Some people say that if you can teach something about your target language, then it you to understand it better. Do you agree?

Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

I agree to this one because language is really part of culture and society. When you explain things, you expand and apply your knowledge and reasoning. So if you do that while learning a language, it gives you an advantage. 

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Yes, absolutely. I am writing a book on Tagalog grammar now, and it has helped me a lot. To be honest though, I can't say for sure if it works better than spending the same amount of time doing "normal" studies.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

leosmith wrote:
Yes, absolutely. I am writing a book on Tagalog grammar now, and it has helped me a lot. To be honest though, I can't say for sure if it works better than spending the same amount of time doing "normal" studies.

That's amazing. I wonder what made you start your Tagalog studies. 

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

july.lullalove wrote:
leosmith wrote:

That's amazing. I wonder what made you start your Tagalog studies.

I like the Philippines.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Totally! When you have to teach something, you have to stop and think about the best way to communicate it, you organize the information, consider possible difficulties on the student part, study the issue deeply, and eventually learn something new about what you believed to know thoroughly.

Posted 
    Feedback