan. :) Because it goes from Hobbit, to Dwarf, to Elf. I wonder if Orc is next. Or Human?

That's interesting. I wonder what causes it to change.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

ikaymoreno wrote:
Roshane.Brooks wrote:
I’m a little confused the first prices u listed are pesos or USD?

The original post was in PHP. I added a comment though where I converted it to USD.

Spanish agents go from $650 to $1500 per month. French agents go from $850 to $2300 per month. English-only agents go from $230 to "$500. Lol.

Got it now! 

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Greg.Jones wrote:
Heh, I haven't used it in years, I could tell you how to ask basic questions, the weather, and stuff like that, but I would probably point at Aaron https://languagetools.io/profile/131 if you wanted to learn more useful things

Thanks, appreciate it!

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Greg.Jones wrote:
On phone the preview just appears below the reply, so swiping up gets you back in place.
Haven't checked on a computer yet

It was on a computer, it just gives you an error page and there's no way to go back to what you had drafted.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Hey, totally off topic but I've obsevered that there are little tags below our usernames like "Hobbit" or Dwarf" etc.. 

Am I the only one that's curious about what these tags mean?

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Haha it only pays if the tracks get released so not a stable job...but ah fi mi passion.(?)

Haha! Yea you.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

I’m embarking on the journey because I want to travel to at least 10 non English speaking countries by 25 and also for the job opportunities that it makes you qualified for. 

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

I used to live in st.Croix in the virgin islands so I have listened to a lot of patois . I also write for a record label which features predominately Jamaican and Trinidadian artists but I have not seen it written down very much.

I just got back from Trinidad actually and I’m a huge soca fan. I’d so love a job like yours.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

I’m a little confused the first prices u listed are pesos or USD?

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

It's good that you are still young and you want to learn different languages and travel to numerous countries. I hope you'll reach your dreams. In case you want to visit our country and you like to learn our language, feel free to ask us. There are many Filipinos here in the site and we are known for being accomodating and friendly. :) 

It good seh yuh young and yuh wah learn different language and travel go nuff country. Mi hope yuh reach yuh dreams. In case yuh wah visit we country and yuh woulda like fi learn we language, feel free fi ask we. Nuff a we Fillipinos deh pon the site and we known fi be accomodating and frenly!

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

It's good that you are still young and you want to learn different languages and travel to numerous countries. I hope you'll reach your dreams. In case you want to visit our country and you like to learn our language, feel free to ask us. There are many Filipinos here in the site and we are known for being accomodating and friendly. :) 

It good seh yuh young and yuh wah learn different language and travel go nuff country. Mi hope yuh reach yuh dreams. In case yuh wah visit we country and yuh woulda like fi learn we language, feel free fi ask we. Nuff a we Fillipinos deh pon the site and we known fi be accomodating and frenly!

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

That's amazing leosmith! I live in Kingston too. What for if you don't mind me asking?

That folklore, how could I not? lol grew up on it in prep school and high school.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

It's a good idea, it comes with a lot of opportunities for example what @ikaymoreno said.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Wow, I find that really amazing for someone in a call center to be making that much. A lot of international and European organizations are French speaking too - it really is like a language of the elite or whatever.  

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Yeah, it would be but I've tried using the hyperlink button in the action tab and it doesn't work.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

I used to work in a call center too.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

I think I'd love to learn German, maybe you can help me a little with that.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

I'd love to visit one day, I have a cousin who resides in Vancouver.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Hello. My name is Roshane but I prefer to be called Rosean. I reside in Jamaica, which is apart of the English speaking Caribbean. In Jamaica our dialect is "Patois" which according to Google is "the dialect of a particular region, especially one with low status in relation to the standard language of the country." A great majority of our population speak some patois or one who try to like myself but really suck at it. Haha! I'm 19 years old and I just completed my first year in university. I'd like to learn at least 3 languages by the age of 25 and have travelled to at least 10 countries.

Here's something that you'll find pretty interesting. Post something below that you'd like me to translate to patois or like many people say though it isn't accurate, "talk Jamaican". This should be pretty fun and I can't wait to see what you guys have to ask.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

When you post links to a website in your posts, they don't appear as a hyper link and I don't think what appears to be a hyperlink feature in the action bar works. I've tried clicking on it to use my sources but it doesn't work. Members have to copy and paste on links, it would be much easier if you were able to just click on the link and the page opening in a new tab without doing to whole copy and paste. 

Regards, 

Roshane Brooks

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

I'm trying to learn Russian. The keyboard layout and alphabet.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

I have on two occasions got an error message while trying to preview a forum post after completing. When you try to backspace it only takes you back to the previous page and not to your post leaving you to start over. Luckily, this time I had typed the information into MS Office and copied it into Language Tools as I went along.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Lately I made an observation that a lot of people are opting to learn easier languages such as Spanish as a second language. So, here are a few reasons why I think you should pick another when taking up a new language. 

In the United States, you hear a lot of Spanish everywhere and that you should learn Spanish.

1. Offer and Demand: You want more chances to get a job? There are plenty of Spanish speakers around you, especially if you live in the USA or in a country where Spanish is your second language or perhaps it was mandatory in school. You might see lots of job offers for Spanish Speakers but they’re more like to choose a native Spanish speaker over you. Meanwhile, when you see a job offer requesting, for example: French or Chinese speaking individuals you’re less likely to have a fight or any competition especially if you’re fluent in the language. 

2. If you speak English, learning French should be easy. Why? It’s often said that French is one of the harder languages to learn when compared to languages like Spanish but I beg to differ. Why? English owes a great deal of its vocabulary to the French language, making the French vocabulary much easier to learn. Memorizing lists of vocabulary will thus be reduced while learning French, then the grammar and lexical similarities between “les languages latines” (latin languages) will make it easier for you to take on Spanish some time later if you haven’t already.

3. Similarities: If you really want to learn Spanish, here’s why I think you should learn French first. English is closer to French (for native English speakers) and French is closer to Spanish. At the end of it, you won’t just have a second language but you’ll be fluent in two languages apart from your native language – now that’s a win-win!

4. French is the language of International Relations: If you’re into Relations Internationales (International Relations), learning French is a pretty great idea because French is both a working and an official language of the United Nations, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO, Francophonie, the International Olympic Committee, Red Cross and international courts. Proficiency in French is essential for anyone considering a career in any of these international organizations.

5. Travel Options: If you’re someone who likes traveling overseas then learning French is a good idea. You can use the language as your passport – French opens up your travel options like crazy. Of course, you can still travel to a country or countries where you don’t speak the language or don’t speak it well, but being able to communicate and understand will definitely enhance your experience, trust me. You’ll be able to get around not only in Paris and the rest of France, but other lovely destinations like French Polynesia, Quebec or Switzerland.

6. Love: Did you know that French is the language most often used to translate romantic expressions, ahead of other European languages? This was discovered in a survey by Google Translate. If you’re a romantic, you’re romanticizing someone or looking to be romanticized by someone you sure know that French is considered as “langage de l’amour” (language of love).

Feel free to share your own personal opinions on why it’s better to learn French over Spanish or why you should learn French first if you want to learn Spanish.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

This is pretty cool!

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish
  1. It Opens Up a New Way of Seeing The World

Different cultures see them world in slightly different ways and language can reflect this with unique terminology, grammar, and sentence structure. peaking and thinking in a language that follows a different logic than your mother tongue, can significantly broaden your horizon.

2. It Boosts Your Overall Academic Experience

Because multilingual brains have to work differently, they develop stronger cognitive skill. People who speak more than one language are shown to have higher scores on standardized exams in math, reading comprehension, and vocabulary compared to the scores of monolingual students.

3. Make travel easier and more enjoyable.

If you are or aspire to be a globetrotter, learning languages is a must! Traveling is way more fun and easier when there isn’t a language barrier. You don’t have to worry about getting around because you don’t speak the language.

Posted
Native
English
Other Spanish

Here are a few tips that have proven to be useful when learning a new language..

1. Right Approach

When learning any new language, it’s great to approach it with a positive attitude. It’s good to be excited and motivated about learning this new language because your thoughts and energy will influence how much effort you put into learning and retaining. 

2. One step at a time

Like learning anything else in life, you take it step by step or “chunks” at a time the same applies to a foreign language. Don't try to consume a bunch of areas/topics at the same time or else you'll get confused easily and it won't stick. So take it a step at a time. Start with simple areas like; greetings, introductions or basic phrases ("Please", "Thank you!", "Excuse me" etc.).

3. Conversation

Great way to make progress when learning a new language is have conversations in that new language. So whether you’re engaging your friends in conversations in the new language, listening to audio conversations and trying to translate as it goes by or just to learn the use of a word in the right context and pronunciation is a great way to make progress!

4. Balance

You don’t want to make learning a new language the center of your life or your biggest priority. Though, it might sound contradictory it’s good to take occasional breaks to reset and go back at it with a refreshed attitude. It also tests you to see how well you retain what you’re learning.

5. Reading

Just as you had to read up to improve on your vocabulary and knowledge with your native language, the same applies to a foreign language. 

6. Learning Approach

Avoid making the mistake of sticking to one learning method. We all learn differently and a technique or learning method that works for someone else won’t always work for you. Trying new approaches or learning techniques to see which works best for you is always great and makes it better for you.

7. Cover the Pillars that make up a Language.

Imagine language learning just like a puzzle which needs to be put together in order to have a full picture.

The main skills that make up any language are:

 Reading skills

 Writing skills

 Listening skills

 Oral skills

It’s better to work on these skills simultaneously (even if it’s not always possible) in order to avoid any imbalance in the language. 

It is okay to focus on one skill more than the others, if you’re having trouble with a certain aspect of a language.  

8. Culture and Language Variations.

Always remember that in the same way your native language is influenced by culture a foreign language is also influenced by the culture or has variations. 

Obviously, this list of tips for learning a new language isn’t exhaustive. There are other tips that could be added to this list, but these are just a few I wanted to share with you.

~r.i.brooks

Posted
Feedback