10 Terrible Language Learning Tips

Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I stumbled upon this post https://www.fluentin3months.com/bad-language-learning-tips/ and find a couple points that I'm a little guilty believing/practicing in the past - like #4 & #7. 

But I'm really guilty of #5 -choosing an "easy language". LOL.

How about you guys?

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Thanks for sharing.

The list is has some disturbing advice, in that it encourages the path of least resistance, e.g. #6, "start with grammar". I get it, we want a sense of achievement to push us forward, but it's also quite bad advice to tell a learner to just avoid all the hard parts of learning a language, i.e. grammar, which, if you really want to achieve a good level of fluency in a language, is something you have to learn. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

The writer is clearly telling you what to avoid, that's the point of the article.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

I do believe that grammar is as essential as any other language competence. Even at the very beginning. Admittedly, one should work on basic structures and master the first grammar rules alongside with extending vocabulary and practicing listening and writing skills. But I think avoiding grammar till intermediate level might lead to dismal consequences. 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

It consist of both bad and good ideas in learning a language. But I think the learner must have a deeper conviction which ways/ideas he/she likes to start first in order to learn better. 

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I've been guilty of #9 (blush)  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

sounds funny to me. 

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

These are actually everyday myths people believe and its so wrong

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I'll go through it one point at a time

wrote:
I'd also got frustrated with people asking me what the “secret” is to learning a new language, yet never seeming satisfied with my answer of “There is no secret; you need to work hard, speak often and early with people, make many mistakes and use it for real.”

Totally agree. Why can't he stick to writing stuff like this? haha

1)

wrote:
If you are past early teens, there's no point in learning languages

Yes, that's completely false, but

wrote:
You'll never be able to perfect an accent if starting to learn a language as an adult.
is absolutely true. 

2)

wrote:
Only Adults Can Learn a Second Language
This is false, but I think it's a very rare opinion indeed, so I don't see the point of bringing it up.

3)

wrote:
School is the Only Place to Learn a Language
Same comment as 2) - who believes this stuff, and who exactly does he need to warn?

4)

wrote:
Just Watch Movies
Quite a few europeans claim they learned English by watching American TV and movies, so this is a legitimate warning, even though I believe very few non-english learners try it. Plus watching a lot of TV and Movies is great advice, so it's not a huge mistake if that's all you do.

5)

wrote:
Choose an “Easy” Language
There's nothing wrong with learning a language that's supposed to be easier for you specific situation than another, if your decision comes down to that point. It's probably not usually the most important factor, but it might be depending on the situation.

6)

wrote:
Start with grammar
I think it's humorous that someone who urges people to become fluent in 3 months also tells them to wait until they are intermediate before they study grammar. So were supposed to learn it between 2.5 and 3 months? Nice. Anyway, of course it's not absolute first; the alphabet and pronunciation come first. But grammar is fair game after that. No need to discourage people from studying it at that time.

7)

wrote:
Memorise Word Lists
I agree that this is really bad advice, unless these lists are made up of words that you have encountered in context. They just don't stick well.

8)

wrote:
There's No Logic to Grammar
What he's talking about here is native non-teachers, who don't know how to explain their grammar and don't know the rules, will often say "that's just the way it is, you just have to memorize it" in order to keep from looking stupid. Again, I don't think any serious student is going to believe this advice, so nothing to write an article about.

9)

wrote:
Immersion is the ONLY Way to Learn a Language
Again, who believes this stuff? On the other hand, reaching an advanced level in a language is extremely difficult without some sort of immersion, so there is some truth in it.

10)

wrote:
Get “Perfect” At a Language Before You Speak It
This is definitely bad advice for me, but it's a matter of learning styles. Some people just prefer to learn this way; telling them they are some how "wrong" is sort of pointless.

11)

wrote:
Learning a Language is Pointless
Do you really have to tell language learners that pece of advice is bad? Not sure how that benefits anyone. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I totally agree with the writer. The 10 are indeed not good advice/tips for language learners. The writer is pointing out that those 10 tips are complete bogus.

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/11/2018LocationDavao City / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Chinese - Mandarin, German, Japanese, Korean

Upon reading the article, I'm surprised to see that there are such strange tips being given. :O

Although I have to agree with him that language learners can begin by getting confident at using the language in real world situations, even if one is making grammatical errors. Then polish up that skill later. Still, I have to confess that many young language learners, being compelled by their parents to study, are usually obsessed with studying grammar since that's what their school system also provides. ^^;;

I believe it's still better to have a combo of all the aspects and diving into one's interest to have a more effective way of teaching or learning a second language.

Always glad to be of service! Remember that what the mind can conceive, the body can achieve! ^_^

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Great article! Thanks for sharing!

Edited 
    Feedback