What did you learn about language learning this year?

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I'm just curious to know if you learned anything about learning languages either here or somewhere else. Personally, I learned that it's quite difficult to write a grammar book; it's taking me much longer than expected. I've also learned that building a site like this needs to be very hands on, but that's another story...

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I've learned that there's no 'one clear path' to language learning. You have to find what works for you and stick with it

I also learned that it's easy for you to lose sight of why you started in the first place.

I've learned to go at my own pace and not feel the need to compare my achievements with others.

Lastly, I learned that I really don't need to take attend a class physically to learn a language.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I've learned that it's quite okay to use the five (and only five) phrases you know, when you're truly desperate. Some attempt at communication is better than not trying at all. 

I used to try and get some fluency in a classroom setting before subjecting others to my newly-acquired language, but now I've decided a communication-first approach isn't the worst thing, when desperate.

Edited 
    Feedback