The company's mission or The mission of the company or The company mission

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

"The company's mission or The mission of the company or The company mission?" is just an example of choosing among the genitive ('s), a phrase, or an adjective expression (sorry, I don't know how to call this last one). I've read somewhere that English is currently tending to transform nouns into "adjectives" ("company" would work as an adjective in my example, not a name anymore, but a quality). Is it really a trend? Is there any rule for that trend?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

As I believe, "The company's mission or The mission of the company or The company mission," those three mean the same. However, they mean slightly different.

"The company mission" : When you typically want to use it as a title like "The Company Mission Statement."

"The mission of the company" : It sounds more like they put emphasis on "Mission."

"The company's mission" : It literally sounds like as it is. It is just a company's mission..

This is just my personal thought.

I wish to hear what others say about!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian
those three mean the same. However, they mean slightly different.

I love English because of things like this, I really do :D

Personally, to me these three really do mean the same, but I wouldn't use them in the same setting.

"The company mission" - this one is something I'd use if I were part of the company and explaining to someone what the company stands for. It has that corporate sound to it.

"The company's mission" - I'd use this if I weren't part of the company, but for example if I were writing an article about some company. Sounds less formal and less attached.

"The mission of the company" - I'd use this if I were trying to hit the word limit on an essay haha. To me it's exactly the same as the previous one.

I really hope to hear other's perspectives on this, it's an interesting question for sure.

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
    Feedback