aprilsun's recent topics

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

Hi, 

I wanted to change my display name. It says "Please contact support to change your display name", however I'm not sure how to contact the support team, so I am writing here.

Just a suggestion, it would be easier if there was a link or information about how the support team can be contacted. :) 

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

Stumbled upon this article today.

Do you believe that soon we won't need to learn a language when there is technology that can help us communicate with each other?

https://www.boredpanda.com/real-time-translator-ear-waverly-labs

The article describes an in-ear device that translates everything for you in real time... Thoughs?

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

I think the best way to learn a language is to use it. Since it is not always easy to find a native speaker in your country, pen pal can be a solution.

Do you guys use pen pals? Do you know where I could find one?

I don't always have time to meet new people but I think a pen pal could help me to remember the languages I once learned...

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

Recently I've decided to learn Chinese. It would be nice to at least be able to say common phrases, mostly I want to be able to speak a little bit with the Chinese tourists that come to our town.

Do you have any tips how I should start? I've never studied a language with a different script so I'm lost!

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

I've accidentally created four of the same topics "Parliamo italiano" in the "Other than English" section. How do I delete the three extra topics? I can't seem to find the delete button. My connection was bad and I pressed "create topic" too many times, that is why there are four of them... 

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

Do any of you guys get excited with learning a new language? To me, learning a language is not a chore, it's not something I have to do, but it is WHAT I LOVE TO DO!

What's your reason for embarking on your language journey?

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

Since I started watching movies and tv-series in original language with subtitles in the original language my language skills quickly improved. For example, when I started watching English tv-series with English subtitles I noticed that after a while I didn't even need the subtitles to understand the speech.

Also, I'm curious. How is it in your country, are foreign movies dubbed or are there subtitles?

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

Learning a new language takes time and dedication. I particularly have encountered issues at work because, I need to make sales and negotiate with clients who are speakers of foreign language to secure contracts. My work involves regular contact with foreign language speakers then, being able to talk with them in their own language will help me communicate better with them. Knowledge of foreign language increases my chances of securing contracts for jobs. 

Some learn a new language for practical, aspirational, intellectual or even sentimental reasons however, having a clear idea of why you're learning a new language can help to motivate you in your studies. Some learn a new language for reasons such as emigration, in-laws family, friends, culture, study and research or even religion .

What is your reason for learning a new language?

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

In the process of learning language ( English) you can face to some problems. Even if your vocabulary and English grammar are perfect, it can still be difficult for people to understand you because of your pronunciation. Learning to pronounce English words correctly can be one of the hardest parts of learning English. So, what can you suggest in order to improve pronunciation skill? 

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

What is your opinion? More than one? More than two? More than three? 

I think if you can speak two languages, you’re bilingual; three and you’re trilingual. If you speak even more, you might be known as a polyglot.

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

When I'm learning a foreign language I like to listen to songs in this language and translate the lyrics. Thanks to this method I've always learnt many useful words and phrases. Sometimes a song gets stuck in my head so I repeat it in my mind over and over again, remembering the new words.

Aside from their memorable melodies, many songs have memorable stories in them as well. You simply have to follow the story and learn the vocabulary along the way. I thinks it's a great and easy way to learn foreign words!

What about you? Do you learn languages through music too?

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

Someone may say they are trilingual when in fact they perhaps speak one language as a native speaker, a second language fluently and the third at only a proficient level. 

What about you? 

When can you say that you are fluent in another language? 

Posted
Native
Russian, Swedish

Hello! I am really interested in learning from those who may be fluent in a language or trying to become fluent in a language some of your best tips/advice that you have personally benefited from in your pursuit of mastering the art of a foreign language. 

To share some of my own advice, I think that the 3 most important traits a language learner must have to reach fluency are: (1) discipline in learning the language, (2) sustainable interest in learning the language, and (3) a passion for a culture that speaks the target language. 

Looking forward to hearing what the rest of you may think or would like to share. Thanks!

Posted
Feedback