bbyj's recent posts

Posts10Likes6Joined8/6/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Dutch, Vietnamese

Hello can you please add Glosbe for Dutch? Thank you!!

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
bbyj wrote:
Hello
The linking issue with Vietnamese was totally fixed in the last thread and it's awesome now. Though, I noticed this functionality is not present in the app on Android. Can this be added?
Thanks!

Hi b - just to clarify, join/split are not available on the app, so we are looking into adding them. That's what you are requesting here, right?

Yes, correct.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello

The linking issue with Vietnamese was totally fixed in the last thread and it's awesome now. Though, I noticed this functionality is not present in the app on Android. Can this be added?

Thanks!

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:
bbyj wrote:
Thank you so much I look forward to seeing the result.

I think we fixed this - can you please confirm?

Wow, this is amazing. Thank you so much. It's perfect!! Now, I just have to go back and redo the "phrases" as words... 

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

leosmith wrote:

bbyj wrote:
Is it possible to "link" words without removing the space between them?

I didn't realize this was an issue for Vietnamese. I will write a ticket to see if it can be fixed.

Thank you so much I look forward to seeing the result.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Good evening LanguageCrush,

I have a suggestion or question that is applicable to my TL of Vietnamese but may also be applicable to other languages as well. In Japanese and in Chinese, to my knowledge, several words may be made up by more than one character. For example, in Japanese, 綺麗 means "beautiful", whereas the two separate characters 綺 & 麗 are not interpreted individually to mean "beautiful". They instead have different meanings or have no meanings. 

This idea is represented also in Vietnamese. Please take the following examples:

• quần áo = clothing
    • quần = pants
    • áo = shirt
  • kế hoạch = plan
    • kế = by, doesn't really have a meaning on its own that I know of
    • hoạch = no meaning alone that I know of
  • tráng miệng = dessert
    • tráng = coat
    • miệng = mouth
  • bối rối = baffled, embarrassed, troubled, confused
    • bối = no meaning that I know of
    • rối = puppet

Hopefully this illustrates the common idea in Vietnamese language in which the two words really make up just one word. However, when I try to join them into one word to be categorized as a word in LanguageCrush, it removes the space between the words, thus saving it as quầnáo, kếhoạch, trángmiệng, and bốirối. These are not necessarily "phrases" and it is incorrect to write them like this in Vietnamese. 

Is it possible to "link" words without removing the space between them? 

Thank you.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello everyone,

I have an email from Anna with Easy Languages saying that we have permission to use their videos on the website. "You’re welcome to embed our YouTube videos on your website or include a link to one of our channels in your course or curriculum free of charge

However, if you’d like to download and re-upload one of our videos to another platform, you’ll need to purchase a license from us. Our prices for 5-year commercial licenses start at 600€."

We will just embed, so it looks like we can use their things. Please let me know if you want a copy of the email. Here's a few examples of their videos:

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello,

Has LanguageCrush considered partnering with Youtubers to offer, say, a month of subscription in exchange for a review on Youtube? It was an off chance that I even found out about LanguageCrush and think that a lot of people would love to learn on here if they had ever heard of it. Just curious what marketing LanguageCrush does or if that's even a goal for the tool.

Thanks

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

Hello leosmith,

I really appreciate such a quick and helpful response. That is how I am getting the issue with terms. I am on the app on Android 11. I'm glad to hear that you are working hard on the other issue. Will there be a dark mode added to the app? I love using it so far

leosmith wrote:

bbyj wrote:
noticed two bugs in Android app. 1.) When you tap "Terms and conditions", it doesn't open anything. 2.) Importing YouTube videos does not bring over the subtitles. Passage is empty

Thanks for you input, and sorry about those issues. Regarding 1) - how did you access that? I select the little down arrow at the bottom of the screen beneath Language Tools, then select terms and conditions at the bottom of the menu, and it displays properly. If this is what you are doing, can you tell me your android version/browser? 2) We are already working a ticket on this; hopefully it will be done in the next week or two.

Posted

- bbyj

Native
English

noticed two bugs in Android app. 1.) When you tap "Terms and conditions", it doesn't open anything. 2.) Importing YouTube videos does not bring over the subtitles. Passage is empty

Aside from that everything is great I love it and will update my review

Posted

- bbyj

Feedback