dclutch1's recent posts

Posts16Likes9Joined18/10/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Swahili
Other Chinese - Mandarin, Hindi, Russian, Spanish, Thai

Can you add https://swahili-dictionary.com/swahili-english to the list of dictionaries available?

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

Alright, thanks for the reply anyways!

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili
Native
English
Learning Swahili

I almost deliberately chose different languages, because I felt I would get the languages mixed up. For instance, although I can understand about 70% of portugues when they speak, when I tried to learn it, it just seemed to close to spanish. So I just went with something different, therefore, in my mind learning them all simutaneously, i wont get them mixed up. 

I guess its all about the way we approach the language. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

leosmith wrote:
DG.Gardner wrote:
an extra filter to only display those options.
Hi DG - this has been added.

WOW! 

This made this site/app that much better! 

Thank you!

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

leosmith wrote:
DG.Gardner wrote:
Im not sure about that, but I think you have the #1 spot secured with number of languages under your belt for sure!
There are actually a few here with more languages, but they are less active. I just realized we have 6 languages in common! Other than English, which is your best?

I would say my Spanish comes in second, and it is the language that made me aware learning others was possible. Maybe one day I can reach polyglot status such as yourself!  

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

leosmith wrote:
Wow - that's impressive! You're actually #1 on the weekly. I have been here the longest, but I've never been #1 on any of the boards.

Im not sure about that, but I think you have the #1 spot secured with number of languages under your belt for sure!

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

What a feeling it is, to know, that I know enough words to make it.  

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

leosmith wrote:
Today I reached two important milestones. First, I finished passage 100 of Mandarin Conversations, officially ending this spurt. Some quick stats – 100 passages in 137 (active) days; 4017 vocabulary items; about 500 hours (including Anki reviews) total study time. My goal was to drop my Mandarin unknowns from 35% down to below 10%. I did not reach that goal. If I look at my stats, they average out in the high teens, but that’s because I haven’t gone back to change all the words I didn’t know at the beginning to “known” now. I’m guessing my true unknown level is about 15%. I’m really happy with this, and it means that I read Mandarin about as well as I read Swahili/Russian/Thai/Korean. I have mixed feelings about stopping the spurt. I figure I could reach my goal and really hit it out of the ball park in another 200 to 300 hours. And there is the fear of losing my level too. I think I’m going to take a few days off, then keep reading new passages twice a week for a while to see how that goes. I’ll keep doing all the anki reviews for the time being, but will eventually delete all cards over one month old at some point. The ultimate goal is to be able to read, consistently and comfortable, only as often as I maintain the language, meaning once every 10 or so days. But the interim plan above should safeguard my level, and give me the time I need to do the stuff required for the milestone below.
The second milestone I reached is even bigger, since it marks the beginning of the end of a 3 year project. As of today, we have finally finished going back and forth, checking and perfecting Tagalog Lite. The ball is now back in my court, and I can work on it full time. I need to update all the tables, rewrite the intro, hire a voice actress, and post the book online. I also plan on creating downloadable anki decks, so I have a busy month or so ahead of me!

Congrats on all your efforts!

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

leosmith wrote:
DG.Gardner wrote:
I’m not sure if it’s possible , but it would be cool if there was a way to have a filter to find the readings in the library that have video/audio connected with the reading instead of searching through them all .
There are icons that show this already. Or do you mean have a "more filters" button that allows you to only display passages with video/audio?

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive any notification for this message. But yes, that what i meant, like if there was an extra filter to only display those options. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

leosmith wrote:
That's a good question. The definitions you have are correct. But you will often hear them used interchangeably in native speech. It can vary by region and by speaker. And there are lots of other verbs that this happens to in Swahili. For example, kufika = to arrive, but can be used in place of kwenda = to go. Have you ever been to Tanzania = Umeshafika/kwenda Tanzania?
I would advise just using the verbs the way you think they should be used, and adjusting if the natives around you consistently use them differently. Even if you don't make adjustments, you will be understood, and you will be able to understand them, so hamna shida bwana.

Thanks for the response!

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

Im having a difficult time trying to figure out the difference between Kufahamu and Kuelewa. I tought Kuelewa meant to understand but from the translations, its saying that Kufahamu means to know, and to understand. But i thought Kujua meant to know

Any clarification would be appreciated. 

This is the passage I'm referring to:

Daniel : Asante sana . Labda kabla sijaondoka hapa nyumbani nilikuwa nataka ufahamu kwamba tutaondoka na usafiri wa umma kwasababu hii itakuwa ni rahisi kwetu lakini vilevile nauli itakuwa ni bei rahisi .

Dayana : Sawa . Nitafanya hivyo .

Daniel : Sawa sawa . Basi jambo la msingi hakikisha kwamba siku ya Jumatatu umejiandaa vizuri ili saa moja kamili ikifika asubuhi tuanze safari .

Dayana : Asante sana Daniel , nimekuelewa

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

leosmith wrote:

wrote:

1 - The edit box for Yiddish (no doubt also other RTL) is still LTR. The reading page is ok but the edit box is not. RTL + right-justified is needed for passage name/passage text/course name from what I can figure out.

3 - On the 'create a passage' /edit page: remove the space above 'Create a Passage' and increase the size of the 'Passage Text' box by a few lines

5 - On the 'course details' page: align the word stats better so they don't jump around from line to line (perhaps make it 2 lines by default:

Unknown Words (###%) Learning (###%)

Known Words (###%) Total Words (###%)

alternatively, shorten it:

Words: Unknown (###%) : Learning (###%) : Known (###%) : Total (###%)

1, 3 and 5 are done

I’m not sure if it’s possible , but it would be cool if there was a way to have a filter to find the readings in the library that have video/audio connected with the reading instead of searching through them all . 

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

Hey everyone, over the course of a year I have been documenting my progress with the Chinese language. 

This link

will take you to the last video, but there are previously recorded short videos explaining my thoughts and feelings along the way. I hope this will help someone that come across this post. Providing something that I was searching for when I initially began learning.

Let me know in the poll or comment section what you think, Thanks.

Edited

Native
English
Learning Swahili

leosmith wrote:
Congrats on your progress. 加油!
我很感谢!

Posted

Native
English
Learning Swahili

Could you add this to the translations for russian (or other languages as well)? 

ttps://cooljugator.com/ru

Posted

Feedback