What was the toughest part about learning a new language for you?

Posts0Likes0Joined7/10/2018LocationCleveland / US
Native
English
Other French

Personally, verb tenses always trip me up. Not so much present or past tense, but once it gets to be like... future tense and things like that, I get frustrated! I'm not sure if other languages have these, but I purchased a 501 French verb book to try to help me... It helped when writing, but not so much with speaking! 

What about you guys?

Kaila 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Ditto. For me, it's a bit hard to grasp too many tenses. For example, why does French have plus que parfait? The whole concept of it is very mind-boggling for me. For me, languages with complex grammar tend to trip me up a lot more than languages that present other challenges, e.g. script.

I also tend to be terrible with conversation, although it is not particularly specific to French. I just tend not to talk a lot in pretty much every single language I know. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

It depends on what you mean by "tough". If you mean time consuming, listening is the toughest for me. If you mean intense, the first few hours of conversation is the toughest.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

For me it's listening and speaking. Learning the grammar and vocab can be tough I have to admit, but using what you know is a whole different beast in my opinion. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

Listening to me has always been toughest, I guess I am more visual. Grammar has always been interesting to me, until you use it. Regarding what was/is most time consuming for me when learning a new language, it's applying all that I know into speaking and constructing sentences. The concept itself of time consuming always frightened me, so I never even try to speak until I am sure I can actually have a conversation. But listening has always been toughest, especially with French when native speakers speak very fast. The French grammar is really complicated, but once you master it, I love it. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

The toughest parts for me is when there are rules or concepts that don't exist in mine. Like the wide use of gender in French. That was just confusing for me because I can't anchor or associate it with anything from my native language.

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined7/10/2018LocationCleveland / US
Native
English
Other French

Yes, I completely understand! We just have "the" and "a" in English for everything, not a masculine or feminine for things!

Kaila 

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Kaila.S wrote:

Personally, verb tenses always trip me up. Not so much present or past tense, but once it gets to be like... future tense and things like that, I get frustrated! I'm not sure if other languages have these, but I purchased a 501 French verb book to try to help me... It helped when writing, but not so much with speaking!

What about you guys?

Same!

-Ari-

Posted 
    Feedback