https://www.nguoi-viet.com/ThuVienNguoiViet/thuvien-NV.php

Some of these are from the 1930s!

Posted

- bbyj

Posts32Likes18Joined8/6/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Dutch, Russian, Vietnamese

When I do this on larger passages, sometimes I am just given the loading symbol and it never loads. Then, if I leave the page and return, my whole passage disappears. However, when I go to edit it, it is all there again. Then, when I save, it doesn't save which words I have linked together. Do you have a workaround for this? 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Vizard AI is a tool similar to Happy Scribe, but it is free and I find that the AI/automatic transcription is superior quality. I have had a very tough time finding something that is accurate in transcribing Vietnamese, but this option has produced the best results so far. Vizard AI produced better results compared to the automated transcriptions and captions available from YouTube. I'd recommend this option to anyone.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Vietnamese resource I found - graded reading in Vietnamese:

https://vietjack.com/vbt-tieng-viet-1-kn/index.jsp

I sooooo wish I had found this earlier....

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello everyone

I am a native English speaker and I thought this website called National Geographic for Kids may be useful to you. It is meant for children, but I am finding it interesting as an adult, especially the "Countries" page. Even as an adult, I am able to learn from this website in an interesting way. The videos are too childish, but anyone can enjoy the written content. I think that if you're learning English, this may be useful to you, too. 

Many American children had National Geographic magazines sent to their homes. 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

there is an option to export cards in a format that is easy for uploading to anki

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
bbyj wrote:
Any news yet? I am loving this website and excited to be able to use it on Android this way.
My bad - the meeting was actually today (Saturday), and we just talked. They said it's probably a couple of weeks out. There have been a lot of changes made to flutter, so implementing this is more complicated than originally thought.

any update?

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Eden.Hilliard wrote:
The rule of thumb I use is that vocabulary size roughly doubles between levels. So 500 at A1, 1000 at A2, 2000 at B1, and 4000 at B2 (and 8000/16000 for the C levels). Dunno how accurate this is but it feels broadly correct to me.

old thread but i am approaching 4000 (not all of them are through this website) and I can't help but feel it will take closer to 6k-8k for B2 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Chris.C wrote:
Maybe I missed it as I'm relatively new to the platform but is there an ability to have the text that you are reading also TTS or talk outloud to you as so you can follow along with the words? I know if I click individually I can hear the word, but I wanted to know if it was possible to have the entire paragraph read at once?

I mean you can always select the whole paragraph? At least for now until it gets added as an option?

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
I'm not sure. Ticket written.

Just so you know, I saw the same thing with other languages too. (Namely Dutch). Thank you.

Edited

- bbyj

Native
English

Why is there a discrepancy between my known words in Statistics and in Vocabulary? 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:

bbyj wrote:
Vietnamese - ~B1, on and off for 3 years, with month-long breaks.
Impressive! Do you have a family member who speaks it?

A family member speaks it but is now mostly nonverbal due to dementia. I never learned or practiced with her except "Hello" and "I love you". She never spoke it to me aside from that. It's not a heritage language for me, but much of my family that I never knew is from there. 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

If I can do it, anyone can. undefined

I can't consider myself having learned a language well yet, but I will get there with time.

I'm monolingual. Family speaks different languages, but I have no "heritage language" (my parents are monolingual)

Languages I want to learn

• Vietnamese
  • Dutch
  • Mandarin
  • Japanese
  • Spanish
  • Russian

Current Status

• Vietnamese - ~B1, on and off for 3 years, with month-long breaks.
  • Dutch - A2, on and off for 1 year.
  • Mandarin - A1, just started last month
  • Japanese - A1/N5, was at N4 level but stopped after many years. Just picked it up again
  • Spanish - None, studied in school but I don't remember any
  • Russian - None, except I can read some of the letters

Goals

• Vietnamese - B2
  • Dutch - B2
  • Mandarin - B1
  • Japanese - N4 or N3 or so
  • Spanish - A1 or A2
  • Russian - A1 or A2
Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
bbyj wrote:
Any news yet? I am loving this website and excited to be able to use it on Android this way.
My bad - the meeting was actually today (Saturday), and we just talked. They said it's probably a couple of weeks out. There have been a lot of changes made to flutter, so implementing this is more complicated than originally thought.

That's okay I will be waiting patiently Thanks

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

rockz.(None) wrote:
I have failed myself today, I did not get through my plans at all.

Edited

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
We have a meeting on Friday - I'll ask him then.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

I'm not learning Tagalog but this looks like an excellent resource, you should share it on r/languagelearning 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
We have a meeting on Friday - I'll ask him then.

amazing thanks :)

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
leosmith wrote:
bbyj wrote:
any update

No, but there is a meeting Saturday - I will try to find out the status.

He said "by next month".

Any update?

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
leosmith wrote:
bbyj wrote:
any update

No, but there is a meeting Saturday - I will try to find out the status.

He said "by next month".
awesome thanks

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:

bbyj wrote:

Hello

The linking issue with Vietnamese was totally fixed in the last thread and it's awesome now. Though, I noticed this functionality is not present in the app on Android. Can this be added?

Thanks!

Hi b - just to clarify, join/split are not available on the app, so we are looking into adding them. That's what you are requesting here, right?

any update

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

I've had a lot of fun using ChatGPT with Vietnamese and find it does pretty well, but it messes up a lot of colloquialisms and idioms. I just use it by typing in Vietnamese about my day, something I'm interested in, etc. 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello can you please add Glosbe for Dutch? Thank you!!

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
bbyj wrote:
Hello
The linking issue with Vietnamese was totally fixed in the last thread and it's awesome now. Though, I noticed this functionality is not present in the app on Android. Can this be added?
Thanks!

Hi b - just to clarify, join/split are not available on the app, so we are looking into adding them. That's what you are requesting here, right?

Yes, correct.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello

Thanks!

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
bbyj wrote:
Thank you so much I look forward to seeing the result.

I think we fixed this - can you please confirm?

Wow, this is amazing. Thank you so much. It's perfect!! Now, I just have to go back and redo the "phrases" as words... 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:

bbyj wrote:
Is it possible to "link" words without removing the space between them?

I didn't realize this was an issue for Vietnamese. I will write a ticket to see if it can be fixed.

Thank you so much I look forward to seeing the result.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Good evening LanguageCrush,

I have a suggestion or question that is applicable to my TL of Vietnamese but may also be applicable to other languages as well. In Japanese and in Chinese, to my knowledge, several words may be made up by more than one character. For example, in Japanese, 綺麗 means "beautiful", whereas the two separate characters 綺 & 麗 are not interpreted individually to mean "beautiful". They instead have different meanings or have no meanings. 

This idea is represented also in Vietnamese. Please take the following examples:

• quần áo = clothing
    • quần = pants
    • áo = shirt
  • kế hoạch = plan
    • kế = by, doesn't really have a meaning on its own that I know of
    • hoạch = no meaning alone that I know of
  • tráng miệng = dessert
    • tráng = coat
    • miệng = mouth
  • bối rối = baffled, embarrassed, troubled, confused
    • bối = no meaning that I know of
    • rối = puppet

Hopefully this illustrates the common idea in Vietnamese language in which the two words really make up just one word. However, when I try to join them into one word to be categorized as a word in LanguageCrush, it removes the space between the words, thus saving it as quầnáo, kếhoạch, trángmiệng, and bốirối. These are not necessarily "phrases" and it is incorrect to write them like this in Vietnamese. 

Is it possible to "link" words without removing the space between them? 

Thank you.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello everyone,

I have an email from Anna with Easy Languages saying that we have permission to use their videos on the website. "You’re welcome to embed our YouTube videos on your website or include a link to one of our channels in your course or curriculum free of charge

However, if you’d like to download and re-upload one of our videos to another platform, you’ll need to purchase a license from us. Our prices for 5-year commercial licenses start at 600€."

We will just embed, so it looks like we can use their things. Please let me know if you want a copy of the email. Here's a few examples of their videos:

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello,

Has LanguageCrush considered partnering with Youtubers to offer, say, a month of subscription in exchange for a review on Youtube? It was an off chance that I even found out about LanguageCrush and think that a lot of people would love to learn on here if they had ever heard of it. Just curious what marketing LanguageCrush does or if that's even a goal for the tool.

Thanks

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello leosmith,

I really appreciate such a quick and helpful response. That is how I am getting the issue with terms. I am on the app on Android 11. I'm glad to hear that you are working hard on the other issue. Will there be a dark mode added to the app? I love using it so far

leosmith wrote:

bbyj wrote:
noticed two bugs in Android app. 1.) When you tap "Terms and conditions", it doesn't open anything. 2.) Importing YouTube videos does not bring over the subtitles. Passage is empty

Thanks for you input, and sorry about those issues. Regarding 1) - how did you access that? I select the little down arrow at the bottom of the screen beneath Language Tools, then select terms and conditions at the bottom of the menu, and it displays properly. If this is what you are doing, can you tell me your android version/browser? 2) We are already working a ticket on this; hopefully it will be done in the next week or two.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

noticed two bugs in Android app. 1.) When you tap "Terms and conditions", it doesn't open anything. 2.) Importing YouTube videos does not bring over the subtitles. Passage is empty

Aside from that everything is great I love it and will update my review

Posted

- bbyj

Feedback