What country do you live in and if any, what languages are spoken there and/or taught in school?

Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationKingston / JM
Native
English
Other Spanish

What country do you live in and what languages are spoken there and/or taught in school?

I live in Jamaica. Our native language is English; creole/patois is considered our dialect. In many schools, as early as Kindergarten kids are taught Spanish up until High School. I began learning Spanish in High School and had to do it for 4 years because I was "advanced". I also had to study French for two years in high school for the same reason.

How about you?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Hi! I came from the Philippines. Our native language is Filipino (referred by others as Tagalog but the correct one is actually Filipino). We have a hundred more dialects in our country, but I speak the Bicol dialect from my hometown. The English language is introduced to us as early as toddlers that's why there are many Filipinos who are very fluent (diction and pronunciation) in English. Other Asian countries preferred hiring Filipinos as their tutors in English because they could be easily understood. 

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

I live in the United States. The native language is English. In schools we have a wide variety of languages to choose from - Spanish, French, American Sign Language, German, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Arabic, Korean, Russian etc... 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I'm from the UK, most schools will teach French as a minimum for 5 years, my school also did German for any of the advanced French classes, and Latin for advanced English language classes.

Other schools in my area offered Spanish, Russian, and Mandarin, but usually students had to specifically request them as a subject.

Posted 
Native
English
Other Spanish

edz.conde wrote:
Hi! I came from the Philippines. Our native language is Filipino (referred by others as Tagalog but the correct one is actually Filipino). We have a hundred more dialects in our country, but I speak the Bicol dialect from my hometown. The English language is introduced to us as early as toddlers that's why there are many Filipinos who are very fluent (diction and pronunciation) in English. Other Asian countries preferred hiring Filipinos as their tutors in English because they could be easily understood.
That's cool. So do different places in the Philippines have a different dialect?

Posted 
Native
English
Other Spanish

Greg.Jones wrote:
I'm from the UK, most schools will teach French as a minimum for 5 years, my school also did German for any of the advanced French classes, and Latin for advanced English language classes.
Other schools in my area offered Spanish, Russian, and Mandarin, but usually students had to specifically request them as a subject.
LOL, well I didn't have a choice of the language. Besides, the only foreign languages that were being taught in high school were French and Spanish but they were just like "Hey, you're advanced and as such you'll be doing two foreign languages. Have fun!"

Posted 
Native
English
Other Spanish

Khadijah.Davis wrote:
I live in the United States. The native language is English. In schools we have a wide variety of languages to choose from - Spanish, French, American Sign Language, German, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Arabic, Korean, Russian etc...
Wish I had that many options back in high school. What languages did you study?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

Roshane.Brooks wrote:

LOL, well I didn't have a choice of the language. Besides, the only foreign languages that were being taught in high school were French and Spanish but they were just like "Hey, you're advanced and as such you'll be doing two foreign languages. Have fun!"

Anyone in top set French basically got told "you now have to learn German too, in half the time because languages only count as one subject" it was a bit frustrating

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Roshane.Brooks wrote:
That's cool. So do different places in the Philippines have a different dialect?

We have more than 100. :) English is a required subject from grade school to college. Teachers use English textbooks for math and science too but the language used to teach is usually mixed -- English and/or the region's dialect.

--

ikay

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

[/quote]

Yupz!... We have more than 100 that is why when you go to different places here, you will hear them talk in their dialect, though our universal language is Filipino (Tagalog). :)

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
English
Other Spanish

[quote name="edz.conde"]
[/quote]

Yupz!... We have more than 100 that is why when you go to different places here, you will hear them talk in their dialect, though our universal language is Filipino (Tagalog). :)
[/quote] LOL, weird question. Do you know Bretman Rock? He's Filipino but he lives in Hawaii, I don't get it. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Roshane.Brooks wrote:

Khadijah.Davis wrote:

Wish I had that many options back in high school. What languages did you study?

Only Spanish at the time I was more into Art and Science lol

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

wrote:
LOL, weird question. Do you know Bretman Rock? He's Filipino but he lives in Hawaii, I don't get it.

LOL, That's really a weird one. 

Do you mean to say that you don't get it why he is Filipino but he's residing in Hawaii? Maybe he has a very personal reason? Or maybe he has the same reason with the many Chinese and American people living here in our country despite not being a Filipino? 

Actually I just know him a while ago after searching the net. He is indeed a Filipino and resides in Hawaii since 7 years old. The reason of his staying there is not given, but is he so important that we should know the reason why? heheh

Edzky-18

Edited 
Native
English
Other Spanish

edz.conde wrote:
wrote:
LOL, weird question. Do you know Bretman Rock? He's Filipino but he lives in Hawaii, I don't get it.

LOL, That's really a weird one.
Do you mean to say that you don't get it why he is Filipino but he's residing in Hawaii? Maybe he has a very personal reason? Or maybe he has the same reason with the many Chinese and American people living here in our country despite not being a Filipino?
Actually I just know him a while ago after searching the net. He is indeed a Filipino and resides in Hawaii since 7 years old. The reason of his staying there is not given, but is he so important that we should know the reason why? heheh

HAHA, I'm sorry I don't mean he's so important but it was just a thought. I actually didn't know he was Filipino until yesterday.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Haha... Ok Roshane, clarifications are taken already. Haha, at least I have known a "kababayan" who is famous online. 

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/7/2018LocationSanto Domingo / DO
Native
Spanish
Learning Creole - Haitian
Other English, French

Dominican Republic, spanish is the official language and the one taught in public schools (there are 2 and 3 languages private schools) but I think they are just about to add english clases.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018Location
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other English, German

Ukraine, ukrainian is the official, foreign languages: english, german, polish, russian.

I can help with Russian and Ukrainian languages

Posted 
    Feedback