maebrizuela's recent posts

Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationManila / PH
Other English, Japanese, Korean

Rose.Angelie wrote:
I've been re-watching How I Met Your Mother for years now. (I thinkI have memorized some of their lines. Haha)
For newer series, I'm following Modern Family.

How I Met Your Mother! Aww.. I don't think I'll ever get tired re-watching that show. I just love them all! 

Posted

mismei

Charlyn wrote:
I would like to travel in Switzerland. The surroundings and mountains there are very breathtaking. But I'm not interested to learn it's language. :)

Yass!! It looks like a postcard!

Posted

mismei

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
maebrizuela wrote:
Oh, this is interesting! That's actually the reason why I sometimes hesitate to speak in a foreign language. Also the tone for talking to the elders, or speaking formally and informally. I'm afraid I'm not using the words correctly and it might cause misunderstanding.

More reasons to practice! :o.... If the person you are communicating with knows that you are learning, there shouldn't be a problem :)

Right!  

Posted

mismei

Or koreans juseyo??

Posted

mismei

I think there were too many "Reply" buttons which has the same functionality. The Reply button below each posts and the Reply button at the end of every thread actually works the same way. It would be nice if the Reply button at the end of every posts can have the same function as the "Quote" button. That way, it would be clear that my reply is actually for that particular comment. It's actually not a big deal but I tend to use the "quote" more because of that. And I only use the general "Reply" button at the end of the thread when I would post a comment in general for that particular thread.

Posted

mismei

Black cat means Bad Luck.

But I love cats!! And I know they don't bring bad luck. I even own a black cat right now named TimTim and I love him dearly  

I hope people would stop hating black cats.

Posted

mismei

It has always been my dream to go to Seoul, Korea! (Right, because of K-wave!!! Don't judge me ) And I finally got a flight for March 2019 and I'm so happy!!! That's why I've been trying to learn the language right now. 

I've been to Japan, Thailand and Taiwan and it's quite hard to be in a foreign country when you don't know their language. I would like to maximize my Korea Tour this time and experience actually talking to Koreans.

I only know how to say "thank you" back then but it felt really good being able to thank the locals in their language. So I guess it would be even better if I can actually converse in their language. Right!? 

Posted

mismei

Ari wrote:
I want to go to Europe. Take a train and visit different countries. I think it takes a long time to learn a language but I would buy a book or a pocket translator to lear the basic words.

That's my goal! Maybe in 2 years time. I've been reading blogs on how to get Schengen Visa  

Posted

mismei

Oghenekevwe wrote:
I found this really interesting and thought to share...
You're fired..." This is most employees worst fear, and the roots can be traced to the early 1900s at National Cash Register. Legend has it founder John Patterson sent an employee out on a business call and when he was gone put his desk outside and set it on fire to signify that he no longer had a job when he returned.

And who would've thought there's a story behind this Thank you! That's interesting!

Posted

mismei

Charlyn wrote:
I don't find Halloween really scary. But it's the programs in the television and the sound effects of it is what makes it scary, particularly in the program of Jessica Soho. :smiley:

And Magandang Gabi Bayan back in the days  

Posted

mismei

TaylorFabio wrote:
I don't remember details because I was extremely young. My family and I were over someones house to swim. I was in like a boat thing with another kid. The boat flipped over and I was too young to swim so I was drowning. It felt like forever until someone realized and jumped in to save me.

Scary!!! I also never learned how to swim because of a drowning incident when I was a child. But I still love being in the waters!! I just always wear a life vest whenever I'm in a boat. I would've loved to learn how to swim and dive but I can't.. I'm too scared to go underwater  

Posted

mismei

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
When I was young, I never needed anyone... heheh.
I wanted to be a scientist and do crazy scientist stuff. I pissed off my dad when I put my street magnets on the dinner table, encrusted with dirt and iron filings. I very unsuccessfully went dowsing. I tried using electricity to bring a gecko back to life. OH, and I got first degree burns from a flash powder mishap after New Year's. Good times!

Scientist!! My favorite show back then was Beakman's World and I used to practice the experiments they do in the show. I remember making a bouncing egg lol. And also a local show in the Philippines hosted by Michael V. I forgot the title but there were also fun experiments and Science trivias. Loved it!  

Posted

mismei

ikaymoreno wrote:
I wanted to be a teacher. When I got older, I realized that I can't provide for my family the way I want to if I try to live on a teacher's salary so I worked in a call center instead and then got promoted as a trainer. These days, I make money as a learning consultant. I'm still in the business of educating people but I sometimes regret that I didn't get to teach the way I originally wanted to.

Yeah, I also wanted to be a teacher. But as they say.. Teaching is not a job. It's a passion. And I probably lacked passion. Hmm.  

Posted

mismei

When I was a child.. I thought it was cool to work in the cinema. I don't know what exactly it's called..But you know that one person in every cinema's entrance?? They'll just sit there and rip your tickets and they get paid. Lol. And yes, I was that lazy even as a child  

But I also dreamt of becoming a scientist. I was also kind of a geek back then :) 

Posted

mismei

edz.conde wrote:
Isa lang naman actually ang problema sa ating mga pinoy, kailangang tanggapin natin na hindi natin pangunahing lenggwahe ang Engles kaya natural na hindi natin to mapiperpekto. Sa puntong eto, walang dapat magmamagaling, walang dapat mangdadown, lalong walang dapat na mapapahiya. Dapat lahat din sa atin tanggap sa sarili natin na may pagkukulang tayo, hindi tayo perpekto. Sana bilang Pilipino din, kahit alam nating may mga ganoon tayong kapwa Pilipino, wag na nating i down ang kapwa natin, isama na lang natin sila sa ating mga panalangin para sila'y
magbago.

totoo! satin kasi naging basehan na ng talino ng tao ang karunungan sa pagsasalita ng English. ang gusto pa eh perfect mo sya. Pag nagkamali ka ng grammar or spelling "bobo" ka na agad. mga pinoy talaga. tsk.

Posted

mismei

Frederick.Dizon wrote:
maebrizuela wrote:
hmm.. really? I've never tried it with mayonnaise.

Try it. But be warned, you might forget your name.

Ohh.. gotta try this then!  

Posted

mismei

Oh, this is interesting! That's actually the reason why I sometimes hesitate to speak in a foreign language. Also the tone for talking to the elders, or speaking formally and informally. I'm afraid I'm not using the words correctly and it might cause misunderstanding. 

Posted

mismei

There's a family event in a Resort and for fun, they had this "contest" of throwing a coin into the pool and whoever gets it wins a prize! I was around 6 or 7 that time and I was at my uncle's back since I don't know how to swim. When the coin was thrown into the water my uncle might have forgotten that I was at his back and he went to dive lol. I nearly drowned! I never learned how to swim and until now I get too afraid when I go underwater. 

Posted

mismei

Frederick.Dizon wrote:
Try salted egg, mayonaise and tomatoes. :grin:

hmm.. really? I've never tried it with mayonnaise. 

Posted

mismei

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Ice cream + burger bun = Filipino Ice Cream Sandwich

yasssss!!!!  

Posted

mismei

the lesson plan also looks fun and interesting. hmmm.. 

Posted

mismei

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Do you think they are a good tool to learn/teach a language? Even when they don't have audio, you can use them to force yourself to write the script, storyline or describe things in the language you are learning.
I found this idea not so long ago and I've not being able to give it a try... What do you think?
http://kierandonaghy.com/seven-best-silent-short-films-language-teaching/

Oh, thanks for the list I'm gonna watch it all! I've watched one silent film.. 3 Iron/ Binjip. I loved it! 

Posted

mismei

leosmith wrote:
stanzheng wrote:
ice cream and fires?

Fries = french fries

awwww... why post pictures when I'm on a diet. noooooo!! I can't eat fries right now  

Anyway, my friends find it weird that I eat eggs with a soy sauce. Actually now that I think about it, I eat almost everything with a soy sauce including hotdogs and corned beef. hmmm..

Posted

mismei

True! lakas mamahiya ng mga pinoy. dami matalino sa social media  

Posted

mismei

Sourabh.Kumar wrote:
What five new words did you learn today?
I learned these words today:
1. Nonversation :- A conversation that seems meaningless or ridiculous.
2. Halcyon :- Peaceful, happy
3. Speculate :- Form a theory on something without a firm knowledge
4. Ornery :- Difficult to deal with
5. Bawl :- Weep or Cry noisily

How come the word "nonversation" is not popular lol. I could've used it very often  

Posted

mismei

I love hiking and nature tripping! I also make sure I go out of town at least once a month. I watch K-dramas and read books usually at night before I go to sleep :)

Posted

mismei

leosmith wrote:
Rai.S. wrote:
Do you have any links on Korean grammar?

I'm sure ikaymoreno will answer too, but I just wanted to share these:
Korean from Zero - A free online textbook that's a great way to start with grammar.
Talk to me in Korean (TTMIK) - The best all-around resource for studying Korean also has excellent free grammar lessons, audio and PDFs, that go far beyond Korean from Zero.
How to Study Korean is another great free site with free grammar lessons (text only). I've only used lesson 11, because it fills in a big hole the the 2 previous resources covered incompletely (Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Days, Weeks, Months, Years)
Click Korean gets many positive reviews. I checked it out a bit, and like it, but I didn't use it because my other resources were sufficient.

Thanks for these!!! I'm visiting Korea in 4 months, gotta study hard!  

Posted

mismei

Mel.Palogan wrote:
I'm sure you've searched for cool songs based on the language you're studying. Share them here please!
Here's mine. This is a song from the anime Slam Dunk. I remember my Japanese teacher sang this one time when we were at the karaoke lol. It may sound silly but I learned a lot of new words with this song.

one of my favorite anime theme songs!!

Posted

mismei

Aileen.Cortes wrote:

hahaha! Hello there kpop fans!

BLINK here  

Posted

mismei

Jackiya01 wrote:

How many languages are there in the world?

Perhaps start with how many languages are spoken in your country. In Kenya we have 68 languages derived from different communities/tribes.

Interesting! That's quite a lot! 

Posted

mismei

Jackiya01 wrote:
maebrizuela wrote:
I have a lot! Guess I never Learned :sweat_smile:
I bought this laptop table which looks very sturdy and boasted it can carry up to 25kg but when I finally got it and put my laptop on it, its legs became woobly lol.
And also the nice dresses worn by korean models. I bought one and it's obviously different from the one on the picture. It's kind of the same, like they copied the color and the style but it's really not exactly the same. I think they made the dress themselves and got the inspiration from those pictures they get from the internet lol.

sorry for your experience. Hard lessons , don't trust online shopping.

Yeah.but everything looked so nice online!  

Posted

mismei

I have a lot! Guess I never Learned  

I bought this laptop table which looks very sturdy and boasted it can carry up to 25kg but when I finally got it and put my laptop on it, its legs became woobly lol. 

And also the nice dresses worn by korean models. I bought one and it's obviously different from the one on the picture. It's kind of the same, like they copied the color and the style but it's really not exactly the same. I think they made the dress themselves and got the inspiration from those pictures they get from the internet lol. 

Posted

mismei

Mel.Palogan wrote:

On point!  

Posted

mismei

Right, it's hard enough to study one. And there they are.. learning multiple languages! 

Posted

mismei

Frederick.Dizon wrote:
Alex.M wrote:
Work life balance is important. But the worst is wasting countless hours commuting

Yup. That's why I like my set up now, working from home.

Interesting! I also have a few projects working from home. I'm also thinking of making it full time but I love my regular job. hmm..

Posted

mismei

I do have a regular day job Mondays thru Fridays 8am to 5pm. I manage my online business at the same time and I go out or just rest on weekends. It's also easy to file a vacation leave if I want to travel or go out of town so I can say everything is balanced in my life right now. 

Best thing about my job is that I don't have to bring it home or something. I only work at the office and it stays in the office. I don't think of work when I'm outside. It's probably the key to work-life balance. 

But yeah, commuting is a problem! I spend like a total of 3 to 4 hours on the road going to and from work. But I sleep while traveling so I guess it's okay? :) 

Posted

mismei

I'm a fan of Percy Jackson books. But the movie adaptations.... nah. I don't know. Or maybe I was expecting too much. Hunger Games is okay for me :)

Posted

mismei

Oghenekevwe wrote:
For me it's easier speaking cos I can find short cuts, but with writing, you have to be exact. What do you guys think?

I think it's easier to learn speaking a foreign language than writing, because you can learn easily just by listening to somebody talk. But with writing, it's a different story. There are rules in combining letters and it's hard to memorize everything. But yeah, it may also depend on the person :)

Posted

mismei

Rai.S. wrote:
Hello Alex. I'm new here as well. Let's learn different languages together.

Love your pic! I know why you wanted to learn Korean  

Posted

mismei

ikaymoreno wrote:
Bugs and other weird things aisde, "Killing me softly" from Tarlac. They hit the chicken (while alive) repeatedly with a stick so it develops bruises. They said it makes it yummier. I just find it too...brutal so even though it's just chicken, I have no desire to taste it.

Yeah, I heard of that too. I feel bad for the chicken  

Posted

mismei

Aileen.Cortes wrote:
Tamilok?

I tried the Fried tamilok when I was in Surigao. I just can't say No to the locals lol. It wasn't really that bad. But the "kinilaw" is too much! Slimy raw tamilok soaked in vinegar?? I kennaaaat  

Posted

mismei

Nursalyn wrote:
Nobody here eating BALUT?

It's a NO for me  

Posted

mismei

Nursalyn wrote:
yeah Ari awesome! we should try this very exciting,,,,,,mismei we should plan for adventurous even not there even our country that whould be nice...:smiley:

Yesssss!! Just the easy fun climbs lol. I'm now retired for difficult major climbs as I now easily get tired after 10 steps while hiking. Oh, I'm getting old  

Posted

mismei

Aileen.Cortes wrote:

This is me and my daughter when we climb Tarak Ridge here in the Philippines on her birthday. It took us 11 hours, it hurts so good the next morning. :joy:

Niceee!! I also wanted to go there but I never had the chance

Posted

mismei

Cool!!! I also used to climb mountains. The highest I've been to was Mt.Pulag in the Philippines at 2922 MASL, we took the Akiki Trail and it took us 2 days to the summit! There were three trails but it's the hardest one. It also has the most beautiful and diverse view while hiking. It was really cold at the top. I can't imagine how cold would that be in Mt. Kenya considering the snow and the altitude. Good job!!!

Posted

mismei

Michelle.Batan wrote:
In my opinion, the weirdest food we have in Philippines is BALUT. It is a developing bird embryo that is boiled and eaten from the shell. I havent tried it yet. :joy:

+1  

I only tried the "sabaw" should we call it soup lol.

Posted

mismei

Awesome! Netflix just got better with this  

Posted

mismei

And I thought only we, Filipinoes, has a lot of different dialects. Interesting!

Posted

mismei

Great! Gotta save this one. Also planning on taking IELTS soon! 

Posted

mismei

Oh, this makes sense! Now I noticed, I feel different when I'm speaking in a foreign language. Especially when you are trying really hard to mimic their accent. It seems like you're indeed becoming a different person. 

Posted

mismei

Alex.M wrote:
Hi everyone. I am so glad I found this site. I have a passion for languages and I am looking forward to learn a lot here. I am currently trying to learn Japanese and Chinese.

Konnichiwa!!!

Posted

mismei

Loving this thread! I can now join a game show and win lol keep 'em coming!

Posted

mismei

Frederick.Dizon wrote:
It would be like playing charades. :grin::grin::grin:

True story!  

Posted

mismei

Great! This is very helpful!

Posted

mismei

edz.conde wrote:
I like Korean accent. Maybe because I'm addicted to korean dramas and artists. :blush: I also like British.

Annyeong!!! K-drama fan here I never liked the dubbed versions because I like hearing how they speak, it's so cute! And you can't miss "oppa's" voice of course!  

Posted

mismei

Smartchiny wrote:
I love the British Accent.

+1  

Posted

mismei

daming pinoy!!! meron po ba dito trying to learn Korean?  

Posted

mismei

Good point! That's true! I've also just started learning a different language and it wasn't easy. I wished I did it when I was young, when I was more flexible and receptive! And writing in a foreign language is waaaay more difficult. But yes, one step at a time and we'll get there :)

Posted

mismei

Feedback