Short video: Why most language learning methods don't work

Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

This presents some interesting points on how a new language is learned and why certain methods work and why others don't. I'm still on the fence about what they talk about here, but i'm willing to try them out.

For example, a study showed that putting Spanish subtitles on a video did not help Spanish learners develop their English. I don't see how that works because I've generally learned to understand Japanese better that way. I don't know. I'll withhold judgment and you can decide for yourself if it's helpful or not. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined22/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I love subtitles even in English. I agree though that subtitles doesn't help with learning a language. 

If I was to choose being an animal, I will like to be an Eagle.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Smartchiny wrote:
I love subtitles even in English. I agree though that subtitles doesn't help with learning a language.

Really? Well to be fair, even when I thought I was learning to speak Japanese through the subtitles, there was a lot I failed to understand because no one told me better. 

Caution to everyone: If you have been watching anime to learn to speak Japanese (like me ), be aware that there are *modes* of speaking that should be learned, not just words and phrases. There is a GIRL mode of speaking and a BOY mode of speaking, as well as modes for formal relationships and close relationships. In essence, guys should try not to sound like Japanese schoolgirls fawning over their seniors.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined22/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I'm laughing at 'mode of speaking'. I think that, not sure though, the same applies to learning French. The male and female voices and pitch often differ.

If I was to choose being an animal, I will like to be an Eagle.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

Personally, I believe that each person learns best with a different method. Some even learn best with a mix of different methods. There is no right or wrong method of learning rather, methods that work best for the individual.

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

TaylorFabio wrote:
Personally, I believe that each person learns best with a different method. Some even learn best with a mix of different methods. There is no right or wrong method of learning rather, methods that work best for the individual.

I know! It's like I said, I love the subtitles. They work for me. Apparently, they don't work so well for others, but does it mean we have to categorically brand it as a wrong method? Maybe not.

Posted 
    Feedback