British vs American English

Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Here's a video on some differences between British vs. American English...

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

This is very informative. Thanks for sharing!... Though I wonder why it is called 1st floor in British instead of 2nd floor. Do you have any idea? 

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

It should be first floor right? ground floor, then 1st floor. Am I correct?Can someone please enlightened me. lol

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Imo, sometimes the ground floor isn't the first floor, depending on the building. For example, I often stay in a condo in Thailand. The first 2 floors are for parking, and they are above ground; there are no basement or underground floors. So the inside of the building really starts on the 3rd floor, and they call that the ground floor (there is a G beside the 3 button in the elevator). Confusing.  

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/7/2018LocationPhiladelphia / US
Native
English
Learning Japanese

Michelle.Batan wrote:
It should be first floor right? ground floor, then 1st floor. Am I correct?Can someone please enlightened me. lol

This varies regionally. Where I live, the ground floor and the first floor are the same thing, but in other places, it is as you say :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Where I'm from, there's a curious mix of British and American terms in infrastructure. Our buildings have a Ground Floor and the first level up is the second floor. But the building plans will indicate water closets instead of toilets or rest rooms. Major roads are called highways or expressways, not motorways, but the means to access them are called flyovers instead of on-ramps or off-ramps. We use elevators, not lifts. We have both car parks *and* parking lots. We almost habitually ignore pedestrian crossings, and never refer to them as crosswalks. We go to movie theaters to watch movies but the theaters are labelled Cinema 1, Cinema 2, and so on. I imagine it can be such a challenge. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Where I'm from, there's a curious mix of British and American terms in infrastructure. Our buildings have a Ground Floor and the first level up is the second floor. But the building plans will indicate water closets instead of toilets or rest rooms. Major roads are called highways or expressways, not motorways, but the means to access them are called flyovers instead of on-ramps or off-ramps. We use elevators, not lifts. We have both car parks *and* parking lots. We almost habitually ignore pedestrian crossings, and never refer to them as crosswalks. We go to movie theaters to watch movies but the theaters are labelled Cinema 1, Cinema 2, and so on. I imagine it can be such a challenge. :)
Interesting! Thanks for posting this! I would love to visit there sometime soon. My best friend is from the Philippines. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Khadijah.Davis wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Interesting! Thanks for posting this! I would love to visit there sometime soon. My best friend is from the Philippines. :)

We would be happy to have you here. ^__^

Posted 
    Feedback