"12 most interesting facts about languages" by Caitlin Nicholson

Which is the most widely spoken language in the World Today?

100%

0%

0%

This poll will run forever.

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I found this article with really cool facts on: https://lingualinx.com/blog/12-interesting-facts-languages/. One of the most fascinating to me is the number 10 about how languages influence other languages, this has been happening from a long time ago. Right now I think that telecommunications and technological breakthroughs in the world are making it easier to communicate with other cultures, we are in building a common language through technology. What do you think will happen in the future?

Have you ever thought about learning an artificial language? I thought about learning High Valyrian, there is a course in Duolingo so why not?  

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

That's a pretty interesting article. I didn't know that they think language started about 100,000 years ago. Widely spoked? How do you define that? I voted for English.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

leosmith wrote:
That's a pretty interesting article. I didn't know that they think language started about 100,000 years ago. Widely spoked? How do you define that? I voted for English.

I was looking for more information about Chinese being the most widely spoken language in the world and I get your point. It should be the language that has more native speakers in the world. However, they have a huge population I think that Chinese could become the most spoken language due to China's population soon. Chinese has 3 or 4 times more native speakers than English.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

How come the Chinese counts 50,000 characters , but they consider the larger alphabet to be the one of Khmer, the Cambodian language? :confused: 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
leosmith wrote:

I was looking for more information about Chinese being the most widely spoken language in the world and I get your point. It should be the language that has more native speakers in the world. However, they have a huge population I think that Chinese could become the most spoken language due to China's population soon. Chinese has 3 or 4 times more native speakers than English.

Yeah, but English is everywhere.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Mai wrote:
How come the Chinese counts 50,000 characters , but they consider the larger alphabet to be the one of Khmer, the Cambodian language? :confused:

They don't call the Chinese writing system an alphabet, but a logographic system.

Posted 
    Feedback