What is your favorite idiom or slang word in your language?

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

What is your favorite idiom or slang word in your language that everyone should know if they have plan to visit your country?

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

We have "Lodi". It is the perfect Filipino slang word for a person you idolize. Reading lodi backwards will give you idol.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

We also have one of my favorites, "Charot". It is so popular, that if there were a list of the most used Tagalog slang words, this one would be at the top. lol :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: Use this hip word when you are joking around; it means, "I'm just kidding!"

So, the next time you say something and others take you seriously, say "charot!". (however, you will look like a gay as this slang word is commonly used by girls and gays lol)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Mine would be:

- "pana": a really cool acquaintance or friend, it's neutral so I can use it with women or men. I can also use it as an informal way to communicate with a total stranger. Examples: "she is pana" or "heyyyyy panita, how can I get to X coffee shop?" 

- "chama" or "chamo": these ones are actually slangs "caraqueños". A "chamo" is a young boy, teenager or even a young adult. Same goes with the feminine. Examples: "Hi chama, how are you?" or "No chamo, I can't go out today"

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Mine is Qué Sopa? Which is backwards for Qué pasó? And it means what's up?

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined7/10/2018LocationLaguna / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Spanish

'Kwan/kuwan' is a Filipino word which we use to substitute to something that we couldn't quite explain. Even explaining the term to non-native speakers is hard.

Posted 
    Feedback