Fixed - Reading - phrases

Posts0Likes0Joined7/8/2018LocationES
Native
English
Learning Spanish

I can create phrases on my PC but not on my phone - which is so cool as the phrases function is soooo helpful :)

However the phrases do not appear in my vocabulary list or once created even within the passage itself.

Not sure if I'm creating phrases incorrectly or it's not working properly yet?

Learning Spanish very slowly :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/8/2018Location

Is there a phrases function? Or at least a way to show that two or three words go together for a different meaning?

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

You appear to be able to select more than one word (at least on the PC) and look-up a phrase, you can then add a dictionary translation for a phrase. It then appears on the passage underlined.

BUT once I exit the passage it disappears :(

And it does not show on my vocabulary list.

I suspect it's still being worked on but will be great if it's ever implemented... fingers crossed.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

My apologies for not making a video about phrases yet. If you click and drag across several words, they will all become boxed, and you will get a definition for that "phrase". If you want to keep it, you need to select "used" in the definition box, and it will become underlined in that passage only. We don't make it pop up in new passages by design, mainly because I thought it looked bad, and I usually only want to glance at a phrase once. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

I think it would be better if phrases were treated exactly the same as words. Kept, highlighted etc.

I see "a veces" as one word and I'd like to store it that way.

Or do you want to treat them differently?

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

We can't treat them exactly like words because there are differences. Imo the peach state and white state don't make sense with phrases, and highlighting isn't a good idea because they overlap with words. When you toggle them to "used", they are underlined and you can see them; this is something like the green state (learning) for words. 

With that in mind, please let me know if this is what you want:

"used" phrases show up underlined in all your passages and as learning in your vocabulary list.

Un-"used" phrases don't show up in your passages but are known in your vocabulary list.

Phrases of other users won't show up in your passages, or in shared passages. 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

Yes I think that's what I want, sounds correct.

You ought to look at LinQ ;)....they deal with phrases very well.

Although it does get clogged up with hundreds of rubbish user translations.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

ticket written

Bex wrote:
You ought to look at LinQ ;)....they deal with phrases very well.Although it does get clogged up with hundreds of rubbish user translations.

I don't like how they do shading overlap. We have user translations too, but you have the option of hiding them.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

Phrases are tricky because really I'd like to see "real" phrases like 'a veces' or 'na guará', which would be shown in a dictionary...

but I don't really want to see every random group of words someone might have selected to learn.

I think that the 'used' phrases being underlined is a good compromise and not showing other users phrases is a good solution. It should work well.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

leosmith wrote:
If you click and drag across several words, they will all become boxed, and you will get a definition for that "phrase". If you want to keep it, you need to select "used" in the definition box, and it will become underlined in that passage only.

Should this add the phrase to my "learning" vocabulary list? 

Because it doesn't, I can't seem to get any phrases to show in my vocabulary list at all - not in "learning", "known" or anywhere else.

is anyone else having this problem?

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

This ticket is still in work. The solution is in post #6. I will ask you to check it when we're done.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

Oops sorry...my bad ;)

I will be more patient :)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Hi Bex, 

We have phrases now; please lest us know what you think.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

So cool, I was impatiently waiting for this :)

It works nicely on my PC but it does not work on my phone because I can't highlight the phrase.

The vocabulary list for 'Words' is in alphabetical order but 'Phrases' are in the order you add them.....it may be better to have them both in alphabetical order??

ETA: I did notice a navigation issue whilst testing this but I'll start a new thread for it.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

Hi Bex - can you confirm that these 2 items are ok now?

Bex wrote:
It works nicely on my PC but it does not work on my phone because I can't highlight the phrase.
Long press on phones should highlight them now.

wrote:
The vocabulary list for 'Words' is in alphabetical order but 'Phrases' are in the order you add them
This should also be fixed.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

Vocabulary list in alphabetical order is really helpful, I can instantly see duplicates and compare similar phrases. Brilliant thanks.

Unfortunately I can't get the phrases function to work easily on my mobile. There are a couple of issues:

It is randomly selecting (as phrases) huge paragraphs of 10 or 20 words as I scroll down the page. This is mainly a space issue due to a mobiles small screen size; I am accidentally tapping a word whilst scrolling and then another further along. Which is then highlighted as a phrase.

Secondly, to get the phrases function to work I have to select the first word of the phrase and then long press the last word of the phrase. When I stop the long press on the second word the phrase it formed.

Because the phrase isn't formed until you remove your finger, you have no way of knowing if it worked until you remove your finger. It feels a bit odd and clunky.

It would be better if the phrase was shown before you lift off from the long press. Does that make sense?

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

passed this along...

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Hi Bex - can you check this now?

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish

Much better, more intuitive and much easier to use on my mobile. 

I had no problems scrolling through passages or selecting and unselecting phrases.

Much easier to see when the phrase is selected now that it appears whilst you are pressing on the final word.

My test phrases showed up in my vocabulary list. So it all looks very good.

Very nice, excellent improvements for the mobile version. Thank you.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

thanks!

Posted 
    Feedback