TV shows

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Some people here have mentioned that they have learnt English watching TV shows . which shows are you watching maybe we can use it aas a conversation starter in thrthethrthethrthethrthe the English chatroom sorry about duplicate words I don't seem to be able to edit from my mobile ( problem reported)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I think TV shows are a great way for you to get used to the nuances of the language and train your ear to get used to how the language sounds. It's not that big of a help though if you want to be conversational. The best way to learn how to speak the language is immersion. Constant use and practice of teh language with other learners or native speakers. :)

If you want to start with TV shows though, any TV show that interests you would work. :) 

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationCA
Native
French, Spanish
Other English, Italian, Portuguese

I loved watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I was about 6-7 years old. The Cosby Show. Pink Panther movies were my favorite (with Peter Sellers, 1963). I was living in a province where french is first language, english second. We mostly had english channels at home. I've recently watched Audrey Hepburn (Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's) movies for the first time as well Marylin Monroe's and found out that the script was so much easier to follow (slower pace, prononciation) and would think it's a good way to learn. Whenever I watch a movie, I often use the subtitles for the following reasons: I've got kids and sometimes they get loud or they're at sleep, and I get to practice my reading. You know that reading makes you memorize (somehow) how to write the word after. That is how I got to write in spanish later, i loved reading TV & Novelas (tv magazine in spanish).

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

Tv series can add a fun and enriching element to a class, I use videos from different tv shows in my classes and then we work on the vocabulary and grammar points

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/9/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Other Japanese, Spanish

I just got addicted to Netflix. I'm a bit late, I know and I just wished I gave in to the hype earlier hahahaha. It's not a TV show but I loved 'The Crown' so much. One of the things that endeared me to the show was their accent and the British English. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Chill wrote:
I just got addicted to Netflix. I'm a bit late, I know and I just wished I gave in to the hype earlier hahahaha. It's not a TV show but I loved 'The Crown' so much. One of the things that endeared me to the show was their accent and the British English.

I also binge-watched The Crown. Not a fan of the monarchs but I loved the acting and the stories in most of the episodes. Didn't like the one with Kennedy though. Felt a bit too...fabricated.

--

ikay

Edited 
    Feedback