Greg.Jones's recent posts

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Street fighter, the original movie. Masses of terrible accents, some they didn't even bother to try- Belgian as an American, Australian as a Brit etc.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

The season with John Lithgow was amazing, definitely my favourite one

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Welcome Lily, may I ask why you have a reptile on your head?

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I tried it years ago when it was relatively new and they did the free trial thing, as far as I remember it was just essentially flash cards with not much useful conversational language

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Lot of good stuff based off comics/novels recently, i would recommend the walking dead, Preacher, American gods (only one season so far), Lucifer (now cancelled after 3 seasons which is a tad annoying), and of course Game of thrones. Keep your eye out later in the year for Good Omens.

Stargate has almost 20 series over sg1, Atlantis, and universe, with a few movies to go with them.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Yes it does feel right. I think that has something to do with natural lingual mimicry when you like a language.

This is a very common reason, especially among college or university students studying abroad, they tend to adopt the local accent as they talk within their peer groups. This also affects some people to such a degree subconsciously they start to use another persons speech pattern in normal conversations, it's usually called phonetic accommodation, but there are several names for it.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

when I worked for a British account for some years I began to pronounce certain words differently

I think you mean 'correctly' XD

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

leosmith wrote:

how about when you're talking in a foreign language and you encounter an English word? Or a foreign word from yet another languages?

I think most of them stick out if they aren't pronounced properly, I had a friend talking about a "coop" they had been learning about which confused me until I found out they were talking about a coup d'etat.

I haven't really heard English words in foreign languages unless they're brand names, which sound out of place to me

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

A hell of a lot of English is borrowed words, I suppose I do give accents to some words, but mainly ones with an accented vowel.

Useless information, but LA is actually called "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula"

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

edz.conde wrote:

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

¡Muy bien ahora doscientos!

Very good _ 200! Haha! I'm really enjoying this. (No peeking in google here.... I dont know ahora in English and i'm not sure if doscientos is really 200?)

Ahora is now and yes 200

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

leosmith wrote:

Greg.Jones wrote:

Not really a bug, more cosmetic, but at the end of the box in a post it should close the quotation marks.

I used to think this too, but now I'm not sure what I'd like it to change to. We're sort of going with that single quote symbol, and the box the entire width of the screen. It might look strange with the quote at the end of that big empty box.

Has been bugging the hell out of me XD

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I can give you some very basic French, I haven't used it properly in years though, but if you wanted to know "oú es les chien?" I could tell you "les chiens sont sous la table" but I couldn't tell you how to conjugate or anything useful

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Not really a bug, more cosmetic, but at the end of the box in a post it should close the quotation marks

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Noman.Gul wrote:

ARABIC

I tried learning Arabic when I was in Egypt, but only managed the basics, counting, hello, goodbye, please, and thank you

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

My son is called Isaiah Nathan, which means ”Yahweh Is Salvation, gift from God"

This was not intentional

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

How about Quentin Tarantino's movies?

Most are brilliant if you ignore the bizarre foot fetish scenes he randomly puts in (Juliet Lewis and Salmma Hayek both have one in dusk til dawn, uma Therman in kill bill etc.)

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Gregory comes from Greek and means watchful or alert... And according to wikipedia is a very common name for saints.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Roshane.Brooks wrote:

LOL, well I didn't have a choice of the language. Besides, the only foreign languages that were being taught in high school were French and Spanish but they were just like "Hey, you're advanced and as such you'll be doing two foreign languages. Have fun!"

Anyone in top set French basically got told "you now have to learn German too, in half the time because languages only count as one subject" it was a bit frustrating

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Olga.Cygnel wrote:

English because of Spice girls :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

I don't think "a zig a zig aah" is the best English

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

By the looks of things these errors pop up instead of a 404

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

leosmith wrote:

Greg.Jones wrote:

leosmith wrote:

Has anyone tried to delete or edit one of their posts/topics that is less than 24 hrs old?

Works on new topics and posts in existing ones-

Doesn't actually delete the post itself though, just the comment within https://languagetools.io/forum/t/1994

that link gives me an "oops", but I know what you mean - I created another one here

Looks like the topics do get removed some point after, but shows on the activity feed and forum for a couple of hours (?) Not certain on how long

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

leosmith wrote:

Has anyone tried to delete or edit one of their posts/topics that is less than 24 hrs old?

Works on new topics and posts in existing ones-

Doesn't actually delete the post itself though, just the comment within https://languagetools.io/forum/t/1994

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Mainly music on the alternative side, rock and metal are great, but the older bands are usually more my taste, I like ska and punk bands too. My favourite though are generally bands I find interesting, ones which cross genres or add an element of comedy to their songs

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I'm from the UK, most schools will teach French as a minimum for 5 years, my school also did German for any of the advanced French classes, and Latin for advanced English language classes.

Other schools in my area offered Spanish, Russian, and Mandarin, but usually students had to specifically request them as a subject.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I'm from the UK and I've been to; France, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Andorra, and Egypt

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

When the stars threw down their spears 

And water'd heaven with their tears: 

Did he smile his work to see? 

Did he who made the Lamb make thee? 

Tyger Tyger burning bright, 

In the forests of the night: 

What immortal hand or eye, 

Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Excerpt from "The Tyger" by William Blake

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

1. Fenetra

2. Je ne sais pas

And 3. pied

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

Also Shaun of the dead.

Also hot fuzz and the worlds end for the full cornetto trilogy

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Qenya (elvish)... What can I say? I'm a geek

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

James.B wrote:

The Evil Dead series. Horror comedy gold! Although quite old now.

This, a million times, this.

Some of the ones I like are

Deathwatch or Dog Soldiers for horror/war

Braindead or Black Sheep for horror/comedy

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

My mum was a librarian. 'Nuff said

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I hate to suggest him as I think his writing is sometimes awful, but Stephen King has hundreds of stories published, you're bound to find a few you think are good.

Some of his better ones have been turned into films too; for example the Shawshank redemption, and stand by me are based on his short stories, and It is both a film and a TV series now

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I have a few albums by the German group Rammstein, may not be the best example as they do quite heavy industrial music, but most of their stuff sounds angry even when it's about angels

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Think I've seen something similar, but not sure where, attached a screenshot below of the error 

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

It's a bit more crowded on mobile, but could do with a bit of a wrap on the topic, or possibly putting the topic first

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

You should see if you can find episodes of most haunted https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0362355/ for a lot of the series' it's about Derek Acorah who gets possessed by scouse ghosts almost on a weekly basis, until they have to replace him because on his tours he uses actors and shills to pretend he can talk with the dead (he made mistakes like using the exact same script for all his shows)

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I'll give you 5 words to use to start a phrase they are time related maybe by the end of the week we can review them all and make mix and match sentences 

Hoy=today

Ayer=yesterday

Mañana=tomorrow (also morning)

Siempre=always

Nunca=never

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

On phone the preview just appears below the reply, so swiping up gets you back in place. 

Haven't checked on a computer yet

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Replying seems to work for me, it just appears at the bottom of the thread. If you want to be specific about what you're replying to, you could always use the quote option

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Heh, I haven't used it in years, I could tell you how to ask basic questions, the weather, and stuff like that, but I would probably point at Aaron https://languagetools.io/profile/131 if you wanted to learn more useful things

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Welcome

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

But not all was peaceful between the lonely monster and the tiny village...

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

sabrina.torres wrote:

Canada : poutine!!

Isn't that pretty much chips and gravy?

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I've been out in the country far too long so I miss KFC, it's not even good, but that gravy...

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

In a dank, dark cave over the hill from a small village...

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I converted to kindle a few years back, you can get e-readers apps on your phone now too. But I read sci-fi and fantasy mainly, I would reccomend Terry Pratchett as they're pretty mainstream fantasy or Tom Holt for a bit more surreal writing.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Having worked in a call centre for years, as far as I can tell the hardest English place name to pronounce is loughborough

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Seems to delete the last word of a post now?

Android version 5.5.1 

Also won't let you put the cursor in the proper place to edit 

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Testing to see if the backspace thing isis fixed, apparently not, butbut not quite as bad. It seems to be when you delete an entire 

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

https://languagetools.io/forum/pp/2958

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

on the desktop site it shows in the top right, turns yellow when you have any new notifications

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Bonjour, le français est très difficile a retenir parce que je ne l'ai pas parlé depuis des annees, mais j'apprends maintenant l'espagnol

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Ooh, on a computer it does allow me to remove the attached images and fiddle about slightly more, but now i have a blank post i can't remove

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Not certain if this will work well for people learning English as a language, but i used to work as a training manager for a customer service company, when people had issues with being heard clearly over the phones i would get them to practice over enunciating syllables in a mirror and get them to watch themselves.

I was trying to find an image to go with this, but then i found an even better explanation - https://www.wikihow.com/Enunciate

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

That is really interesting Noman , would you understand Hindi then my friends speaks Hindi

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Don't know exactly, but it appears to be something to do with the position of the cursor too, when deleting a word the cursor seems to jumjumpjumjump and when the word is typed and space bar is pressed it will duplicate the 

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Not sure what is affecting it as it's only showing on some posts, but attached is an example.

Some details given under the usernames are up to date, but not always

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Hi, thought I should put a little something on here as I haven't done so yet.

Hi, I'm Greg, native English but I have a smattering of French and German. I'm currently trying to learn Spanish.

I learn mainly by repetition and lots of corrections, practicing the words that I know by trying to put them together in sentences and working on the actual grammar separately. 

I have an interest in words themselves as we adopt them from other languages and adapt them for our own purpose, but even words that change over time e.g. terrifiterrific has the same root as terrifying, but mean the opposite in modern usage.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Trying out the site on the phone and I posted up the wrong file, went in to edit the post and it wouldn't allow me to remove the picture, only add another.

Could we get somesome way to remove postsposts? Not sure if I could edit it properly on a computer

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Yes there ate chat rooms but only if everyone is in the same room 

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Because both dutch and English actually share a common ancestral language there are many similarities, so here's a handful we took from them later on in development;

Coleslaw -from the Dutch word meaning cabbage salad.

Boss -from “baas,” which means master.

Stove -from the Dutch word for heated room.

Booze -from a Dutch word “busen,” meaning to drink in excess.

Cruise -from “kruisen,” meaning to cross.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Learning other languages has to start somewhere, so in following a few of the other posts here's how we say please thank you in 10 foreign languages;

1. Spanish

Please: Por favor

Thank you: Gracias

2. French

Please: S’il vous/te plaît (formal/informal)

Thank you: Merci

3. German

Please: Bitte

Thank you: Danke

4. Italian

Please: Per favore

Thank you: Grazie

5. Portuguese

Please: Por favor

Thank you: Obrigado/a

6. Chinese

Please: Qǐng

Thank you: Xièxie nǐ

7. Arabic

Please: Min fádlak (to a man), Min fádlik (to a woman)

Thank you: Shukran

8. Russian

Please: Pazhalsta

Thank you: Spaseeba

9. Japanese

Please: Onegaishimasu

Thank you: Arigatou

10. Swedish

Please: Tack

Thank you: Tack (yes, really)

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I would recommend peppa pig, as it's much closer to my level of understanding 

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I learned basic French and German in schschool so can get by with shop requests and directions, my reading is much better than my speaking though as contextual clues are much easier to pick up on.

I'm currently trying to learn Spanish but mainly speak like a baby and find it quite a bit harder as a lot has very different root, also it doesn't help when I'm trying to think of something in Spanish but my brain only provides French words because they sound like they should fit.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Many English words have their roots from other tongues, or are even directly taken and used, below are a few examples sorted by language of origin, there are thousands of words taken, but i will give you a handful to start;

The most common language for English to be adapted from is french, this is partially due to french being the language of the nobles in England around the 11th century and continued for around 400 years. Most are very similar in spelling if not pronunciation. 

A few examples;

Etiquette (from the french for "little cards") was taken from Versailles where 'little cards' were used by courtiers to keep record of the rules they needed to follow while in court.

Coupons (literally "piece cut off") 

Faux-Pas (false step)

To queue (from the french for "tail") is a very common English past-time

Parachute (almost exactly "protection against a fall")

Sabotage (comes from the french "sabot" which was a french shoe)

Maneuver (literally "to operate with the hand")

Another main language that helped form English as a whole was Proto-Germanic, the precursor to more modern German as olden English comes from a Germanic root;

Delikatessen (proper name for a deli)

Fest (feast, celebration, party)

Hinterland (backwoods)

Kaput (not working, broken)

Poltergeist (ghost)

Wanderlust (pleasure, desire, wanting)

Rucksack (knapsack)

Nosh (small amount of food, or to eat a small amount of food)

As i said, these are just a few words from 2 of the closest languages to English, but on the whole we take words from dozens of other languages including, but not limited to, Latin, French, German, Greek, Dutch, Norse, and Arabic

A little bonus- "Dog"

We aren't certain where this form comes from originally as we have the Latin derivative in our language (canine) and the German (hound) too, as far as people can tell it appeared in middle English as "Docga"

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I'm using a laptop, it may be a bug on phones

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I generally try to learn the basics of any country i visit, the hellos and goodbyes, please and thank you, numbers, and useful phrases.

The parts i love the most in learning anything new is finding the shared heritage of a language itself, within English we have a lot of Greek, Latin, Germanic, and Scandinavian roots, which i find help with a lot of other European languages, for example Latin is the base of all the romantic languages, so having a basic knowledge of it will help when learning dozens of others

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Just thought i would recommend a basic language tool available as a learn through play style:

I use Influent which is a decent source of everyday home related vocabulary, it won't help you much with conversational language, but it has a multitude of language packs which you can get usually starting on sale at £4.99 through steam or as a multipack of all languages currently

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274980/Influent/

Cheap and immersive if you can't visit the country, it will give you written and spoken pronunciation and there are a variety of mini games you can use to test yourself of words already learned

Edited
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Sometimes when a new user enters a chat their messages appear without a username, after refreshing the page it will show all previous messages with the right names

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

not sure about formal/informal but here's how to say goodbye in those languages-

1 French-

"Adieu" 

or "Au revoir"

2 Spanish

"Adiós"

or "Ciao"

3 Russian

"Do svidaniya" 

or "Poka"

4 Chinese

"zài jiàn."

5 Italian

"Addio"

or "Ciao"

6 Japanese

"sayonara"

8. Portuguese

"Adeus"

9. Korean

"annyeonghi gaseyo"

10. Arabic

"maʿ al-salāmah"

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I'm not seeing double posts from you, it may just be showing your end?

Posted
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

No room created after chat request accepted, an alert popped up but when i clicked accept it didn't create a chat page

Posted
Feedback