How do you mark new words?

Posts0Likes0Joined7/12/2021LocationUS
Native
English
Learning French, Hindi

Hi! I'm new here so I wanted to ask how everyone uses this site, specifically, how you decide to mark words as "unknown" versus "learning." Since it doesn't seem like frequently encountered words naturally transition from "unknown" to "learning" on their own, how/when do you decide to use each category? What has been most helpful to you?

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

That's a good question. I realize it's highly personal, but I mark a word as "learning" if I don't know it yet. One could make a case for the pink words actually being "undispositioned" or "new", rather than "unknown", I suppose. Anyway, I change a word from green to white (known) when I know what it means without clicking/mousing over it. I think some people prefer to leave them green until they are using them comfortably in speech, but not me.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

paan.ji wrote:
It's a very good idea to write down the new words you discover. Just by writing them down you will start to recognise the words when you read. Plus, keeping a dictionary of all your new words will give you the confidence to learn even more words -- especially when you can see how many new words you've already learnt.

The reading tool does this. Just go to the Vocabulary tab. You can also export your vocabulary to use in Anki, for example.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

henry.james wrote:
When encountering a word or phrase that a user does not know, they can mark it as "unknown" to indicate that they are not familiar with it.
Are you talking about re-visiting a passage you have already read? Because new words show up as unknown (peach) when you import/open a new passage, so you wouldn't need to mark those. An alternate way of looking at the states is:

Peach = new

Green = learning

White = known

Posted 
    Feedback