Kaila.S's recent posts

Posts0Likes0Joined7/10/2018LocationCleveland / US
Native
English
Other French

I really dislike Duolingo for French because they don't really teach you what you're using and why, especially for verbs. If you're able to take lessons with someone whether online or in-person, do it. Like leosmith said, this website as helpful tools! 

I studied French for five years and I know I was only able to learn because of learning from someone else with vigorous repetition and practice. 

Posted

Kaila 

Native
English
Other French

Yes, I completely understand! We just have "the" and "a" in English for everything, not a masculine or feminine for things!

Posted

Kaila 

Native
English
Other French

Personally, verb tenses always trip me up. Not so much present or past tense, but once it gets to be like... future tense and things like that, I get frustrated! I'm not sure if other languages have these, but I purchased a 501 French verb book to try to help me... It helped when writing, but not so much with speaking! 

What about you guys?

Posted

Kaila 

Native
English
Other French

I would at least try to learn basics. Asking where something is, greetings, etc. I'd also have Google Translate to help, although sometimes it isn't reliable! I've heard a lot about how people in other countries appreciate if you at least try to speak their native language! 

Posted

Kaila 

Native
English
Other French

Hey, guys! Learning from an instructor is a great way to learn a language. I found that some supplement things are good too. Music really helped me. You can listen to how things are pronounced and you can translate the things you know and fill in the gaps! I also like watching movies in the language I'm learning with English (or whatever native language) subtitles on. It also helps with pronunciation! 

If you're learning French, one of my favorite artists is Stromae. One of my favorite movies is Joyeux Noel (although this is also in English and German). 

What ways help you learn a new language? 

Posted

Kaila 

Native
English
Other French

Comme ci, comme ça, et toi? 

I started learning when I was in 8th grade, and took the class until I graduated high school! 

Posted

Kaila 

Native
English
Other French

Hello, all! My name is Kaila. I came to this website to try to use and sharpen my French skills. I studied French for 5 years, but once I got to college my schedule didn’t allow for it. 

Merci et bonne journée! 

Posted

Kaila 

Feedback