Reading tool - Characters that should not be words list

Posts42Likes25Joined18/3/2018LocationGB
Native
French
Other English

Hi all,


Please list any punctuation or anything that is handled like a word look up here when it shouldn't be.


things like $10,00, $10.00, ?,‘, etc. Please paste them into this list rather than trying to replicate them as sometimes they may look the same but are actually slightly different.


Please also mention the language :-)

 

Edited 
0
#1
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

-, !, ", &, #2, #9, ', /, , #, $, %

(notice that there's some sort of a blank space in there too)



I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#2
Posts42Likes25Joined18/3/2018LocationGB
Native
French
Other English

can you point me at the reading passage with the blank space in it.

Posted 
0
#3
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Dean.Carroll. wrote:
can you point me at the reading passage with the blank space in it.

No I can't, but it's the first entry in my Spanish vocabulary list (known).

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#4
Posts30Likes30Joined3/8/2018LocationSeattle area / US
Native
English
Other Italian, Chinese - Cantonese

Hope I'm not too late to the party...


For the Cantonese Reader:

Digits: 0-9

Chinese Full character punctuation: :, ,《 》?「」【 】

Other Punctuation I've found: <>,+


And honestly, I'd also do the 'English' alphabet: a-z, A-Z


Example:

https://languagetools.io/reading/5938/read


Posted 
1
#5
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

zKing wrote:
Hope I'm not too late to the party...
For the Cantonese Reader:
Digits: 0-9
Chinese Full character punctuation: :, ,《 》?「」【 】
Other Punctuation I've found: <>,+
And honestly, I'd also do the 'English' alphabet: a-z, A-Z
Example:
https://languagetools.io/reading/5938/read

Got em. I'm going to request ( and ) too.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#6
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

leosmith wrote:
Got em. I'm going to request ( and ) too.

done

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#7
Posts30Likes30Joined3/8/2018LocationSeattle area / US
Native
English
Other Italian, Chinese - Cantonese

Looks awesome!  


I checked a few passages and then my ignored Vocabulary and found a few more: ( )·|_~;&"﹖、—

Sorry I should have looked there first as it gives me a nice concise list.


I also saw a diacritic character á, but that's not a big deal as it's likely to be really rare that someone is quoting a Romance language in Cantonese.

Unless you can just ignore everything under unicode point 0x0700 or something like that?


Posted 
2
#8
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

zKing wrote:
Looks awesome!
I checked a few passages and then my ignored Vocabulary and found a few more: ( )·|_~;&"﹖、—
Sorry I should have looked there first as it gives me a nice concise list.
I also saw a diacritic character á, but that's not a big deal as it's likely to be really rare that someone is quoting a Romance language in Cantonese.
Unless you can just ignore everything under unicode point 0x0700 or something like that?

Got everything but the á

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
1
#9
Posts30Likes30Joined3/8/2018LocationSeattle area / US
Native
English
Other Italian, Chinese - Cantonese

Works great! Thanks so much!

Posted 
1
#10
Posts15Likes20Joined27/3/2020LocationPH
Native
English
Learning Tagalog

Can you make sure this applies to the Tagalog reader too? I see things like % and ` and others as words. Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Tagalog/Filipino Language Log: https://languagetools.io/forum/t/3064
Posted 
0
#11
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hey.Joe wrote:
Can you make sure this applies to the Tagalog reader too? I see things like % and ` and others as words. Thanks!

Are you saying when you go to reading tool>vocabulary, select Tagalog from the drop-down and you un-check "ignored", you see those characters? I don't see those characters in mine.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#12
Posts12Likes0Joined3/4/2022LocationIL
Native
English
Learning Hebrew, Russian, Swahili

In Hebrew, they appear as blank spaces, and the third one includes the carriage return/newline


‫ ‫


‫ ‫

/

And a lot of English words and letters


In Swahili "'/:

And a few typos(I think):

eqweta

halimtoki (undefined)

Habri

Ilbawi (undefined)

izidi (undefined)

kavae (undefined)

matupu (undefined)

minane (undefined)

All the ones I marked as undefined were checked in 2 different places. 

Many words are translated as the same word.

And many English words.

Posted 
0
#13
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

A.L. wrote:
In Hebrew, they appear as blank spaces, and the third one includes the carriage return/newline

Sorry, but I don't understand this comment. Which characters are appearing as words, that should not appear as words?

A.L. wrote:
And a lot of English words and letters

Which ones?
Regarding typos, undefined words, duplicate definitions, you can fix those yourself. This thread is just to identify characters and such that shouldn't be listed as words.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#14
Posts12Likes0Joined3/4/2022LocationIL
Native
English
Learning Hebrew, Russian, Swahili

I will write them again, starting with the square bracket (non-inclusive), ending with the / (inclusive) with no additional spaces, newlines or otherwise. 

You should find a space, a space+ newline, and of course /

רגע, אולי אם אכתוב בעברית לפני זה יעבוד

[ ‫

‫/


Literally every Latin character or English word included in a Hebrew passage is counted, and all English words appearing in Swahili are counted. I can send a list, but there have already been a lot of them and it would take a while.


How can I fix typos in a passage? (Sorry, newbie questions!) Also, how can I define undefined words when I can't find the definition anywhere? (I know how to add a definition to a word) 

Posted 
0
#15
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

A.L. wrote:
I will write them again, starting with the square bracket (non-inclusive), ending with the / (inclusive) with no additional spaces, newlines or otherwise.
You should find a space, a space+ newline, and of course /
רגע, אולי אם אכתוב בעברית לפני זה יעבוד
[ ‫
‫/

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying now. You are typing some examples of characters that should be ignored, but they aren't appearing in your post right? I only see [ and / with nothing in between. Maybe a screen shot showing them in your vocab list or in a passage?


Regarding automatically ignoring every word/letter in a language that actually belongs to another language, that would be pretty hard to implement, but I'll write a ticket to discuss this with the tech team in case I'm wrong. The work around here, if it is important enough to you, is to ignore the foreign words yourself.


You can fix typos by editing a passage (if it's yours) or copying then editing a passage if it's not yours. 


If you can't find a definition for a word anywhere, you may have a typo, or if it's that important to you, you may need to improve your bag of tricks for finding them. For example, you can swipe a phrase to see if the meaning pops up in the middle (when it doesn't pop up for the single word). You can google it and sometimes get the correct meaning from bits of articles that come up, or from google images. 


It is probably best to be happy with less than perfect wordlists though. The ultimate goal, after all, is to acquire the language, not to have a flawless list. I use lots of tools, and none of them are perfect, but they still get me where I want to go.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#16
Posts12Likes0Joined3/4/2022LocationIL
Native
English
Learning Hebrew, Russian, Swahili

That's exactly it, they won't "show" because they are blank spaces and newlines. I'm attaching an example. I added red marks to the image pointing to some of them, they appear as grey rectangles. If you highlight the text in my previous comment, you should see that they are in fact there, just invisible.

Posted 
0
#17
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

A.L. wrote:
That's exactly it, they won't "show" because they are blank spaces and newlines. I'm attaching an example. I added red marks to the image pointing to some of them, they appear as grey rectangles. If you highlight the text in my previous comment, you should see that they are in fact there, just invisible.

Highlighting doesn't make them show up, so thanks for the screenshot. So you are saying that you don't like grey rectangles showing up in place of spaces, carriage returns, etc - right? I will try to find out why that was done.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#18
Posts12Likes0Joined3/4/2022LocationIL
Native
English
Learning Hebrew, Russian, Swahili

You're welcome, glad it helps.


Haha no, the grey rectangles aren't too bad, but pink or green is a bit much! They're only grey because I ignored them once I realized what was going on. I can only imagine how distracting it could be for someone else.

Posted 
0
#19
Posts1448Likes980Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Portuguese
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

A.L. wrote:
Haha no, the grey rectangles aren't too bad, but pink or green is a bit much! They're only grey because I ignored them once I realized what was going on. I can only imagine how distracting it could be for someone else.
Oops, my bad! I've rephrased my question to the tech team.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#20
    Feedback