Hi everyone! What's your funniest moment in learning a new language? :)

Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Learning a new language is very interesting and funny at the same time.

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Charlyn wrote:
Learning a new language is very interesting and funny at the same time.

I know. I always laugh in your class. I mostly laugh about my own mistakes. How is it funny for you?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I use to make up words...anything that ends in tion in English sounds right :grin::grin::grin:

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Well, it's funny in a good way because teaching-learning process have to be interactive somehow. It's good to teach with plenty of fun, smiles and laughs if needed. :). I have my own mistakes though. :) so I laugh at it. :)

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Wow Ari! That sounds funny and interesting! :)

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

There are several ways that Vietnamese ask "How are you?" or make general observations about your well-being. 

One fine day, my Vietnamese tutor and I ran into each other, and he just said in Vietnamese, "You look fat". I was about to punch him in the face, when I realized, what he meant was, I look well. 

Another day, my Vietnamese tutor and I ran into each other, and he asked, "Have you eaten yet?". For a short moment, I thought he really wanted to know about my lunch, and was about to regale him with tales of my amazing lunch, and then I realized, he was asking "How are you?"

One other time, once again, my Vietnamese tutor and I ran into each other, and he asked, "Where are you going?" I pointed to a building and walked away. It was probably about 3 mins later that I realized he didn't want to know where I was going, he was asking, "How are you?"

So, don't punch a Vietnamese for calling you fat. And no, they don't want to know if you ate, or where you are literally going. They just want to know how are you.

Posted 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Wow! That is really funny and sounds very interesting! :) I don't have any knowledge about their language but you just give very important insights on how to deal and react with some specific words. Thanks! :)

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I always find it funny when I come up with a word that's mix of my native language and english.

For example, once I had couple people look for directions and I tried to explain to them. But instead of saying "stop lights" I said the macedonian word for it and added -s at the end for plural....they looked surprised and then I realized I just invented a word :D 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I’m African and we have different languages here, the funniest part is when one language means girl and the other means goat. Lol

Posted 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Dragonsky! Yes, it sounds so funny. :)

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

It's so funny, lol

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

When I was starting in the BPO industry, I always practing speaking in english in front of the mirror. Sometimes someone will caught me doing it and I can see a confused look on his/her face. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

same here haha :joy: its mandatory in our training :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Frederick! Same here before, hahah. But I just do it inside my room and no one caught me.lol

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Michell! Yes, same here before. We don't have a choice! lol 

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

Charlyn wrote:

Hi Frederick! Same here before, hahah. But I just do it inside my room and no one caught me.lol

I was so eager to be confident and natural in speaking in english, everytime I see a mirror and thought I was alone... haha

Posted 
    Feedback