The Language You Speak May Change How You See The World

Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

https://www.iflscience.com/brain/the-language-you-speak-may-change-how-you-see-the-world/?fbclid=IwAR1Vt4NVNcTr3kO5tq-fKRF6doVVTspyRQszneWG1nvbDIwE-A1Hp3YlUbA

This is a rather interesting, if limited study on the relationship between language and what we see. They did a study of using participants from different languages, and asked them what they saw. For some languages, where variations in color did not exist in the vocabulary, the participants did not "see" other colors. 

Another reason to celebrate the diversity of languages.  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

But what if these participants simply didn't know different color shades. Also if they brought another set of speakers who had a good grasp of English language,wouldn't they be able to identify these colors? 

Like you say,the study is actually really limited cos they're lots of variables to it.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Cool article thanks for sharing this is one of my favourite sites, but I didn't see this. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

There is also an extremely interesting research on the Piraha language. It is spoken by some tribe in Amazon region. The thing is, they don't have any numerals in the language. If they need to characterize quantities, they may say 'many' or 'few', but they wouldn't be able to tell you an exact number of items/persons. This means that quantities are not of great importance in their culture. 

Therefore, I strongly believe that the language we speak may shape our perception of the world. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Vladyslava wrote:

There is also an extremely interesting research on the Piraha language. It is spoken by some tribe in Amazon region. The thing is, they don't have any numerals in the language. If they need to characterize quantities, they may say 'many' or 'few', but they wouldn't be able to tell you an exact number of items/persons. This means that quantities are not of great importance in their culture.

Therefore, I strongly believe that the language we speak may shape our perception of the world.

. I watched something with them in it's interesting how lka guage raly just develops out of necessity for example Icelandic language having a notable amount of descriptive words for snow

Edited 
    Feedback