Fixed - Is there a way to fuse words?

Posts0Likes0Joined7/8/2018Location

Hi!

Yesterday I started to use the Reading section and I'm loving it so far, but I've found a small problem: there are words that are formed by combining two words and their meaning is slightly different or have a different nuance that what each word means independently. For example:

남자--> man

친구 --> friend

남자친구 --> boyfriend

I think it would be great if besides the "Split Word" option, we could also have a "Fuse Words" option. This way we could even save complete phrases meanings if we want to (which would be especially useful for idioms, for example).

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hi Meg,

You're in luck because we have a join words function. My apologies for not making a video on this yet. Just click the first word and drag to the second, or more, words. Then the join words button should show up beneath the bookmark button. There is a little "all" button there that allows you to do all instances in the passage at the same time too.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined7/8/2018LocationES
Native
English
Learning Spanish

Does this only work on the PC at the moment or should it work on my mobile?

Learning Spanish very slowly :)

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Bex wrote:
Does this only work on the PC at the moment or should it work on my mobile?

Both, but jointing and splitting are used only for languages without spaces (Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Thai), plus Korean which is often parsed really poorly. It's a "sever intensive" (I think that's the right expression; I'm not a computer guy) function, so we want to limit it to the languages that really need it.  

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined7/8/2018Location

leosmith wrote:
Hi Meg,
You're in luck because we have a join words function. My apologies for not making a video on this yet. Just click the first word and drag to the second, or more, words. Then the join words button should show up beneath the bookmark button. There is a little "all" button there that allows you to do all instances in the passage at the same time too.

I just tried it and it works perfectly. Thanks a lot!!! :D

Posted 
    Feedback