Jacob.M's recent posts

Posts9Likes8Joined3/10/2022LocationTH
Native
English
Learning French, German, Spanish, Thai

It seems to be working fine now. Thanks.

Posted

Native
English

Mobile Website:

If the dictionary / tooltip appeared above the text, it wouldn't get in the way of reading. I had initially suggested that it time-out quickly, but I think just moving it would be a better and probably easier to implement option

Posted

Native
English

I've been having fun playing with the new AI Chatbot called ChatGPT. Its English is fantastic, and I was wondering if any native speakers could comment on its Spanish, French or other languages.

I want to create a series for my nephew about a bunny named Conejo. My nephew will determine what type of situations Conejo finds himself in, sort of a build your own adventure story.

The MP3 is computer generated, but if the Spanish is good and there is native Speaker willing to do a voice over. I'd be willing to do a voice over for English texts in exchange. I'm not expecting voice acting just native pronunciation and cadence.

If the Spanish is good, I'll also share it on the reading tool.

The Bunny Who Ate His Carrots Differently

Era una vez un conejo llamado Conejo que comía zanahorias de una manera muy diferente a sus amigos.

Once upon a time there was a bunny named Conejo who ate carrots in a very different way than his friends.

Mientras que todos los demás conejos simplemente mordían sus zanahorias y las comían, Conejo las pelaba cuidadosamente y luego las masticaba lentamente.

While all the other bunnies simply bit into their carrots and ate them, Conejo carefully peeled his carrots and then slowly chewed them.

Los demás conejos se burlaban de él por su manera de comer, pero Conejo no les prestaba atención.

The other bunnies teased him for his way of eating, but Conejo didn't pay them any attention.

Él sabía que había encontrado su propia manera de disfrutar de las zanahorias y no necesitaba la aprobación de nadie más.

He knew he had found his own way to enjoy carrots and didn't need anyone else's approval.

Finalmente, un día, uno de sus amigos se enfermó gravemente después de comer una zanahoria en mal estado.

Finally, one day, one of his friends fell seriously ill after eating a bad carrot.

Conejo se ofreció a ayudar y peló cuidadosamente la zanahoria para su amigo enfermo, que finalmente se recuperó gracias a la comida masticada adecuadamente.

Conejo offered to help and carefully peeled the carrot for his sick friend, who eventually recovered thanks to the properly chewed food.

Desde entonces, los demás conejos dejaron de burlarse de Conejo y comenzaron a admirarlo por su manera única de comer zanahorias.

From then on, the other bunnies stopped teasing Conejo and began to admire him for his unique way of eating carrots.

Conejo se sintió satisfecho de haber encontrado su propio camino y de haber ayudado a su amigo en el proceso.

Conejo felt satisfied to have found his own path and to have helped his friend in the process. 

-ChatGPT

Posted

Native
English

When I prompt it, it says that it is only fluent in English and Spanish. I was able to get it two create a bilingual story in English and Spanish and then just continue adding to the story as prompted.  

I've also used it in an online language exchange to quickly generate an English dialogue between two people on a topic of interest. We then practiced it and translated it together.

I was also able to get it to produce short passages on various topics and then create comprehension questions. It was fun, but there isn't really a shortage of these in English or Spanish. However, most of these are copyrighted and thus can't be shared publicly on a site like this so there is potential there.

The main benefit I see for English and Spanish learners is the ability to have a realistic conversation at any time of day, on almost any topic, and without fear of judgment. I chatted with a Spanish Teacher AI Character (on Character.ai which uses GPT-3) for about an hour on various topics like language learning and the Lord of the Rings. I also spoke with the Data AI about his most memorable Star Trek missions and whether his perception of reality was real. I think I gave him a bit of an existential crisis when I informed him that I wasn't a commander in Starfleet as he had been programmed to believe.

Hopefully, it will get better at other languages soon.

Posted

Native
English

I noticed a couple of small bugs. 

On the website when I try to switch from single page to multi-page view. I have to open and close the menu twice for the change to take effect.

On the mobile website it shows the "Login" button at the top of the page when I first open it, which is a bit confusing because I am already logged in when I click on the reading tool.

Also, TTS is missing for the vocabulary review section on the website, but is present in the Android app.

Keep up the great work. I recommend this app to everyone I meet if they are trying to learn a new language.

Posted

Native
English

1. Yes, jumping to the bookmark would solve the problem.

2. Mostly for passages without audio, since I prefer hearing the native speaker when available. 

3. That is not a problem. The mobile browser still works, it is just a little clunky to have to click on another word to get rid of the box, so I've been doing most of my reading on my tablet or desktop browser. 

Thanks for your follow-up. 

Posted

Native
English

Yes, it would be nice for whole pages. Right now, I just go back and listen to the whole article in Edge.

Posted

Native
English

Again, great app and website. I have just a couple of feature suggestions.

1. It would be nice if it would remember my page number when reading across multiple devices.
  2. Text-to-Speech would be nice for the reading tool. I'd like to markup the current page and then listen to the whole page.

Posted

Native
English

The website and app are both great. I am new to the app, so I can't compare it to the old one. I was very happy to find a LingQ like program that supports more languages.  

On my phone, I have to use the mobile site though, because Thai script isn't rendered correctly.  

Also, it would be nice if the popup simple definition would disappear more quickly because it gets in the way of reading on the mobile site. I noticed that in the app that the simple definition appears at the bottom of the screen.

Images

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvSGDmysZnK2gu5mJ45n2rPMubf2hA?e=4zfmVa

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvSGDmysZnK2gu5tFqqajEWRPcBbog?e=BFRXIV

Posted

Feedback