Work around available - Night Modus

Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationDE
Native
German
Other English, Russian, Spanish, Tamil

Hey! I do have a suggestions for the style of the site. Very simple. 

Maybe add an Night Modus to it? (manually enabled or disabled) So everything that is white right now is becoming black. I really like it when site have something like this. My eyes just appreciate it. 

Cheers :) 

harmony. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning French, Spanish
Other Irish

This is a great idea. I prefer to use night mode on my phone especially because I'm usually in bed! I believe it uses less energy for the screen to display black too so it's environmentally sound! 

Posted 
Native
German

James.B wrote:
This is a great idea. I prefer to use night mode on my phone especially because I'm usually in bed! I believe it uses less energy for the screen to display black too so it's environmentally sound!

exactly!

harmony. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I'm not a fan, but I'll ask to see if an option would be possible.

Here is an interesting article on it.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Native
German

Would be nice to have something like this :) 

harmony. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning French, Spanish
Other Irish

leosmith wrote:
I'm not a fan, but I'll ask to see if an option would be possible.
Here is an interesting article on it.

That is interesting and I'm not hugely surprised that black text on a white background is easiest to read but there must surely be something to be said for not staring at a bright screen in a dark room?! Or is it purely anecdotal that it strains the eyes? 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

James.B wrote:
That is interesting and I'm not hugely surprised that black text on a white background is easiest to read but there must surely be something to be said for not staring at a bright screen in a dark room?! Or is it purely anecdotal that it strains the eyes?

They talk about that in different responses. One popular opinion is that a dark background is better in a dark room, and a light background is better in a light room.

That being said, I'm told this is a pretty big change. It's something we'll look at in the future, maybe at the same time we go to an app. Thanks for bringing it up aaronhawk. I'm going to lock this thread for now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog

Is it possible to get a night mode for the site up and running? I use a few addons to chrome to make night browsing less painful on the eyes, and none of them are compatible with the languagetool. They all conflict in some way (can't see peach words, or the peach and green are too bright vs the dark background). I love language tool and I promote it beyond these waters but the lack of nightmode is really annoying. 

So far my work around is just to dim the heck out of the languagetools tab on chrome, but it isn't a good fix just a stop gap until a nightmode is implemented. 

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

We'll look into it again. Last time we checked it would have been an expensive change.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Hi Clayton, can you attach a screenshot(s) of the issue?

Posted 
Posts54Likes59Joined4/9/2019LocationCórdoba / AR
Native
Spanish
Learning French, German
Other English

Hi Clayton. Have you tried Dark Reader for Chrome? I use it in dynamic mode and get pretty decent results.

OFF

ON

Mobile is another story though. I have the option to invert colors on my phone (Samsung S8) but I think most devices lack that ability.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

markoSSS wrote:
I have the option to invert colors on my phone (Samsung S8) but I think most devices lack that ability.

Thanks for that info - I have an S8 but never tried night mode.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog

@Marko Wow, thanks I haven't tried dark reader but this is the second or third time it has been suggested for various things. I've been using deluminate and stylish.

I have a J7 but the night mode doesn't work for some reason, hasn't since I got it repaired after a student broke it last year.

@Leo I'd rather not screenie it, my previous work around was painful to the eyes and I'm not sure how I had my deluminate setup. I'll try again and confirm Marko's results. 

Big thanks to everyone here.

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
Posts54Likes59Joined4/9/2019LocationCórdoba / AR
Native
Spanish
Learning French, German
Other English

Hi Clayton. When you say that the negative colors mode is not working anymore do you mean the shortcut (power button + volume up)?

If so you can turn that back on under Settings > Accessibility > Advanced Settings > Power and Volume Up Keys

Toggle both the main function and then Negative Colors on and you should be set.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

Clayton confirms that "darkreader" does work as a work around, so I'm closing this ticket.

Edited 
    Feedback