Learning a Language Through Music

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

When I'm learning a foreign language I like to listen to songs in this language and translate the lyrics. Thanks to this method I've always learnt many useful words and phrases. Sometimes a song gets stuck in my head so I repeat it in my mind over and over again, remembering the new words.

Aside from their memorable melodies, many songs have memorable stories in them as well. You simply have to follow the story and learn the vocabulary along the way. I thinks it's a great and easy way to learn foreign words!

What about you? Do you learn languages through music too?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

It is a great way to learn and easier to memorise, I did this with bothArabic Egyptian c and Spanish 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Learning through music is actually how I accidentaly started learning bits of Korean, German, and Spanish. Growing up I liked listening to music in other languages more than my own! :) I found myself singing the chorus of a Kpop song throughout the day then thinking "What am I saying?...Then I realize I've been singing "I keep dreaming about you" :D Music really is a great way to learn a new language. This is probably why we are taught the alphabet in a song. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

This is interesting. I'll try to read the lyrics of my new favorite lately from black pink du ddu du ddu :D

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

This is actually highly recommended. :) I facilitate Voice and Accent Training for local call centers and this is one of the things we recommend to our students. Songs are a fun way to get people used to actually saying the words instead of reading stuff quietly in a corner. It helps them get used to how the words feel in their mouths and can also help them get used to the cadence of the language. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
    Feedback