Peter.Jensen's recent posts

Posts18Likes12Joined16/10/2019LocationUS
Native
Danish, English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, German, Macedonian, Norwegian, Spanish

After about 7-8 days of continuous work I suddenly lose my streak. That has happened twice. Would like that fixed :)
Peace!

Posted
Native
Danish, English
Native
Danish, English

Bug/Issue: After I click on a word while reading and following along with the audio, I lose the ability to scroll down in the text. And the text gets kinda locked in place, so I can no longer follow along with the audio. What happened? This isn't usually an issue. Would like this bug fixed :)

Peace!

Posted
Native
Danish, English

Hey Leo, How is that exactly going to work, when the new site gets up and running? Will our users still be working when the site changes name, and what about our stats and private materials? :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

Cool, I get it now! :) I just had to try it out for a bit.

Posted
Native
Danish, English

I really dont like this new update to the site. I can no longer make my own translations to the new words that I encounter. I would very much appreciate that feature to be reinstated. Thx! :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

Yes for example the word “ trouvé “

:)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

Hey!

I have found a bug in regards to duplicated vocabulary.

I have noticed that I have a lot of duplicated words on my french vocabulary list. Very often I encounter a word that I already know as unknown in orange. And then I have to reregister it, which totally skews my total words known and my ability to notice my progression. 

Is there a way to fix these duplicated words that I encounter and from my vocabulary? thx :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

My statistical information won't update in regards to the listening minutes and known words etc. Its been like this for the past few days.

Peace!

Posted
Native
Danish, English

That is awesome! I totally agree! Failure is good! that is a sign of progression. Not making mistakes is a failure. That just mean that a person will never learn the thing. And also as toddlers we failed thousands of times before we learned how to walk. Failure is success in disguise! :) And also research show that correcting "mistakes" dosent facilitate learning and is redundant and wont stick. But enough exposure to the correct way of saying the expression is how our brain naturally picks up on the mistakes and over time the "mistakes" ratio will be substantially reduced, effortlessly.

Posted
Native
Danish, English

Speaking is not learning! yes it is practice in using the language, but that is not how you learn a language. Speaking is a result of having acquired the language. Speaking isolated is evidently not possible. Speaking has to come from something. Speaking is the reward of acquisition through listening and reading. That is just facts. And also research show that correcting speaking or grammar is redundant, nothing will ever come from that. However the corrections will automatically come, when your brain begin to pickup on them subconsciously through huge amounts of listening and reading. Peace!

Posted
Native
Danish, English

I dissagree. The pretext is wrong. The art of speaking is a direct consequence of comprehensible input. I remember when i started learning english as my second language, I didn't speak the language for about 2 years. The reason being I wasn't familiar enough with the language at that point. It took about 2 years of a lot of exposure to the language before I could make sense of the language. But after this point it took off, I could do so much in the language could understand EVERYTHING, and could express myself freely. The act of speeking is a direct result of a massive amount of exposure. But yes if you do find yourself in a situation with native speakers around and you've already been getting a lot of exposure, that might be a good opportunity to speak. But not as a general rule. I speak when I am ready and NOT from the get go. :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

I dissagree, you will learn the pronounciation through exposure to words in context, through listening and reading. Get used to the words how they are pronounced and your brain will automatically make sense of it all. Much more powerful. :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

No I dont use it. The only thing this will help with is remembering stuff, and I dont want that. I don't want to just remember words and sentences I want to ACQUIRE the words and sentences, so that they become a part of me and my subconsciousness. And I've found that this only happens when I expose myself to active story listening and reading over an continuous daily basis. And over time I will have accumulated an enormous amount of exposure to the words and sentences which now has been acquired to my subconsciousness. This is my way of using "SRS". And also if the words and sentences are importent enough they will appear often, so no need to force remember stuff. Let it come naturally :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

personally, I study for a couple of hours each day. But I would highly recommend doing at least 30 minutes of active language learning such as reading or listening every day and be consistent with it. :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

I would find short and easily comprehensible short stories on youtube etc, and I would listen/watch or read a couple of those each day, and overtime go back and revise the older ones and then on to the new ones. just doing something language acquisition related everyday is the most important thing, don't skip. :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

I personally don't find this particularly effective. if your just learning a couple of words a day, then acquiring the language will take forever to acquire. Instead I would be jumping straight into the language and start listening to short comprehensible stories and understand the context, and the words will come effortlessly over time. Acquire words through context and massive amount of exposure to comprehensible stories. :)

Posted
Native
Danish, English

I don't think any of them is effective methods of obtaining vocabulary. Stories that are very comprehensible, is the absolute best way. This way you will acquire the words in context. if the words are important enough in the target language you will run into them all the time, and you will naturally acquire them by exposure and comprehension. Its a process of forgetting and learning and forgetting and learning, that will solidify your understanding of the words. The words will come naturally. :)

Posted
Feedback