Accent marks in French

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

They are not there just for decorations obviously. They are meant to aid you in pronunciation. Just as in English—where if you don’t dot your “i” or cross your “t,” you’re left with a stubby little line that is dangerously close to becoming an “l”—French accents are used to distinguish between letters.

Thank goodness there are just five I should know;four accents from vowel(a,e,i,o,u)and one from consonants(c). 

That's what I'm currently learning, What are you doing? 

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Oghenekevwe! Goodluck in learning French! French sounds interesting. I'm thinking to learn it soon. 

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Charlyn wrote:

Hi Oghenekevwe! Goodluck in learning French! :slightly_smiling_face: French sounds interesting. I'm thinking to learn it soon.

You should Charilyn. It's interesting but not easy. There are days i want to quit,but I'm making progress. When you are ready,I could do with a study buddy :wink:

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Oghenekevwe wrote:
Charlyn wrote:
Hi Oghenekevwe! Goodluck in learning French! :slightly_smiling_face: French sounds interesting. I'm thinking to learn it soon.

You should Charilyn. It's interesting but not easy. There are days i want to quit,but I'm making progress. When you are ready,I could do with a study buddy :wink:

Do you follow a course/syllabus? I'm thinking of learning French again. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

ikaymoreno wrote:

Do you follow a course/syllabus? I'm thinking of learning French again. :)

Presently,I'm letting Duolingo be my guide. Whatever I'm learning for the day from there,I go to the internet and dig deeper and get leads from there . There are a lot of resources out there that are really helpful and fluentu is just one of them.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I love those accent marks in french tbh, they make the language look cool :D 

Also all those "non-pronounced" T letters at the end of some words make it look fancy :D 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I've always liked French. :) I watched the Netflix series Call My Agent just so I can listen to French people arguing while going about house chores. :P

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Oghenekevwe wrote:
They are not there just for decorations obviously. They are meant to aid you in pronunciation. Just as in English—where if you don’t dot your “i” or cross your “t,” you’re left with a stubby little line that is dangerously close to becoming an “l”—French accents are used to distinguish between letters.
Thank goodness there are just five I should know;four accents from vowel(a,e,i,o,u)and one from consonants(c).
That's what I'm currently learning, What are you doing?

Usually they specify pronunciation, but sometimes they distinguish between identically pronounced words.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback