gman3212's recent posts

Posts0Likes0Joined9/2/2021LocationNew York / US
Native
English
Learning Hebrew, Korean, Spanish, Yiddish

I see I hadn't known they existed, I will look into it. Thanks!

Posted

amator linguae

Native
English

Hi. So I know it is probably fairly unlikely it will happen. But is there any plan for OPlingo to support PDFs, EPUB, KPF formats. I think it would be quite useful especially once you get to more intermediate and advanced levels if you could upload entire books(of course for personal, not community use b/c of copyright). Because otherwise, you have to do it by copying passage by passage/page by page. This is annoying but wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that kindle at least, has copy limits often set by publishers to prevent lifting the book wholesale. But it means copying chapters into OPlingo to read with the reading tool cannot as eventually you'll hit a limit. 

In a sense that's a good thing because it means you can use OPlingo as an assistant to getting used to the literary style of the book before being forced to read without the aid of the reading tool. But y'know, just wanted to know if there's any support for this idea or if it would even be possible. 

Posted

amator linguae

Native
English

Yes thank you, it is fixed :)

Posted

amator linguae

Native
English

All right, thank you very much!

Posted

amator linguae

Native
English

So for the reading tool, I think I really only have two fairly minor problems with it(overall I love it, so much better imo than Readlang and LingQ).

1. When I try to add a new definition to a word, it feels a bit unresponsive. If I type in the definition and press enter, it saves the entry. However, I have to exit the dictionary and re-click on the word if I'm interested in adding another definition. I would like to be able to add multiple definitions consecutively. In addition, when I add an entry, there is no sort of response showing it's been saved. Because it's happened a few times where I thought I pressed enter and I didn't, and I had to re-add the definition again. 

2. Another feature are phrase definitions. For example, because I'm learning Spanish right now. 

There are some set phrases like any language that are "reduced" when translated to English. For example "lo que" simply means what in English, and  "a mí me" roughly means I. When I highlight a phrase like that and try to add a definition, it won't add it, it won't show up if I exit out of the dictionary and highlight the phrase again. So I'm not sure if that's a bug or something. And that sort of ties back into the responsiveness issue I was talking about. And as part of that, for longer "set phrases", such as "lo que me de la gana" which means whatever I want, reading tool will not really identify that as a set phrase while I'm reading. For shorter phrases like lo que and a mi me, they will be underlined green, but a longer phrase like that won't even be identified as such. And I think it would be quite useful that I can actively choose to make those sorts of phrases underlined so I more easily notice and acquire them through future reading. 

3. And this is just an idea that popped into my head. But possibly another color like yellow or purple or something showing equivalent meanings could be very useful. For example, and admittedly this is not a grammatical structure I've completely acquired yet. But it is my understanding that te tener, tenete, and tengte have equivalent meanings more or less. So being able to highlight those connections in my learning not only for spanish but future language learning could be very useful I feel. 

Thanks for your consideration :)

Edited

amator linguae

Feedback