Do you speak in another language when you are angry/ or in an argument?

Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationManila / PH
Native
English
Learning Spanish

This is an interesting thing with my mom. She usually uses Tagalog and Visayan but she switches to English when she is angry with us or when she's quarreling with my dad. I've observed that my maternal grandmother is also like her and some of her siblings too.

Aside from that, I've observed that some people switches to their native language and dialect when their anger or emotions are really intense. 

Is anyone here like this or do you know anyone who also does this?

Would like to hear your thoughts.  

Faye

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

I've never experienced that myself, but my ex-husband turned to spanish when he was angry (a big collection of dirty words!). I also have a friend who got married and moved to the USA 20 years ago. She told me that her workmates mock her accent change when she's upset. Even within Portuguese itself, I have friends from other cities whose accent change when they visit their families, or speak on the phone with their mothers. Interesting that it's more associated with women... I've learned somewhere that the mother is more linked to language learning than the father (same for religion).

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I did drop the f-bomb in Spanish a couple of weeks back very naturally when something went wrong!

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I think it's pretty common for people to switch to their native language. I'm surprised to hear some switch to English, lol.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I heard that is how you tell you have acclimatized to a new country. If you make the noises, ayyy instead of argh for example haha... I am not quite there yet, but my children both sleep talk in Spanish and the other day I apologized to my English husband in English but I said ''sorry love I didn't take count'' instead of sorry I didn't notice which was a literal English translation of 'no me da cuenta' which I must have thought of first!?!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

I have experienced that myself, switching to English when angry or upset. It is hard to explain things in your native language when you can't find the right words to use. So yeah, I have observed that more of my fellow citizens rant on social media using the English Language. 

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
I did drop the f-bomb in Spanish a couple of weeks back very naturally when something went wrong!
I love the Spanish f-bomb! It's wisdom!

Posted 
    Feedback