deleted.93364's recent posts

Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationLT
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

My first learned language is English and right now I cannot think of anything that annoys me very much in this way (I'm pretty sure there is something, but nothing comes to mind right now). 

And my second learning language is Italian and I do not know it well enough yet to point out any of these annoyances, but maybe, just maybe, in the future, if I will learn this language (I hope) I will be able to answer this question. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

I already write a couple of times on different topics (or forums) on my learning experience and methods, so, if you are interested you should check it out. I don't want to write the same thing over and over again everywhere, so I wouldn't spam the site. :) 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

I find out that for me the best way to learn languages (well, I did it with English and it worked) is to watch movies, TV series, Youtube videos (as someone already mentioned above), and writing. Even if the writing is not correct in a grammar way, just write, and with time (if you will do other things too) you will start noticing where you do mistakes and correct yourself. I don't really know how communicating with other people works, since I started doing that only after I learned a language pretty well, but I guess it helps, because using language practically is said to be the most efficient way to learn (but so far, not from my experience)

Also, playing video games, which are in the language that you are learning helps too. Especially the Sims! Well, I played a lot of The Sims from when I was young and it helps with learning easy phrases, that are very easily adaptable to everyday life. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

I really enjoy learning languages as well, I feel very smart after learning some of it and I think smart people are cool :) And yeah, reading and writing is basically the best way to do it. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

I really want to learn Italian, but I do not have enough will-power to sit and learn. I actually started learning it while I was in my first year in university, so I had motivation, because I was receiving grades. But now, I don't know what to do and I do not really have a lot of money for private lessons, so I should learn myself, but as I said - no will power. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

Well, I tend to remember simple words quite easily, so I do not know what exactly to say here, but I will try to tell you how I learn more advanced words. 

So, basically, I try to connect the word with some kind of silly or another way rememberable the meaning or thing in my life. Don't really know how to explain this, but I will try. For example, the word "pedestrian" is quite similar to one of the Lithuanian slurs used against LGBTQIA+ people, so I kinda easily remembered it. I know it may sound not really nice, and I want to disclaim that I never use that slur, but I still know it, because a lot of people, especially angry people on social media, use it. I hope I make sense. 

Also, sometimes some words just sound silly or laughable to me, so that's is how I remember them, but I don't know how I could help with this situation. 

So, yeah, I hope I helped, or at least you understood what kind of techniques I'm using to learn vocabulary. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

leosmith wrote:
Ugne.Bulotaite wrote:
people from different, most likely smaller cities need to learn "the correct" dialect.

What happens if they refuse to learn the correct dialect?

Well, basically, in schools every kid is being reached to use the right one and with time, most of the people do learn "the correct" one, but in the case, if they refuse or just don't learn, they just keep talking they way they did and there are some problems with people understanding them or making fun of their speech along with it. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

My language is Lithuanian and in it, we have gendered words and there is no word, pronoun for non-binary people or things. The things with feminism and gender movements are complicated here and probably a lot of people would be against having a new word for this situation at this point in time, but I have hopes for the future, maybe we will evolve. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

I actually learned English by watching youtube videos, but not the lessons, just random videos with topics, which interested me. Also, I watched as much as possible movies and TV series in English as possible. I was taking English song lyrics and translating them to my language, practicing my skills, I was playing computer games (especially The Sims) and that's how I improved my English. The grammar lessons were never the thing that worked for me. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

I started learning Italian 2 years ago in university and actually, I would like to start learning it again and I try to do that, but I guess I do not have that much willpower to actually sit and study the thing that is not required by university right now. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

In Lithuania, we learn Lithuanian grammar and literature. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

In Lithuania, we have different dialects, depending on where the person is. And there is the common dialect, which is considered the correct way to pronounce words, In some cities and other places this common dialect is actually common, while people from different, most likely smaller cities need to learn "the correct" dialect. 

Posted
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

In Lithuanian we say "varyk" and it means something like "go for it." 

Posted
Feedback