Jess.PWinkler's recent topics

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

So, I honestly never heard some of the flirting phrases in English and I found them so strange O.o.... I thought it would be funny to share this video with you guys :)

How do you flirt in your language? Como echas los perros? :O 

Edited
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Por lo menos en mi pais tenemos la tendencia de asociar cierto tipo de comportamiento en los humanos con los animales:

Rata - alguien que es malo o traicionero

Cuaima - mujer celosa

Burro - alguien bruto

Pavo/pavito - joven sifrino

Vaca - alguien gordo

Perro - hombre infiel 

Gata - mujer provocativa

Pargo - gay

Me pregunto si sera algo general del habla hispana o si sera algo regional. 

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you think that "B" or "V" might disappear in a distant future? Maybe as "J" replaced "X" in old spanish. Even though their pronunciation may vary, they share similarities. What do you think?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Unclassified languages are languages whose genetic affiliation has not been established, mostly due to lack of reliable data. Most of those unclassified languages have this status because they belong to isolated or lost tribes that are hard to get a hold on. I came up with this term when I was doing some reasearch about the "Sentinelese" tribe, I'm not sure if you heard or read about this news but there was a missionary that thought that it was a good idea to turn the Sentinelese to Christianity... I think that's insane (If you feel curious: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6446515/US-missionary-John-Chau-killed-remote-Sentinel-tribe-obsessed-years.html).

So, back to the topic, do you think that it's a good idea to leave an isolated tribe alone? Do you think its a good idea to try to impose them a culture so they can "fit" into the modern world? Do you think that in a far future it'd be possible for the people to get to know these people, their language and culture? If it wasn't for the Spanish realm, I'm not sure if I ever existed or which language I'd be speaking right now so I have crossed feelings about this topic, don't get me wrong I think that it would be awesome for the Sentinelese to keep their land and live a life of their own, I think that if they receive any influence from the outside world we'd be loosing another extrange but not endangered language.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Most of the world uses Arabic numerals (0–9) but Arabic itself uses different symbols... That's quite confusing, do you know of other languages that use different symbols to refer to numbers? Or languages that use 2 types of numbers?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I realized recently that with my current knowledge, I can’t engage in a small conversation (Hallo.......*crickets*.... Auf wiedersehen) because I haven’t learned basics to communicate (how are you? what's your name?), just daily stuff. When you are learning your target languages, which are your favorite topics to start to learn vocabulary? Conversation basics? Must-know travel phrases? Career vocabulary? Daily stuff vocabulary? I know that this is truly connected with our reasons and motivations to study a language, but, I’m curious.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

What do you think about this? In my country one of the presidents tried to take English out of the high school curriculum and include an indigenous language. I know that some of those languages are dying, but I think that taking English out of the education is a big mistake. I think that this decision should be more regional and that it should be a plus, it shouldn't exclude English.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

What do you think? I honestly don't think so, sometimes natives are too informal in certain aspects.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Spanish: as far as I've seen, the verb "To Love" depending on how you use it, can be 3 different things in Spanish: "te quiero", "me encanta" or "te amo", like:

- Te quiero - I love you (in a less passionate/romantic way)

- Me encantan las panquecas - I love pancakes

- Te amo - I love you (in a romantice/passionate way)

What about your language?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

18 of November:

1650 - National day of Oman.

1803 - Battle of Vertières in Haiti.

1918 - Proclamation of Independence of Latvia.

1956 - Independence day of Morocco.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

It's not a surprise to see how globalization brings together different cultures, but what about education? At least in my country, you have to pass a proficiency test in English to opt for a postgraduate, master or doctorate degree. Is there a requirement like this in your country? 

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

The other day I was translating a text from English to Spanish, and God.... how annoying it was to select the correct object pronoun in Spanish. For example "I'm inviting you to my house", let's see our options, if this text is going to be read by several different people and is supposed to be used as a template: "Te/le/les/la/las/lo/los estoy invitando a mi casa" (In some cases "les/los/las" (plural) can be "them" or "la/lo" (singular) can be "her/him", it all depends on the gender, number and person). If you don't know exactly who is going to read that sentence it turns into a complete nightmare:

1. Te estoy invitando a mi casa (you - singular - informal - second person) 
  2. Le estoy invitando a mi casa (you - singular - formal - neutral - third person)
  3. Les estoy invitando a mi casa (you - plural - formal - neutral - third person)
  4. La estoy invitando a mi casa (you - singular - feminine) / It depends on who are you speaking with, this applies when you are talking with the same person "you are inviting" and she is a woman. Otherwise, it would be like "I'm inviting her to my house" here you are speaking with someone else about that person and you can still translate the sentence like "La estoy invitando a mi casa".
  5. Las estoy invitando a mi casa (you - plural - feminine) / same as above, just plural. "I'm inviting them to my house" when you are speaking about "them" with someone else.
  6. Lo estoy invitando a mi casa (you - singular - masculine) / same as "la", just maculine.
  7. Los estoy invitando a mi casa (you - singular - masculine) / same as "las", just maculine.

My conclusion is that if you don't know the gender or number of an object pronoun in Spanish use "le or les". I'm not a inguists just a native, please correct me if I'm wrong.

NOTE: you can't use "le/les" as articles. 

English is so inclusive, I love that. 

English 1 - Spanish 0

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I'm kind of bad at spelling in English, I tend to confuse "a", "e" and "i" (I blame Spanish for this)

What about you?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Weeks ago I found this video and I started to search for information about our mindsets and language learning, I wasn't disappointed. Our mindsets guide our thoughts and determine what we think and how we act. One of the most important tips I found was that your mind chooses the way it wants to learn and that we always have to be aware of the difficulties we find during our learning path so we can do changes in our learning or encourage us to go further. There might be times that we think that we s***k..... but, no we don't, we are learning! We just have to set our mindsets with positive and encouraging thoughts to help us reach our goals. 

Mindsets that can help us improve in our language learning:

1. Self-motivation and being aware that everything counts.
  2. Mistakes won't kill you, they'll make you better.
  3. Consistency, dedicate time to your language learning.
  4. Immerge in your target languages, find activities that can help you get better ans better.
  5. Practice, no matter if you learn "how to do" things, you have to "do" them. 

I must confess that I'm not too good with my midsets when it comes to new languages, when I start to lack in consistency my self-motivation goes away. "You are not practicing, you will not learn" that's one of the thoughts I have every day I don't practice at least some words. From now on, I'll try to change those inner words and I'll say to myself "Oh, I don't have time to practice today, but I can hear a podcast in Italian or German". 

How do you feed your self-motivation to keep your consistency?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I've got a devilish flu/cold and I've been feeling terrible the past days :(... Do you have a magic granny remedy? I'm trying with tea+honey+lemon :o

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

In Spanish (depends on the region) we tend to use words from English due to its exposure, we use them that much that for example, it's strange when someone refers to "happy hour" as "hora feliz". We also use some French words, but it's different, those words have an academic background.

I was looking if Spanglish was a real thing and ended up finding this link:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_4157226

And it kind of creeps my out, I honestly don't think that Spanglish will be a real thing, an official thing... It's just a convenient thing. I know that many languages share words, but sometimes we tend to merge our languages when we are near people that can understand us. 

Do you merge the languages you know?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

It may be annoying to learn how to use accents in Spanish, but they are absolutely necessary. There are many words that are written the same but their accent makes them different:

The most common: 

- papá / dad

- papa / potato or pope

You can twist the meaning of a sentence like "Llamemos a su papá" if you do not use the accent: "Llamemos a su papa", you can easily turn "lets call his dad" to "lets call his potato". Here are other words that use accents and can change the whole meaning of a sentence if you use them wrong:

- "Mamá" and "mama".

Mi mamá es buena / My mom is good

Ella tiene cáncer de mama / She has breast cancer

- "Té" and "te".

Juan toma una taza de / Juan drinks a cup of tea

Te amaré por siempre / I will love you forever 

- "Jugo" and "jugó".

Un litro de jugo / A liter of juice

Juan jugó mucho / Juan played much

- "Más" and "mas".

No quiero tomar más / I don't want to drink more

Estudió mas no aprobó / He studied but he didn't approve

- "Él" and "el":

Él no quiere a su novia / He doesn't want his girlfriend

El gato es negro / The cat is black

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Besides the verb "to be" and gender in general, I think this is one of the most common mistakes people make when they are learning Spanish "Possessive adjectives VS direct/indirect object pronouns", first let me introduce you to possessive pronouns in Spanish:

Possessive adjectives:

Singular Noun Plural Noun Translation Example

mi mis my mi hijo / mis hijos / my children

tu tus your tu perro / tus perros / your dog

su sus their, your, his, her , its su caramelo / sus caramelos / their candy

nuestro/a nuestros/as our nuestro recuerdo / nuestros recuerdos / our memories

vuestro/a vuestros/as your vuestra madre / vuestras madres / your mother

Now, lets see the direct and indirect object pronouns in Spanish:

Direct and indirect object pronouns:

Direct Object Indirect Object Translation Example

Pronoun Pronoun

me me me él me trajo comida / he brought me food

te te you te lo dije / I told you

lo, la le him, her, it, you se lo dije / le dije / I told him

nos nos us él nos trajo comida / he brought us food

os os you os espero / I'll wait for you

los, las les them, you se los dije / les dije / I told them

They look similar right? But so different...

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I think that 2 topics merged in here:

https://languagetools.io/forum/t/2525

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you think they are a good tool to learn/teach a language? Even when they don't have audio, you can use them to force yourself to write the script, storyline or describe things in the language you are learning. 

I found this idea not so long ago and I've not being able to give it a try... What do you think?

http://kierandonaghy.com/seven-best-silent-short-films-language-teaching/

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I'll state three things about me, two are true and one is a lie, the first one of you to guess which is the lie takes the next turn. 

- I love cats

- I'm allergic to cats

- I go out every night

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

What do you do when you have a bad day? I like to walk and eat chocolate, it helps me.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

How do we create a memory? With 3 "basic" steps:

ENCODING: this is when you notice an event or when you come across a new piece of information and your brain perceives the sounds, images, physical feeling, or other sensory details involved. According to www.human-memory.net/processes_encoding.html there are three or four main types of encoding:

- Acoustic encoding: is the processing and encoding of sound, words and other auditory input for storage and later retrieval. This is aided by the concept of the phonological loop, which allows input within our echoic memory to be sub-vocally rehearsed in order to facilitate remembering.

- Visual encoding: is the process of encoding images and visual sensory information. Visual sensory information is temporarily stored within the iconic memory before being encoded into long-term storage. The amygdala (within the medial temporal lobe of the brain which has a primary role in the processing of emotional reactions) fulfills an important role in visual encoding, as it accepts visual input in addition to input from other systems and encodes the positive or negative values of conditioned stimuli.

- Tactile encoding: is the encoding of how something feels, normally through the sense of touch. Physiologically, neurons in the primary somatosensory cortex of the brain react to vibrotactile stimuli caused by the feel of an object.

- Semantic encoding: is the process of encoding sensory input that has particular meaning or can be applied to a particular context, rather than deriving from a particular sense. 

STORAGE: This must be one of the most #$%&! parts of learning, how much effort and time we need to invest so our short-term memory turns our knowledge in long-term memory? I bet many of us learned things that we can't recall now.

RECALL: The art of remembering things.... when we retrieve a memory we can often associate this memory with something else (like Christmas, I bet we all associate Christmas with a smell). 

We are more likely to remember things we have learned when we associate this things with previous knowledge that is firmly anchored in our memory. We have a huge advantage, we already know a lot of things, so, we only have to find the best way to link our knowledge with what we are learning. I've always thought that "we must live what we learn" (it might sound stupid), is like watching a cooking show and cooking, you might be learning some things by watching the show but the knowledge will stick faster once we cook them. One thing I've learned is that the more we expose ourselves to a more integral learning environment the more easier we can learn. Now for example, every time I cook I try to narrate in my head the steps I'm doing inner voice: "Io taglio la cipolla" while I'm actually cutting the onion in the cutting board, it makes me aware of the action and it helps me retain more the information.  

What do you do to help you remember things?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Have you ever heard of this term? I found this video yesterday and I started to search information about this:

I also found this website: https://accentism.org/

"The Accentism Project is run by Dr Erin Carrie and Dr Rob Drummond, who are both sociolinguists at Manchester Metropolitan University with a shared interest in language variation and change, language attitudes and perceptions, and the prejudice and discrimination shown towards regional and social language varieties and their speakers – in particular, regional dialects, youth language, and foreign accents." 

If you have a story you can submit it! Here are some of the stories:

https://accentism.org/stories/

Have you ever being judged because of your accent? I have!

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Only 3 countries in the world use the imperial system for everyday use, Myanmar, Burma and the US (as far as I know). In my country we use the metric system for everyday use and the imperial system for plumbing stuff, nuts and screws (in inches). I was curious if other countries were like this too? 

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Foreign friendly countries? 

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

A palindrome is a "word, phrase, number, or other sequence of symbols or elements, whose meaning may be interpreted the same way in either forward or reverse direction"

Let's have fun and write palindromes in our native languages! :) 

- Oso (bear)

- Aerea (something that has something to do with the "air", like an "Air force" (fuerza aerea)...)

- Anita lava la tina (Anita washes the tub)

- La ruta natural (the natural route)

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

6 years ago my mother lost her eyesight in her left eye and she began to consider to learn how to read Braille, shortly after she lost her interest in doing so (today she has a better eyesight in her right eye than before). Even so I looked for information about braille and I discovered that it isn't universal (if you know how to speak English and Hebrew you would have to learn both in Braille if you intend to use both). 

They have Grade 1 (like a regular alphabet), Grade 2 and Grade 3. The last two are contractions and abbreviations, Grade 2 Braille (more complex) seems to be a more universal writing/reading style. It doesn't seems fair that people that are blind or that are loosing their sight should learn more than one "Braille Alphabet" to communicate.

Do you have anyone near you that knows Braille?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I was looking for proficiency tests and I found this article:

https://www.lingq.com/blog/2015/04/28/language-proficiency-tests/

I thought that it was a good idea to take all 5 tests like that girl did, unlike her I decided that I would take them all in the same language (in English because it's my second language). I'll give you my opinion about all of them. 

Bridge (http://www.foreignlanguagetest.com/):

I must say that the one I liked the most is this one, it has listening comprehension unlike the other tests and you are graded by each part individually, so you can see where you must improve. You have 65 minutes to complete this test (I casually had a work emergency while I was doing it so I had to finish it quickly before the time ended), I plan to practice on my grammar (I know I have some issues with some grammar rules I learnt like 20 years ago xD) and take it again soon.

SprachCaffe (https://www.sprachcaffe.com/) and Transparent (https://www.transparent.com/):

They are practically the same test, they divide the test in 4 parts and they grade according to the number of correct answers:

SprachCaffe - 73/80

Transparent - 129/150

Language level test (languagelevel.com):

15 questions in 10 minutes, I'm not sure how they can determine your language proficiency with only 15 questions, but I got the same result as the Bridge test  

Lingq proficiency test (https://www.lingq.com/en/language-proficiency-test/):

This one was easy and fun, like a game, it didn't feel like a test at all. They give you a number of words you "know", I'm not sure how they are supposed to calculate this though.

So, the one I liked the most (Bridge) unfortunately it's only available for Spanish, English and Portuguese. If you know any of these languages I recommend you give them a try with that test, it's worth it. I'll try it later with Spanish just for fun :).

Edited
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

It is a lot more easier to learn a language that shares the same alphabet than yours, I've tried to learn the basics in Hebrew by myself and every time I tried I failed. So, I'm going to take advantage of the fact that there are a lot of active members in the forum who know more than one alphabet, how did you start to learn a language that has a complete different alphabet than yours? I found it discouraging, Hebrew has 22 letters (all of them are consonants ) and vowels appear under the consonants as dots. From my point of view, once you learn all the consonants when you combine 2 letters (consonantes) they don't sound like how you would think they would sound. 

Do you guys have tips? It feels like it would need exclusive dedication and a lot of practice to at least reach a basic level of understanding.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

For several years I worked as a customer service representative to pay for my studies, that was when I realized that I was thought a British spelling at my high school, then I blend it with the American spelling. I didn't knew there was a difference bigger than the difference between both cultures, accents and how they refer to daily objects like flat-apartment and trousers-pants, but it was. I realize this when I was submitting a cancellation for an order and the browser kept telling me "Order canceled!" it made my eyes hurt (don't get me wrong, my eyes also hurt when I see "apologise" and "familiarise"), I was used to "cancelled" instead of "canceled". I freaked out for a second and googled it to see if I was wrong and then I realized that both were correct, the difference is the country they are used in. As I investigated further about this I discovered that there was a spelling reform in the United States held by Noah Webster after the independence of the US from the British (author of "A compendious Dictionary of the English Language"). The whole point was to make English easier to learn and to help the spelling match the pronunciation of the words, but more importantly, it would distinguish the American English from the British English. 

Some of the spellings he proposed were adopted but other were not, in his changes he omitted silent letters like:

- Giv - give. (not adopted)

- Ar - are. (not adopted)

- Ov - of (not adopted)

- Color - colour. (adopted)

- Honor - honour. (adopted)

I also found some words proposed by important US characters that were not adopted:

- Benjamin Franklin - "Alfabet" instead of "Alphabet". (He even suggested replacing the letters c, j, q, w, x and y with two new vowels and four new consonants)

- Theodore Roosevelt - "Kist" instead of "Kissed".

Here is a page that explains very well some of the changes:

https://www.thoughtco.com/noah-websters-english-spelling-reform-1692675

Do you imagine written English, well.... American English like that? 

Edited
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you think that tongue twisters can help you with your speech and your accent?

I do, but I hated them when I was a little girl. I came across this one today "She sells seashells" and it feels so annoying it has to much "s", but I like it, from where I'm from we tend to drop the "s" at the end of the words so this one is a good practice. I'll leave you here one in Spanish just so our Spanish learners can have a little fun: "Tres tristes tigres tragaban trigo en un trigal, en tres tristes trastos tragaban trigo tres tristes tigres" (English: Three sad tigers swallowed wheat in a wheat field, in three sad dishes three sad tigers swallowed wheat")

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

If your work is demanding, how do you keep track of your studies? I decided to open this thread looking for counseling. I worked and studied my whole career and honestly I found it harder to concentrate when it comes to learn a language, I will not learn anything when I'm saturated from daily things. Actually while I was studying my career (architecture, if you value your sleeping do not study it) when I was tired or felt stubborn, those feelings made me choose simpler and practical options that a clear head would have had to dive in a universe of options to find a solution. It is not like I decided to work tired, it was the daily bread those days. So, how do you manage your time? I got used to get tired and then try to find a solution to work other things out. I have the motivation, I just feel like don't have the correct amount of time to fulfill my goals and learn my target languages at a conversational level.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

In Venezuela we have a lot of beautiful places I'll like to show you.

NATIONAL PARK CANAIMA

Auyantepuy and the Angel Falls: the Angel Falls is a waterfall in Venezuela. It is the world's highest uninterrupted waterfall, with a height of 979 meters and a plunge of 807 meters. The waterfall drops over the edge of the Auyantepuy mountain in the Canaima National Park.

Mount Roraima: is one of the oldest formations on Earth dating back to some two billion years ago. Mount Roraima is the highest mountain of the Pakaraima chain of tepui plateaus in South America.

NATIONAL PARK MEDANOS DE CORO:

Located in the peninsula of Paraguana, is a beautiful place formed by massive sand dunes, known as Médanos approximately 5km wide with the sea on both sides.

NATIONAL PARK MORROCOY:

Near of los Médanos de Coro is located this park (which I love), it has beautiful beaches, cays and caves.

NATIONAL PARK EL AVILA:

It is my North (I'm not joking, if I'm lost I look up), my city is right in the valley of the mountain and this huge beautiful mountain is between the Caribbean sea and my city.

How's your country?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

The verb to be can be translated as "ser" or "estar" in Spanish and both mean different things. I was trying to look for a way to explain this difference from the point of view of an English speaker and it was quite hard since this comes naturally to me.

You can use "ser" to describe a thing (example: La casa es grande / The house is big), a person (example: Ella no es mi hermana / She is not my sister) or yourself (example: Yo soy una mujer / I am a woman). To describe a permanent mood (example: Soy feliz / I am happy).

You can use "estar" to describe a temporal mood (example: Estoy triste / I am sad), a sickness (example: Yo estoy enferma / I am sick) or the location of something or someone (example: El está en la casa / He is at the house). You can also use it to describe an action that is happening right at the moment as you are speaking or writing (example: Yo estoy comiendo / I am eating), it is usual to see the verb to be "estar" next to another verb in this cases.

I've studied the verb to be as “ser” in my target languages, I've not looked if this differences exist in German and Italian for the verb “estar”. I think that Italian will have a verb “estar” since Spanish and Italian are both romance languages, but will German do? English and German are both Germanic languages so there is a chance I won't find a verb “estar”. I took a break from verbs so I'll study this later.

Have you found a peculiar difference in the languages you are learning? Differences that could change the way you think.  

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I saw this video and I had to share it with you guys, it's a great tool to help children with learning issues to communicate :).

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Let's talk about Spanish in English :)... I'm a native, but I'm curious... Which are the most difficult things about Spanish from the perspective of a foreigner?. I could list some of the most common mistakes people can do in Spanish (even natives), but I want to know your point of view first!

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you think that learning about the culture of a country is necessary while you are learning a new language? I know that many of you fell in love with the sound of a language or a country itself. However, there are some languages that we learn because we have to (work or school), did you learn to love this language as well?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Hey guys! Have you used the reading tool on the page? I've been using it for the last week and I find it very helpful. I've uploaded songs+lyrics and recipes written in my target languages and I've been practicing and learning about things that I love. Since I'm a beginner I find it hard to find good basic material to use in my target languages, I don't know if I'm to picky or what, but I like to have short stories or paragraphs that I can read and re-read them until I truly understand what I'm reading and until I feel that I'm learning the vocabulary, getting used to the grammar and syntax. It was hard for me to decide what to upload first so, after thinking about it I thought that maybe as native speakers we could write short stories or conversations to help begginers to get used to our native languages and share this material with the other members of the forum :)

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I want to read 1984 (George Orwell), I happen to have the book in English and I will start to read it soon. But I was thinking, we are often taught about our native country literature and there must be so many good books we're missing just because we don't know them. I read Animal Farm and I loved it, I think those books are quite known so, do you know any good book in English you would recommend? :)

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I always thought that learning German with an English base would be easier since they have the same Germanic root, what I learnt was that Spanish would be a great tool too. Modern English doesn't have gender nouns like German and Spanish do. In my case as a native Spanish speaker I picture words in my head with a gender like "la luna" (the moon) and "el sol" (the sun), being "la luna" a feminine noun and "el sol" a masculine noun. In German it is the opposite "der Mond" (the moon) and "die Sonne" (the sun), being "der Mond" a masculine noun and "die Sonne" a feminine noun. This make a short circuit in my mind, do you think that your native language shapes the way you think about things?

I discovered that unlike other Germanic languages, English lost its gender nouns transforming in the language we now Today. Anne Curzan (Linguist) has a hypothesis that the grammatical gender in English vanished between the 11th and 13th centuries. She states this change could be because of the Norse influence after the vikings invasions on English territory. Even when Old English and Norse had Germanic roots, they both had differences and in order to communicate, their language evolved. Do you think that gender nouns could die out in the future?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Estaba pensando en como el español es tan diverso que cada país de habla hispana tiene diferentes palabras para un mismo objeto, por ejemplo en mi país le decimos:

- "Aguacate" a la "Palta" (E. Avocado).

- "Camioneta" a las "Trocas" o "Guaguas" (E. Truck)

- "Cotufas" a las "Palomitas de maíz" (E. Pop corn)

- "Pitillo" a los "Popotes" (E. Straw)

- "Cerveza o Birra" a la "Chela" (E. Beer) 

Se les ocurre alguna que quieran comparar o que sepan que es distinta? En mi país hay unos cortes de carne que se llaman "muchacho redondo"y "muchacho cuadrado", que extraño verdad?  

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

For me, those were in English: tough, though, thought, through, thorough, and throughout. So confusing!

Which are yours?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

A neutral accent is a way of speaking a language without regionalism. It is usually used by VO actors and its purpose is to avoid people to focus on the accent and focus on the message, aiming a wider audience.

Due the size of countries, it is usual to have regional accents in the same country. In my country those are: andino, central, central-caraqueño, guaro, llanero, marabino (maracucho) y oriental. Sometimes don't you feel that it is difficult to understand people in your own country because of their accent? I do. How many regional accents does your country have? 

I looked for 2 videos from a fellow Venezuelan comparing how do Spanish (LA) and English accents do sound:

English accents: (video is in English, examples in Spanish)

English accents: (video is in Spanish w/English subtitles, examples in English)

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

He decidido que cada día aprenderé un verbo y a como conjugarlos en presente simple con sus pronombres respectivos (1ra, 2da y 3ra persona, plural y singular) en italiano y en alemán. Debido a sus similitudes, anotare estos mismos verbos en español (nativo) e inglés.

Tabla básica de pronombres:

ESPAÑOL ITALIANO INGLES ALEMÁN

Singular: _are/_ere/_ire

1ra persona Yo Io _o/o/o-isco I Ich

2da persona Tu/Usted Tu _i/i/i-isci You Du

3ra persona El/Ella Lui/Lei _a/e/isce He/She/It Er/Sie/Es

Plural:

1ra persona nosotros Noi _iamo We Wir

2da persona vosotros Voi _ate/ete/ite You Ihr

3ra persona ellos/ellas/ustedes Loro _ano/ono/ono-iscono They Sie

Edited
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Qué idioma consideran mas sencillo de aprender teniendo como base el español?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you think they harm or do they enrich languages?

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Is this possible? I was checking and I think this isn't possible when you're writing a post, it would be cool to tag someone like we do on facebook, instagram or twitter. 

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I found this article with really cool facts on: https://lingualinx.com/blog/12-interesting-facts-languages/. One of the most fascinating to me is the number 10 about how languages influence other languages, this has been happening from a long time ago. Right now I think that telecommunications and technological breakthroughs in the world are making it easier to communicate with other cultures, we are in building a common language through technology. What do you think will happen in the future?

Have you ever thought about learning an artificial language? I thought about learning High Valyrian, there is a course in Duolingo so why not?  

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you know that you can improve your pronuntiation and intonation by singing? Not just improve your skills by listening to music (and actually understand what you are hearing), as you learn the lyrics you slowly enhance your speaking skills. 

My experience: 15 years ago I was a part of my high school choir, I never thought that this activity would have such an impact in my future. We had a broad repertory filled with songs in spanish, english, german, italian, latin and hebrew (from what I can recall). My teachers were very strict with the pronuntiation of each word and that learning still stays in my head, it is like riding a bicicle!

So, I was thinking. Do you guys have any song(s) from your native language you would like to share? I would have to think one of mine (Spanish) I'm not a fan of latin music haha.

Posted
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Hello guys! My name is Jessica, I am a native Spanish speaker. My mother is american so I learned English as my second language, I had to learn it faster as my grandfather developed Alzheimer and forgot how to speak Spanish. If any one of you want to practice Spanish, please let me know! I would be more than glad to help you :).

So, I would like to learn Italian and German, is there any native speaker around here?

Posted
Feedback