How do last names work in your language and culture?

Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

Here in the Philippines, we have acquired most of our Last Names from Spanish. Our mother's maiden last name becomes our middle name. 

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Most last names in Brazil are European (even among people who clearly have no european origin), and it depends on the region the prevalence of Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, German, etc. We also have many Japanese last names. Indigenous people use the name of their "nation" as last name, but I believe it to be a new trend. It's always the father's name in the end and the mother's in the middle, but it's not mandatory, I only have my father's family name, for example.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

july.lullalove wrote:
Here in the Philippines, we have acquired most of our Last Names from Spanish. Our mother's maiden last name becomes our middle name.

That is interesting with the maiden name becoming the middle name... In the UK we are named pretty freely, but the last name usually comes from your father not your mother (who takes your fathers surname when they marry anyway)

The native names in the UK go back to professions of the family and they borrow from germanic norse and french words

Butcher, Smith/Smyth, Carter, Wainwright...etc

In Spain they get one apellido from each parent the maternal from the mother and the paternal from the father

I learned recently from a Spanish friend that the suffix ez... means son/daughter of... so Martinez would have been son of Martin and Rodriguez... was once from son of Rodrigo etc. In English we also have surnames of this type as well with the suffix son... EG: Davison (son of David) Ericson (son of Eric)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/5/2021LocationPretoria / ZA
Native
English
Learning Zulu

In isiZulu there are praise names attached to last names. So basically every amaZulu person has certain praise names that are connected to their ancestry for every surname. If you know an amaZulu person's praise name for their surname they'd be very impressed with you. 

Luke

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Valeria.Fontes wrote:
Most last names in Brazil are European (even among people who clearly have no european origin), and it depends on the region the prevalence of Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, German, etc. We also have many Japanese last names. Indigenous people use the name of their "nation" as last name, but I believe it to be a new trend. It's always the father's name in the end and the mother's in the middle, but it's not mandatory, I only have my father's family name, for example.

My maternal great-grandfather's family is one of those families who have used the name of the cities where they came from as a last name when they move to another place here in my country. 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
july.lullalove wrote:

That is interesting with the maiden name becoming the middle name... In the UK we are named pretty freely, but the last name usually comes from your father not your mother (who takes your fathers surname when they marry anyway)
The native names in the UK go back to professions of the family and they borrow from germanic norse and french words
Butcher, Smith/Smyth, Carter, Wainwright...etc
In Spain they get one apellido from each parent the maternal from the mother and the paternal from the father
I learned recently from a Spanish friend that the suffix ez... means son/daughter of... so Martinez would have been son of Martin and Rodriguez... was once from son of Rodrigo etc. In English we also have surnames of this type as well with the suffix son... EG: Davison (son of David) Ericson (son of Eric)

This is awesome. I appreciate my appellido even more - SIAREZ. 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Luke.Liebenberg wrote:
In isiZulu there are praise names attached to last names. So basically every amaZulu person has certain praise names that are connected to their ancestry for every surname. If you know an amaZulu person's praise name for their surname they'd be very impressed with you.

That needs a lot of research then. Interesting. I can imagine how challenging it would be for a person to identify those certain praise names for every amaZulu person. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Luke.Liebenberg wrote:
I'm curious for examples of those praise names!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

[/quote]

This is awesome. I appreciate my appellido even more - SIAREZ.
[/quote]

I actually think our names are related at the root... my name Xuereb comes from Suarez, which I am almost certain Siarez is relative to as well :) small world

Edited 
Native
Tagalog

I actually think our names are related at the root... my name Xuereb comes from Suarez, which I am almost certain Siarez is relative to as well :) small world
[/quote]

I agree. I have used a genealogical app before and it says that some Juarez, Suarez and Siarez family names are mostly found in Mexico and Argentina. :) 

Posted 
    Feedback