How do you start learning a language and what motivates you?

Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationGeorge Town / GY

When looking to learn a new language how would you start and what motivates you?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018Location

When I start learning a new language i mainly focus on phonetics of the words because there are some words which can change whole meaning of your sentence wrong pronunciation. 

Here comes the second part of the question, What motivates me?

Whenever, I start learning a new language behind there must be reason like a new job opportunity, native poetry or novels. sometimes it happens that I am watching some TV show to understand it. Looking at subtitles while watching your favourite show is real pain :(

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

Usually I'm interested in visiting the country where the language is spoken and getting to know the culture better through the language.

I would also learn a new language if I needed it for work. It's a pleasure to learn when there is a reason behind. :) 

I personally like to attend courses, 2-3 times per week when I start learning a new language. I like to understand the logic behind the grammar. I like when there is a teacher that explains everything to me.

I don't have a lot of patience to study a language by myself. So I always start by attending a course. It's fun to get to know other people at the course with the same interest.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

The most convenient for me is by taking courses online. My motivation is to have more job opportunities. 

Posted 
Native
Russian, Swedish

Aileen.Cortes wrote:

The most convenient for me is by taking courses online. My motivation is to have more job opportunities.

In my country speaking many languages doesn't necessarily mean you will be appreciated on the job market. It's annoying, only few employers appreciate when their employees speak foreign languages. :( Most of them don't see why it's good, what the benefits are. They think only the national language + English is enough, no need to try to hire employees who speak more than 2 languages. 

I always feel so flattered when I go abroad and people compliment me on my language skills. It's encouraging :)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Olga.Cygnel wrote:
Aileen.Cortes wrote:
In my country speaking many languages doesn't necessarily mean you will be appreciated on the job market. It's annoying, only few employers appreciate when their employees speak foreign languages. :( Most of them don't see why it's good, what the benefits are. They think only the national language + English is enough, no need to try to hire employees who speak more than 2 languages.
I always feel so flattered when I go abroad and people compliment me on my language skills. It's encouraging :)

oh too bad! I envy you for speaking more than 2 languages I think? based on your previous posts. :) 

Here in the Philippines there are lot of job opportunities and they will pay you more if you speak Spanish, German and French. :) It's too expensive though to learn these languages here.

Posted 
Native
Russian, Swedish

Wow interesting. Here in Finland they are supposed to pay more for each language that you can use at work, but they don't. And as I said they think it's enough with English so they don't necessarily hire people who speak other foreign languages, even if we have lots of tourists from Russia, Germany, China, Italy!

Philippines sounds like a country I should visit! :)

Too bad it's too expensive to learn other languages there. But nowadays with internet I guess it's possible to learn alone with the help of apps and websites like this one.  

Posted 
    Feedback