You got or You've got

Posts0Likes0Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

I often hear the phrase 'you got' used at the start of sentences, and always end up changing 'you got' to 'you've got'. I think 'you've' got is grammatically correct. Hearing it often got me wondering if 'you got' is also correct.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I think ”you got” is used for the past and ”you’ve got” for the present.

I stand to be corrected though.

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

Thank you Temitope. I'll take note of that. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Both are correct. "You got" is simple past and "you've got" is in present perfect tense. Like in this sentence... "You got the answer right", which means that your answer to a question is correct, while it could be "You got the answer in number 1 right, but let us see if you've got all the answers correct. " The 2nd sentence means the checking of the paper is not yet finished, so the action is continuing. 

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Rai.S. wrote:

Thank you Temitope. I'll take note of that. :)

You're welcome Rai.:slightly_smiling_face:

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

edz.conde wrote:
Both are correct. "You got" is simple past and "you've got" is in present perfect tense. Like in this sentence... "You got the answer right", which means that your answer to a question is correct, while it could be "You got the answer in number 1 right, but let us see if you've got all the answers correct. " The 2nd sentence means the checking of the paper is not yet finished, so the action is continuing.

Got your point Edz. Thanks a bunch!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rai.S. wrote:

edz.conde wrote:

Got your point Edz. Thanks a bunch!

You're welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edzky-18

Posted 
    Feedback