20 of the World's Most Beautiful Untranslatable Words

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Just would like to share this with you guys. Included in this article is our native word "kilig". Maybe some of your native words are also there. :)

20 of the World's Most Beautiful Untranslatable Words

edit - fixed link

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts1641Likes1094Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

This dictionary gives an ok definition ok kilig.

kilíg: [noun] shudder; tremble; shiver.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:
This dictionary gives an ok definition ok kilig.
kilíg: [noun] shudder; tremble; shiver.

I think the author of the blog that i posted is referring to native words with no direct translations (one word) in English...I also don't know why that tagalog-english dictionary site is referring to "kilig" as stand alone words "shudder/tremble/shiver". It could actually mean "shudder/tremble/shiver in excitement or happiness". The stand alone english translations given by the dictionary site could actually elicit negative emotions like fear, which is the exact opposite of the true meaning of "kilig"

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

In Swedish - Mångata

This beautiful Swedish word refers to the road-like reflection of the moon on the water. It's the long, wavy shape that appears across the water when the moon is shining on it. It is made up of the prefixes "Måne" meaning moon, and "gata" meaning street/road. For this reason, it is sometimes indirectly translated as "moon-path," "moon-river," "moon-track," or "moon-wake."

There is another Swedish word that we use. The word is "Lagom", which can be translated as "just the right amount".

If I ask you - how much coffee do you want? You can answer "lagom" :) 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Scots use the word tartle for the minute you panic introducing someone whose name you have forgotten. 

Posted 
Native
English

I'm sure there are tonnes of weather related words I can't remember but here is one zhaghzhagh Persian word for teeth chattering in the cold 

Edited 
Native
English

Oh and here they say come-moscas to describe someone who talks a lit but says little of any value 

Posted 
    Feedback