bbyj's recent topics

Posts30Likes17Joined8/6/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Dutch, Russian, Vietnamese

Vizard AI is a tool similar to Happy Scribe, but it is free and I find that the AI/automatic transcription is superior quality. I have had a very tough time finding something that is accurate in transcribing Vietnamese, but this option has produced the best results so far. Vizard AI produced better results compared to the automated transcriptions and captions available from YouTube. I'd recommend this option to anyone.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Vietnamese resource I found - graded reading in Vietnamese:

https://vietjack.com/vbt-tieng-viet-1-kn/index.jsp

I sooooo wish I had found this earlier....

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello everyone

I am a native English speaker and I thought this website called National Geographic for Kids may be useful to you. It is meant for children, but I am finding it interesting as an adult, especially the "Countries" page. Even as an adult, I am able to learn from this website in an interesting way. The videos are too childish, but anyone can enjoy the written content. I think that if you're learning English, this may be useful to you, too. 

Many American children had National Geographic magazines sent to their homes. 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Why is there a discrepancy between my known words in Statistics and in Vocabulary? 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

If I can do it, anyone can. undefined

I can't consider myself having learned a language well yet, but I will get there with time.

I'm monolingual. Family speaks different languages, but I have no "heritage language" (my parents are monolingual)

Languages I want to learn

• Vietnamese
  • Dutch
  • Mandarin
  • Japanese
  • Spanish
  • Russian

Current Status

• Vietnamese - ~B1, on and off for 3 years, with month-long breaks.
  • Dutch - A2, on and off for 1 year.
  • Mandarin - A1, just started last month
  • Japanese - A1/N5, was at N4 level but stopped after many years. Just picked it up again
  • Spanish - None, studied in school but I don't remember any
  • Russian - None, except I can read some of the letters

Goals

• Vietnamese - B2
  • Dutch - B2
  • Mandarin - B1
  • Japanese - N4 or N3 or so
  • Spanish - A1 or A2
  • Russian - A1 or A2
Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello

The linking issue with Vietnamese was totally fixed in the last thread and it's awesome now. Though, I noticed this functionality is not present in the app on Android. Can this be added?

Thanks!

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Good evening LanguageCrush,

I have a suggestion or question that is applicable to my TL of Vietnamese but may also be applicable to other languages as well. In Japanese and in Chinese, to my knowledge, several words may be made up by more than one character. For example, in Japanese, 綺麗 means "beautiful", whereas the two separate characters 綺 & 麗 are not interpreted individually to mean "beautiful". They instead have different meanings or have no meanings. 

This idea is represented also in Vietnamese. Please take the following examples:

• quần áo = clothing
    • quần = pants
    • áo = shirt
  • kế hoạch = plan
    • kế = by, doesn't really have a meaning on its own that I know of
    • hoạch = no meaning alone that I know of
  • tráng miệng = dessert
    • tráng = coat
    • miệng = mouth
  • bối rối = baffled, embarrassed, troubled, confused
    • bối = no meaning that I know of
    • rối = puppet

Hopefully this illustrates the common idea in Vietnamese language in which the two words really make up just one word. However, when I try to join them into one word to be categorized as a word in LanguageCrush, it removes the space between the words, thus saving it as quầnáo, kếhoạch, trángmiệng, and bốirối. These are not necessarily "phrases" and it is incorrect to write them like this in Vietnamese. 

Is it possible to "link" words without removing the space between them? 

Thank you.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello everyone,

I have an email from Anna with Easy Languages saying that we have permission to use their videos on the website. "You’re welcome to embed our YouTube videos on your website or include a link to one of our channels in your course or curriculum free of charge

However, if you’d like to download and re-upload one of our videos to another platform, you’ll need to purchase a license from us. Our prices for 5-year commercial licenses start at 600€."

We will just embed, so it looks like we can use their things. Please let me know if you want a copy of the email. Here's a few examples of their videos:

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello,

Has LanguageCrush considered partnering with Youtubers to offer, say, a month of subscription in exchange for a review on Youtube? It was an off chance that I even found out about LanguageCrush and think that a lot of people would love to learn on here if they had ever heard of it. Just curious what marketing LanguageCrush does or if that's even a goal for the tool.

Thanks

Posted

- bbyj

Feedback