Second Language

Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish

Is there someone here who suddenly moved to a different country but you know little about their language? How did you deal with it? What are the practices that you do to learn it fast? Or did you learn right away? 

Ericka

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I moved to Tanzania in 1999. I was in a big group though, and we studied Swahili for 3 months together as soon as we got there. I lived there for 3 years.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish

This is actually one of my biggest fears. Like, what if I suddenly need to move to a different country which language is new to me. How will I cope up? I don't know why I overthink like this.

Ericka

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I moved to Spain 4 years ago with barely more than my numbers, a few greetings and useful tourist phrases , my children had their colors numbers shapes and alphabet as well as I am I want I need and a few classroom activity adjectives, they are completely fluent and in fact have more Spanish than English now

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationManila / PH
Native
English
Learning Spanish

I worked in Japan for 4 years. People have limited English skills there and my Japanese is zero. I had to study basic Japanese and really listen to people's conversations to pick words. I also joined communities of foreign people in Japan. They helped out in my language learning and also living in Japan. Actually now that I mentioned this, I miss living there. :)

Faye

Posted 
    Feedback