How to find a pen pal?

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

I think the best way to learn a language is to use it. Since it is not always easy to find a native speaker in your country, pen pal can be a solution.

Do you guys use pen pals? Do you know where I could find one?

I don't always have time to meet new people but I think a pen pal could help me to remember the languages I once learned...

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

It's been a while since I heard that term. :)

I used to be on IRC a lot during my teens and I think that did help me get use to English fast. Although these days, I'm not sure how "safe" chat rooms can be if your goal is to learn.

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I used to Use my language exchange .com but I think it is better to try to build this community up from the start and watch it grow maybe we could ask in suggestions for a pen-pal forum use private chat to chat with eachother (stay safe not give out personal details etc ) ?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined14/7/2018LocationAbu Dhabi / AE
Native
Tagalog
Learning English

I agree..why not? That will be a great start.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

I think it is better to try to build this community up from the start and watch it grow maybe we could ask in suggestions for a pen-pal forum use private chat to chat with eachother

Up for this. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Olga.Cygnel wrote:

I think the best way to learn a language is to use it. Since it is not always easy to find a native speaker in your country, pen pal can

be a solution.

Do you guys use pen pals? Do you know where I could find one?

I don't always have time to meet new people but I think a pen pal could help me to remember the languages I once learned...

This is a good suggestion. What language are you learning now? Maybe you should visit friendship sites or an online community offering help for language learners just like this one. Just be careful because you might meet naughty ones.  

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
I used to Use my language exchange .com but I think it is better to try to build this community up from the start and watch it grow maybe we could ask in suggestions for a pen-pal forum use private chat to chat with eachother (stay safe not give out personal details etc ) ?

Totally agree - that's one of the things chat is for. By the way, have you checked your messages here?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English

leosmith wrote:

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Totally agree - that's one of the things chat is for. By the way, have you checked your messages here?

I don't appear to have any ... May just be from mobile though I have to turn the phone landscape to see the list of rooms ! 

Posted 
Native
English

Ah I see your message Leo but I can't reply I get no keyboard pop up to type with will try on the PC when I get home 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

When I was learning Spanish I found two pen pals to write with. The website doesn't exist anymore, I don't even remember the name.

One guy that I was talking with, we had a lot in common. He wasn't native Spanish but the discussions we had were very interesting and entertaining for me. I lived alone at that time and had a lot of time to chat on Skype after work. Our friendship ended abruptly when he discovered that I was married. Then his interest to chat with me in Spanish decreased. It's a pity. I thought I made a friend. :/

Posted 
    Feedback