answered - Uploading books

Posts0Likes0Joined9/2/2021LocationNew York / US
Native
English
Learning Hebrew, Korean, Spanish, Yiddish

Hi. So I know it is probably fairly unlikely it will happen. But is there any plan for OPlingo to support PDFs, EPUB, KPF formats. I think it would be quite useful especially once you get to more intermediate and advanced levels if you could upload entire books(of course for personal, not community use b/c of copyright). Because otherwise, you have to do it by copying passage by passage/page by page. This is annoying but wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that kindle at least, has copy limits often set by publishers to prevent lifting the book wholesale. But it means copying chapters into OPlingo to read with the reading tool cannot as eventually you'll hit a limit. 

In a sense that's a good thing because it means you can use OPlingo as an assistant to getting used to the literary style of the book before being forced to read without the aid of the reading tool. But y'know, just wanted to know if there's any support for this idea or if it would even be possible. 

amator linguae

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hi gman. We can discuss this, but are you aware that there are many online and offline tools for converting such files to text files? If you google it, you will see what I mean. That would probably be more effective than copy/paste one page at a time.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/2/2021LocationNew York / US
Native
English
Learning Hebrew, Korean, Spanish, Yiddish

I see I hadn't known they existed, I will look into it. Thanks!

amator linguae

Posted 
Posts44Likes28Joined18/3/2018LocationGB
Native
French
Other English

gman3212 wrote:
I see I hadn't known they existed, I will look into it. Thanks!

How is this going for you?

Posted 
Posts10Likes4Joined30/4/2021LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Spanish

leosmith wrote:
Hi gman. We can discuss this, but are you aware that there are many online and offline tools for converting such files to text files? If you google it, you will see what I mean. That would probably be more effective than copy/paste one page at a time.

This is what I do and it works quite well. Very grateful for OPLingo and I'm glad someone shared your link over at the other site. jaja.

But it would still be nice to have a function for uploading a PDF. Also can't believe how simple it is to upload a Youtube video here. jaja.

Thank you OPLingo!

Nunca pares de cuestionar y aprender

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I will check on what this would cost to make, but budget is tight.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Raymond.S. wrote:
it would still be nice to have a function for uploading a PDF

Sorry, but I got an estimate on this and it is too expensive to implement. Please use one of the many free tools that you can google online to convert your files.

Posted 
    Feedback