It's time to make the site grow a bit...

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hi all,

Some of you are aware that I’ve been really busy writing a textbook for over a year now, and haven’t had much time to do anything else. So the website just kind of stayed on a plateau. Membership increased dramatically, but activity was level. Well I finished the final draft, and the book is our development team’s hands. That means I now have time to devote to growing the site!

Library for Reading Tool

When my writing started to taper off a while back, I hired a couple people to hunt down material for our library. They’ve done a great job, but we could really use your help. Do you know of any language learning text with audio or text with video that we could use? We have to be sure that posting it won’t violate copyright. Eventually I envision a large community of people posting enough free use material so that even more learners will be attracted and the library will thrive.

That’s it for now; focusing on the Library. I’ll be posting about other parts of the site in the near future. Toodles!

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Do you want to crush your language goals? Sign up here.
Posts54Likes59Joined4/9/2019LocationCórdoba / AR
Native
Spanish
Learning French, German
Other English

Hi, leo. Seems like I found this community at the exact right time ! Congrats on your book finally coming to fruition, I’m sure that involved tons of hard work and will surely pay off.

Regarding public domain material, I think the best place to start would be the Project Gutenberg site. The material is mostly dated, but you can find some gems in there and audiobooks as well. German is a bit tricky in that sense because it underwent an orthography reform in 1996, so anything written before that is ridden with spelling and orthography inconsistencies, but that is neither here nor there really. Personally, I would recommend the Grimm‘s Fairy Tales since it’s a pretty extensive collection of short stories well suited for German learners.

Posted 
Posts54Likes59Joined4/9/2019LocationCórdoba / AR
Native
Spanish
Learning French, German
Other English

Here’s another page that could be useful. https://librivox.org

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Hi Leo, what about internet pages dedicated to free download of books? Maybe those are the ones to be contacted and linked with Language Tools. For ex. www.yaconic.com

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Thanks all!

Posted 
Posts38Likes31Joined28/1/2021LocationCO
Native
Spanish
Learning English, Portuguese

What about letting people create original content for the platform and giving them a reward? For instance, a month with premium account per storie or something like that? I know this post was made one year ago 😂 but I wanted to share an option jejeje 😋

I hope you have a nice day! Native: Spanish 🌺 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

HolaIsabel wrote:
What about letting people create original content for the platform and giving them a reward? For instance, a month with premium account per storie or something like that?

Unfortunately for you, we already have a lot of really good Spanish content We have spent a lot of budget on creating appropriate reading/listening material - if someone wants to create more in exchange for membership that would be great, but it would have to be good quality and in languages that we are lacking.

Posted 
Want to learn more? See the other blog posts
    Feedback